Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to "clean" an engine apart

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to "clean" an engine apart

My friend has an integra LS. He pulled the LS motor and dropped an ITR in there. Now he sold the ITR (it's already been pulled) and with that money he wants to turbocharge the LS that's been sitting in his garage for god knows how long. So I go to take a look at it...it was a ******* mess. Like half assembled and **** on the floor - no towels or anything over the cylinders or head, camshafts & headgasket on the dusty floor. My question is, well the first part being a statement: If any of this **** stays on the internals when we put the engine back together, it's gonna expletive itself before we leave his shop. So how should I clean all the (year?'s) worth of dust and dirt 'n **** off of all these internals? The Only thing I can think of is to completely dismantael everything, clean each part individually, and reassemble it on a stand from the ground up. So what should I do? Wet rag w/ soap 'n water? Maybe a degreaser in there? I mean we're gonna replace the pistons but the cylinder walls are dusty 'n ****....the whole f8king block needs to be washed... I mean we're gonna replace the head gasket and such...but the cams and valves and stuff are staying (just using eagle rods + some brand I never heard of forged pistons, AEM fuel rail, AFPR, etc.)

Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look up an episode of American Hotrod where they custom build a big block for a kit corvette. when they custom made the engine it was all dirty cuz it sat near some vent or whatever so they dropped it in some type of quick bath which made it beautiful.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (axtran)

You want me to put an LS in my bathtub? I don't think the RA's in my dorm would appreciate that. And I don't think my dad'd appreciate it in his house....
Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

its an acid wash, and its not a terrible idea, definately the quick route.

grease typically isnt a problem, and isnt really difficult to clean up, just be generous with the degreaser.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rlockwood)

I don't care if it's the quick route or not...just need it to not be there - dun care about the time or supplies...but I don't have a bathtub big enough for this deal :-\

Or lemme rephrase:
I'm not going to put this LS in my bathtub for obvious reasons...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

A machine shop should have an area to tank it in brake cleaner. Acid and caustic pit aluminum especially at heat. I know people do it but not my first choice.

I take heads down all the time and let them soak overnight. Guys charge me $10 a head to soak and they come back perfectly clean. They also rinse them afterwards and spray wd or rust protect on metal.

A parts washer would be nice but since you don't have room. Get a coffee can or a metal tub and some brake cleaner (cheap at walmart if they have it) and some wire brushes. Clean everything well even bolts/nuts and such.

Hope this helps you.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:46 AM
ECX
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sauceja)