Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hood stuck shut!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood stuck shut!!

Went to change the oil yesterday on my 98 ex coupe and the hood release didn't pop when I pulled the lever. Its always been a little tricky and have needed someone to lift up on the hood when the release was pulled at times. This time nothing happened so I figure either the cable is kinked or snapped. Does anyone have an idea as to how to get the hood open so I can get to the parts I need to work on??
Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hood stuck shut!! (AlpineX)

Has the car been wrecked?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Hood stuck shut!! (rleonekc)

Car has never been wrecked. The hood is in good shape other than being very slightly out of line on the drivers side from when the previous owner apparently tried to shut it with the support arm still up. When I say very slightly I mean it is less than 1/8 inch away from being flush with the fender, it sits just a bit higher. The only real damage, very minimal though, is around the hole in the hood where the suport arm goes in. I have had the car for over two years and its never been this bad. Just need to figure out how to get it open!!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Hood stuck shut!! (AlpineX)

i've heard that if you take out the cover in your wheel bay on your front driver side you can get to the hood latch cable...at least thats how they are with the integras and del sols....you can try that if you get pretty desperate...my friend's been telling me to re route it to be inside the engine bay cuz it kind of makes it easy for anyone to get in if they really want...hope this helps
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood stuck shut!! (baeken)

The hood latch is directly connected to the hood release via cable, and is readily accessible if you just look behind the release lever. You don't really need to take out your wheel cover yet. Access the cable and tug on it, is it attached to anything, or is it just flopping around and giving no tension?

I'm only asking these questions because I have a "trick" hood, where the cable has come off the bracket that maintains tension, and thus renders the cable useless unless I maintain the tension. Check to see if the cable has just snapped off the bracket due to its age. They're only held on by a tiny plastic ring, which can break after some years.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Hood stuck shut!! (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The hood latch is directly connected to the hood release via cable, and is readily accessible if you just look behind the release lever. You don't really need to take out your wheel cover yet. Access the cable and tug on it, is it attached to anything, or is it just flopping around and giving no tension?

I'm only asking these questions because I have a "trick" hood, where the cable has come off the bracket that maintains tension, and thus renders the cable useless unless I maintain the tension. Check to see if the cable has just snapped off the bracket due to its age. They're only held on by a tiny plastic ring, which can break after some years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah! do what he says first...less work is always better than more!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If that doesnt work you need to get under the car and push the hood latch open manually.