Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm

sup guys... i recently did an integra brake(95) upgrade on my eg. i switched the arm with its spindle assembly and hub and clipers and the brakes work fine..

But the steering is now horrible.. i checked that the ball joints were ok and they are pretty stiff and not shot.. the rim doesnt shake in either top to bottom or side to side.. lug nuts are on tight and everything is pretty much bolted down solid.. My steering is so bad i need to turn the wheel alot to get that thing to turn ...

Im thinking that its that i just need an alignement asap.. car feels pretty loose and very unsafe to drive.. could there be anything else thats causing this??? or is alignment sounding what needs to be done.. thanks guys!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (95civic4dr)

alignment or bent arm...
Old 08-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (pgpunkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alignment or bent arm...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same thing happened after I did mine. I just took the knuckle out and swapped the stock arm back on and everything was fine.

-Shane
Old 08-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (pgpunkguy)

I would get a front end alignment first.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (95civic4dr)

i swapped 95 eg sir front assy' onto my 91 hatch and had the same problem it's because you are now running positive camber, - when you have positive camber steering effort decreases. jsut get an alignment kit or drop your car down and it'll fix the problem

Old 08-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (baseballinmyass)

well guys heres an update.. i lowered the car to the right ride height.. but that didnt help... but i did notice that when i put the steering wheel straight the tires were not straight.. also there is some slant in the wheels. it literally feel like im driving on water sometime when im turning.. i think now after seeing the steering wheel and tire location im almost convinced its an alignment issue.. although i know alot have done this swap and not had this problem i guess i was not so lucky .. im gettting an alignment done tomorow morning and will let you know what happens.. thanks so far for your comments
Old 08-29-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its normal for your alignment to be way off after taking off your spindles. Just get that alignment and you'll be good.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (baseballinmyass)

im sorry about this comment...

but that is the UGLIEST brake setup in the entire world! The caliper is rusty but its got a blue stripe? and the rotor! did you make it yourself? is it from a old ford truck? Its got a BLUE hat and its got color in the brake dust slots...wow. That rotor is just...holy ****. They drill holes in it to make it lighter? then drill thousands of little holes to make it even lighter. Damn.
can i get a set of two? Seriously, where did you get those?

On topic: 95civic4dr, when you say arm, do you mean camber bar (UCA) or LCA?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (Redline96LX)

the only arm that got switched was the arm that is connected to the wheel hub which holds the rotor,caliper etc.. assemly.. the arm that goes up and down.. not the one on top.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sorry about this comment...

but that is the UGLIEST brake setup in the entire world! The caliper is rusty but its got a blue stripe? and the rotor! did you make it yourself? is it from a old ford truck? Its got a BLUE hat and its got color in the brake dust slots...wow. That rotor is just...holy ****. They drill holes in it to make it lighter? then drill thousands of little holes to make it even lighter. Damn.
can i get a set of two? Seriously, where did you get those? if you're a homo reply to baseball's post.

On topic: 95civic4dr, when you say arm, do you mean camber bar (UCA) or LCA?</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut up and get a life
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sorry about this comment...

On topic: 95civic4dr, when you say arm, do you mean camber bar (UCA) or LCA?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rust will disappear with a lap arround the block, as for the color who cares. Mabe you dont like the color but did you honestly thing anyone wanted to know? also the holes drilled into it arent for the purpose of making it lighter its for heat displacement. did you build up your post count of over 1300 mainly with posts like these?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the holes drilled into it arent for the purpose of making it lighter its for heat displacement.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Apparently, you don't know much about brakes.

Modern cross-drilled rotors are used for looks purposes, and nothing more. They are potentially dangerous due to accelerated cracking under high heat and stress conditions; the drilled holes act as stress risers. That particular rotor in the picture has been way overdone, and will crack more easily than any other rotor I've seen. Good luck driving on that
Old 08-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (Targa250R)

they arent that much different than wilwoods srp drilled rotors. Obviously wilwoods have more surface area and more material between the holes but you can see what im getting at.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (monicle)

heres a good read for anyone who "doesnt know much about brakes" who might want to know more.
http://www.chris-longhurst.com....html
Old 08-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so back on my topic lol... i got the car aligned today and found out it was a major toe in and out issue i was having with the new upgrade... that was it.. now she drives great.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres a good read for anyone who "doesnt know much about brakes" who might want to know more.
http://www.chris-longhurst.com....html</TD></TR></TABLE>
Modern brake pads do not outgas as described in his article. He is talking about rotor modification as a solution to 1950s brake pad technology.

I find it funny that while he was talking about Formula 1, he neglected to mention that F1 brake rotors are blanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civic4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so back on my topic lol... i got the car aligned today and found out it was a major toe in and out issue i was having with the new upgrade... that was it.. now she drives great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

also forgot to mention that you tie rods need to be turned way out. i had the same problem. yes i know that those rotors are ricey but they measure 12" whereas stock was 10".
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: horrible steering after integra brake upgrade with teg arm (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Modern brake pads do not outgas as described in his article. He is talking about rotor modification as a solution to 1950s brake pad technology.

I find it funny that while he was talking about Formula 1, he neglected to mention that F1 brake rotors are blanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might as well just stop ppl dont have common sence or care to learn about these kinds of rotors, after about the tenth person I gave up trying to tell them there crap. I just laugh at then when there rotors crack, and there braking is worse and not better from fade.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civic4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so back on my topic lol... i got the car aligned today and found out it was a major toe in and out issue i was having with the new upgrade... that was it.. now she drives great.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I had the same problem glad you figured it out