Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

honda eg vtec-e

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help vtec-e

okay i have a 1.5 vtec-e engine on my 92 eg hatch

and they told me if i put intake manifolds from a normal vtec engine and i put headers from a normal vtec engine i will be running like a normal vtec engine
o yeah and a vtec computer??
does any body know anything about this??

please help me.. i need to kno

Modified by jdm_eg_iggy at 11:00 PM 6/13/2008
Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the po7/vx/z1 is the slowest motor out there, in the d series, i think.... im pretty sure it wont,
Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

yea they told me its because of the manifold because its smaller and restricted and the headers catylist is like rite on it and because the computer
Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vtec-e does something different with the intake valves, i don't think it has anything to do with headers and intake manifolds.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: please help vtec-e (jdm_eg_iggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Vtec-e does something different with the intake valves, i don't think it has anything to do with headers and intake manifolds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it only runs (I think it's half the intake valves, so 16-4=12) valves at low RPM to save on gas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the po7/vx/z1 is the slowest motor out there, in the d series, i think.... im pretty sure it wont, </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the D15B8 ('92-'95 CX) is def. slower.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_eg_iggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay i have a 1.5 vtec-e engine on my 92 eg hatch

and they told me if i put intake manifolds from a normal vtec engine and i put headers from a normal vtec engine i will be running like a normal vtec engine
o yeah and a vtec computer??
does any body know anything about this??

please help me.. i need to kno

Modified by jdm_eg_iggy at 11:00 PM 6/13/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't really mess with VTEC-E but I think there's a little more to it than that (I could be completely wrong). The manifolds are more restrictive, and you'll need the P28 ECU because the VTEC-E uses a lean burn setup, but VTEC has regular profile lobes and VTEC profiled lobes - I don't think VTEC-E has that (I know 3 stage does).

My guess is u gotta do something with the head, either a Z6 or JDM D15B head, or maybe a Z6 cam, somebody could tell you more about that, but I'm pretty sure it's more than just the manifolds and computer.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM

Default Re: please help vtec-e (Syndacate)

yah ima put in the p-28 ecu 2morro 2 c if it does anything diffrent but idk

wut to do to make that thing faster
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help vtec-e (jdm_eg_iggy)

just changing the ECU with a p28 is not going to do anything. It will probably make it run like poop.

The vtec-e engine like someone else said is designed internally for gas mileage, it only runs half the valves at low rpms to save gas, and then when the vtec-e kicks in it runs all of them, while still saving more gas than a regular vtec engine.

changing the intake manifold and header will only do alittle bit. Probably not enough not notice.

Also theres only a few heads u can put on that block and i think they all require different pistons. I read up on ALL of the stuff about vtec-e back when i almost got a civic with that motor.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help vtec-e (VtecCivic93)

The D15Z1 has a completely different set of rocker arms, to my knowledge it even uses roller rockers, but the head is different from the normal D16Z6 VTEC head. The D15Z1 VTEC-E head is dubbed the "Star Trek" head. My 2¢
Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 AM

damm then im just goin to swap that motor for a normal sohc vtec d16
Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what vtec-e does is not that is uses 4 less valves or anything, but just as normal vtec opens the valve more vtec (larger cam profile), vtec-e allows it to run a smaller cam profile (economy) then opens them a tad bit farther for when you pass the crossover (the vtec effect, lol). I think though if you want it to run like a d16/d15b you'll have to use those heads. The vtec-e cam doesnt have a big enough profile to get those numbers.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (z6hatchboy)

tanks alot bro but is that mini-me swap hard
Old 06-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm_eg_iggy)

Anytime, its not a hard swap at all. Use the search button theres one great write up i know of that covers everything with doing the mini-me, and there may be more write ups than that. Your already wired for vtec too and thats like the hardest part sometimes so you should be good.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. No, everything in this thread is completely wrong.

VTEC-E has nothing to do with VTEC except that they were put into production at the same time so the same physical switching mechanism was used for both. But they are different technologies. The head is completely different internally and switching the ECU, intake and exhaust manifolds is not going to convert it to VTEC.

No you cannot easily do a mini-me on your engine because the pistons are flat and that will give you extremely low compression. What you want to do is swap the complete engine for a low-mileage JDM engine.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (baller status)

FROM WIKIPEDIA..... (and thank you baller status)

SOHC VTEC-E
Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why is there an argument about what VTEC-E is... they were trying to tell the OP that just simply changing the manifold and ECU will not make his car a normal VTEC motor...
Old 06-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rok_Stok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rok_Stok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FROM WIKIPEDIA..... (and thank you baller status)

SOHC VTEC-E
Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take information from wikipedia with a grain of salt.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rSol93)

haha, but they sure do make it sound believable.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow. No, everything in this thread is completely wrong.

VTEC-E has nothing to do with VTEC except that they were put into production at the same time so the same physical switching mechanism was used for both. But they are different technologies. The head is completely different internally and switching the ECU, intake and exhaust manifolds is not going to convert it to VTEC.

No you cannot easily do a mini-me on your engine because the pistons are flat and that will give you extremely low compression. What you want to do is swap the complete engine for a low-mileage JDM engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf? I mentioned your first half, except you re-phrased it. Your second half is wrong, you can easily do a mini-me with that. My 2nd wtf goes to "the pistons are flat and that will give you extremely low compression." If they are indeed flat like b7 piston then it will be the exact same as a mini-me minus the oil feed plug on the block b/c of the z1 he has. Dish=low comp and dome=high comp, so flat does not yield extremely low comp.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why is there an argument about what VTEC-E is... they were trying to tell the OP that just simply changing the manifold and ECU will not make his car a normal VTEC motor... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i remember reading something that swapping a head without swapping the pistons will be difficult because the pistons sit higher or something. I read it on here i beleive.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can't headswap the d15z1 motor, because it has super dished pistons and a super high compression head. When you remove the head and put on a z6 one it drops the comp. to like 8.5 to 1 or something very low. The rod bearings and rods are very weak, there is no upgrade for the rods either.

Get a d15B and start from there. Its still a 1.5L that you can be proud of but its perfomance v-tec, d15b puts out the power equivilent of a d16z6.