Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hot to check a used transmission if it's good

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot to check a used transmission if it's good

Just bought a VX Transmission and the seller said it has about 100K on it. It has been sitting in the shed, so no rust that I can see, however the oil looked grayish but w/o shavings when I drained it.

I wanted to know how you can check whether the transmission is good or not when it is off the car, or when you buy a used transmission.

The input shaft spins freely and I see that the axles sockets move. However I noticed that there is about 2-5 degrees of slack in the input shaft when you turn it. For example I turn it clockwize and then suddenly turn it counterclockwize, I hear a click like there is about 2-5 degrees of gap between a gear. Is this normal?

In general is there no real way of testing a transmission off a car w/o taking it apart?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hot to check a used transmission if it's good (tadaima)

I don't think there's a real good way to test it without pulling it apart and checking the gears and clearances and bearings.

The "slack" you refer to may just be backlash, which is common in almost any gearbox.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tadaima &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just bought a VX Transmission and the seller said it has about 100K on it. It has been sitting in the shed, so no rust that I can see, however the oil looked grayish but w/o shavings when I drained it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's weird, mine always looks like slightly used motor oil when I drain it (Honda MTF and Penz SM).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tadaima &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The input shaft spins freely and I see that the axles sockets move. However I noticed that there is about 2-5 degrees of slack in the input shaft when you turn it. For example I turn it clockwize and then suddenly turn it counterclockwize, I hear a click like there is about 2-5 degrees of gap between a gear. Is this normal?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it's normal 'backlash' of the gears.

I'd say if all the bearings turn freely, I don't think there's much else you can do besides opening it to check it. It sounds like it's okay to me though. I could be wrong, so bump for you.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Hot to check a used transmission if it's good (EX_AutoXer)

Well i never installed a tranny or purchase a use one so figure there would be a decent way of checking. The oil turned gray probably due to condensation in the air or some water getting in during transportation or storage.

Hopefully this tranny will give me better mileage with the tall gears. I know performance wize this is a bad situation, but I used my del sol si for commuting and having the short gears in traffic is annoying, going from 1st and 2nd all the time. I remember driving the VX and felt comfortable in 1st during traffic.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only way to know if the gears/synchros are good before installing it would be to take it apart.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Hot to check a used transmission if it's good (Marauder)

Spin the input shaft. If it makes a noise like there is sand in there then its bad. That of course wont check your synchros and if this was a used tranny there is a good chance the synchros will be worn out. Dont bother putting it in if the input shaft doesnt spin quietly though...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Hot to check a used transmission if it's good (95excoupe)

Well there is noise, but not sure if its sand though. More like things moving I guess. Always could be the input bearing
Old 12-09-2004, 10:49 AM

Some slight noise is okay, you will know though when you hear it if its majorly damaged. I put a couple trannies in cars and when you take the bad one out if you spin the input shaft it makes some horrible sounds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tadaima &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well there is noise, but not sure if its sand though. More like things moving I guess. Always could be the input bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the input shaft and try to move it up and down, It should feel solid.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Hot to check a used transmission if it's good (spoonek9)

Definately no play in terms of up/down movement.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be good to put it in it sounds like.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. push the clutch down if you hear a slight whirring sound either your throw out bearing is bad, or the input shaft bearing is bad. it will be an instant sound as you push the clutch down. and goes away once you release the clutch

2. once in gear and you hear the same whirring sound. your main shaft bearings could be bad.sound in all gears

3. and if you get a whirring sound only in specific gears and not others. you need to replace the differential shims. or the teeth on that specific gear is chipped or off alignment.

the whirring sound will be similiar to a bearing gone bad on a skateboard wheel.when you spin it. &lt;&lt; no other example to give

best way is to install and listen.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Electrician

Either take it apart and completely check every component's clearance with a feeler gauge and what not or just install it. No real way to tell.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Dimi)

It will probably be OK. I had a tranny sitting on our back lawn for 3 months & it had some rust, and I eventually swapped it in the car & it still runs the same as it did. Granted, this wasn't the best way to store it, but, eh it works.