Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do i detach the door panel? need to get to the regulators

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i detach the door panel? need to get to the regulators

my sister takes the car for one night and she brings it back with a broken crank handle and a half shut window.

i'm hoping it's not the regulator itself that's broken.

there's no way i can turn the little **** with any tool. i'll need to open up the panel and look inside and i can't find any bolts or screws. so it's gotta be snap off/on

any DYI out there for my need?

should i even bother doing this myself or take it to a shop?

TIA
Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Make and model?

You can just use the crank from the other side to roll the window up. Need to know make and model to know about the panel.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 CX Hatchback

i already used tools trying to turn the gear that plugs into the crank but then the window pushes out of it's course.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.faramarz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .faramarz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2000 CX Hatchback

i already used tools trying to turn the gear that plugs into the crank but then the window pushes out of it's course. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok...1 get a tray or small box to keep all the parts in so they don't get separated or lost
2...pull the small black philips head screw right behind the inside door handle
3...as if opening the door...pull on the handle and grab the panel that surrounds the handle and lock and wiggle it a little bit till it comes out...do not force it for the clips on the backside like to break and it will never sit properly again if they're broken
4...pull the small black philips head screw at the bottom of the door panel(DP) "cup" (the part you should be pulling on from the inside to close your door)...it should be facing upwards towards the roof...wiggle the cup out
5...pop off the front door speaker cover...you can usually grab from the bottom front edge and give a little pull and it should pop right off there should be 3 brass screws around the front speaker
6...there should be a plastic screw towards the upper front edge of the DP
these are sometimes a little tricky cuz as you try to unscrew the screw the thing holding said screw in spins as you unscrew...i use a pick tool to hold it still as i take the screw out...then after you get the screw out, take the screw "holder" out
7...there should be a small triangular piece at the top front edge of the DP
on EX models with tweeters, this panel pops right off if you pull from the top of the triangle and let the triangle dangle with the tweeter in it....other models without tweeters or power mirrors should do the same but there should be no wires to keep the triangle from coming out completely with a little wiggle
8...if there is any part of the window crank left on the door it will also need to be removed in order to inspect the regulator...they usually have a "jesus clip" that keeps them in...DO NOT LOSE THIS CLIP!!!! they're tiny and easily lost as they usually go FLYING into outer space as you get them out..but if you use a right angle pick tool and kinda cup your hand around the area as you remove this clip you can usually defend against clip loss cuz it will kinda jump into your hand
9...double check for any more screws you may have missed and if all are removed from the panel you should be able to start at the bottom of the DP closest to the speaker and give a gentle tug on the DP itself...it should "pop" right off...continue down towards the rear of the DP in the same fashion popping the plastic retainer clips about every 6 inches apart along the bottom...then you should be able to pop the clips going up the backside of the DP and the frontside as well...after you have clearly popped all clips and door panel appears free....while pulling out on bottom edge of DP...push/lift up on the "rear" bottom corner of the panel as to angle the DP up like lambo style..the DP is attached to the gasket along the top edge so do not pull too hard..but from here you should be able to slide the DP up along the window and it should come right off

hope this helps and that i was thorough enough
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jz98ctr)

thanks a lot man. it helped big time.

the inner end of the window had fallen off rail. with a little pushing and shoving i got it back on track, put the panel back and now i only need a new crank. either new for 25$ or junkyard for 10$ if i get lucky and find the same color.

thanks again

that **** wasn't easy to figure at first lool
Old 11-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.faramarz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .faramarz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks a lot man. it helped big time.

the inner end of the window had fallen off rail. with a little pushing and shoving i got it back on track, put the panel back and now i only need a new crank. either new for 25$ or junkyard for 10$ if i get lucky and find the same color.

thanks again

that **** wasn't easy to figure at first lool</TD></TR></TABLE>

typical problem with the window rails....mine's starting to give me a similar problem too....lotta times just need to take the panel off and tighten a couple screws
glad to help man...