Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Horn does not work! Please help! 2000 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn does not work! Please help! 2000 Honda Civic EX

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX that I am trying to get the horn working properly on (no aftermarket horn suggestions please) but have had no luck. I have disconnected the horn and run power to it and it works fine. When I use the keyless entry fob the horn sounds without an issue through the normal wiring. I also checked the horn fuse (15 amp) under the hood and that checks okay. I have traced the red/blue wire from the horn through the firewall to the fuse panel under the dash and those wires look okay. Once at the fuse panel under the hood the wiring gets a little trickier but I do not see anything visibly disconnected or in poor condition. I have changed the horn relay that is behind the kickpanel by the mirror and sunroof switches (if that is the correct relay) and that has made no difference.

Ultimately, I have come to the conclusion that it is something in the clock spring or the horn buttons themselves because I do not get a single click from a relay either under the hood or under the dash when either of the horn buttons are pressed. The SRS light is also on and I have read that this can effect the horn since SRS is tied into the clock spring. I am looking for feedback about if other people have changed the clock spring and if that would correct my issue.

I would appreciate any help! Inspection is due at the end of the month and I would rather not put a rigged horn on it. Thank you for your time!

Eric
Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Horn does not work! Please help! 2000 Honda Civic EX

I'd put money on the button pads or the wiring leading from the buttons to the fuse block. If neither button works, it's got to be somewhere further up the line., before the wire splits and leads to each button individually. Clearly, the horns operate but they're just not getting the circuit completed when you press the buttons on the steering wheel. My advice would be to backprobe the horn relay @ the fuse block. probe the "little side" circuit on the relay. IIRC, the big circuit (leading from the relay to the horn) is hot at all times and gets ground when activated. The "little side" (side leading from the steering wheel to the relay) is cold at all times and gets voltage when the button(s) are pressed. Confirm with the service manual on that one, though, I might be wrong. Tape the horn buttons down or something, remove the fuse block so you can get to the backside of it, then with a multi-meter, wiring diagram and a couple t-pins start testing the horn relay (with it still plugged in). I'd bet it's not getting proper ground or power on the small circuit. Once you find out which wire is not getting what it needs, it's a matter of tracing from the fuse block up towards the steering wheel. Yes, you might have to start removing panels and drop the column. maybe even pop the wheel off... depends on how far down that rabbit hole you want to go. How badly do you want horns?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Horn does not work! Please help! 2000 Honda Civic EX

might be the clock reel. that's what happened on my del sol. Replaced that, my horn and cruise control started working again.