Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how do you replace cam seals (Plural)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:04 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you replace cam seals (Plural)

Not the distributor side. The inside of the engine. I need a step by step all the from Top Dead Centering from tightening bolts to spec. Thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Re: how do you replace cam seals (int3gra07)

do you mean valve seals??? Do you have the tools for this??
Old 12-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you replace cam seals (int3gra07)

I think he means the 2 seals that are behind the cam gears. Changing those is pretty straight forward. Use a guide on changing cam gears to get the gears off properly, then just use a pick to remove the seals....that's pretty much how I changed mine. Don't forget a small ammount of hondabond on the outside of the seal to prevent leaks. Good luck, took me about 2 hours to change mine out....only had to change one though(I could easily tell which one is leaking)
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Re: how do you replace cam seals (mstolars)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mstolars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he means the 2 seals that are behind the cam gears. Changing those is pretty straight forward. Use a guide on changing cam gears to get the gears off properly, then just use a pick to remove the seals....that's pretty much how I changed mine. Don't forget a small ammount of hondabond on the outside of the seal to prevent leaks. Good luck, took me about 2 hours to change mine out....only had to change one though(I could easily tell which one is leaking) </TD></TR></TABLE>

word I thought he meant valve seals because the two on the Cams were pretty easy to decipher...This will require untensioning and retensioning the timing belt though...So look up on how to do that..There are a few different methods (and the tensioner is self tensioning device...I usually tighten the tensioner bolt a little bit...Rotate crank until I feel the belt get real stiff then fully tighten it and rotate the crank around some more until I have my desired tension (that's assuming your tensioner is good, if its going bad youll have to Coat Hanger it or remove the lower cover and manually pry with a screw driver to create the tension)
Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The oil seals behind the cam gears do not get Hondabond. The plug on the other end of the exhaust cam does get Hondabond when installed.