Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

honda distributor cap vs. integra one

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 honda distributor cap vs. integra one

are the civic distributor caps interchangable witht he integra ones??
my msd setup is nto working, and theres no acura dealership here only honda, and they dont have the cap. will a civic one work? its a 96 ls motor in a 93 cx hatch
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Re: honda distributor cap vs. integra one

Go to an autoparts store and pick one up. Why do you need to go to the dealership? The caps are close but from my experience, a D16y7 cap WOULD NOT fit on my b18c1.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. i checked advanced....they have it online...i hope they have it in th srtore or can get it soon. ii hooked up an msd coil rotor cap kit
cranked it...wouldnt start. so im liek wtf. and i tinkered with it...and its not turniong on...i hope back to stock will work.

and another question...when i was hooking up my battry, the ratched went loose and touched both terminals..melted a piece of one off...do u thinkt he blastr ss coil wouldve fried? or could it be somethign else?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Ouch. You probably popped somethin. I doubt you blew the coil. That's what the fuses are for. Check all your fuses and relays. I'll bet one or more just blew.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im a noob
were are the fuses? i know theres the underhood one...but where are the other fuses and relays>?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM

The underhood fuse box SHOULD be all you need. The other one is on the driverside under the dash. Start with the underhood fuses. If you're not sure just check em all. Couldn't hurt.

Where is RON with some nice diagrams?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i think my heater one is blown...how do i check the big black ones? or are those relays?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

You think? Is that the only one? I'm willing to bet its a fuse. Keep checking. You can't "see" when a relay is good or bad. I forget the test procedure. But I would stick with checking fuses first
Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok
il go check agian

do u think i fired my starter?
or my battery?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM

What happens when you try to start it? did it start before you installed the MSD?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. so i went out and checked. um its not my heater one..its the coolign fan fuse...which the cover says is a 15 amp, the fuse is a 10. um...everythign else checks out..the battery fuse had a little silver line down the middle. the rest is copper. but it wasnt split or anything. and m the ecu fuse is a 20 a not a 15. and i dont have a heater nor a condenser...so those fuses shouldnt really matter right?

as far as before and after, my car cluynked out on me 3 weeks ago. its a 93 hatch with 96 ls wswap. i was driving down the road, and it simply turned off...liek the lights were on and stuff...it just wasnt running. so then the next morning i tried turning it on...it would stay on as long as id give it gas...but when i stepp off of throttle, it jsut turned off...liek it wouldnt idel...it would just drop from whatever i revved it to to zero. so i took off my intake mani, throttle body, iacv, cleaned them all, rteplaced the gaskets, and i got an msd external coil kit to cancel out any stock stuff that mnay be wrong.

so then i started it up without the msd kit, and it wouldnt idle...but i put on my fuel rail and fpr also, so i still dont know if i jhave correct fuel pressure.

so i turned the screw on the throttle body to keep it open a bit, as a forced idle basically, and then drove it around, but im pretty sure it was driving lean, and then it idled at 1200 once everything flowed back through it.

so i came home and wile im still waiting on my fuel gauge to come in, i hooked up the msd.

it sounds liek the starter is trying to start it...liek that szz-szz-szz-szz sound, but its just not turning on.

sorry for the novel
Old 05-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Damn man. Sounds like a headache. So it won't crank over at all now? If thats the case its either the starter or battery for just that part. Have you tried charging the battery or jumping it to see if it cranks? If that checks out try tapping the starter while someone tries to start it. Starter could be going out. Once you get it started again try working on the fuel pressure. That shouldn't get all out of whack if you have the stock parts still on it.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Damn man. Sounds like a headache.
----it is...but your helping lol so thats all that counts.

So it won't crank over at all now?
----crank over...what does that mean? like its making noise liek it wants to start...not liek the engine actaully strting a bnit liek theres explosions and stuff moving...but like the noise it makes on a dead battery.

If thats the case its either the starter or battery for just that part.
-----*** lol.

Have you tried charging the battery or jumping it to see if it cranks?
-----i had it tested yestersay. 12.87 volts. 581 cca, rated 520. havent tested it since trying to turn it on. dont have a charger nor do i have anybody to jump it lol

If that checks out try tapping the starter while someone tries to start it. Starter could be going out.
-----tapping the starter?

Once you get it started again try working on the fuel pressure. That shouldn't get all out of whack if you have the stock parts still on it.
-----i dont lol. bennen fuel rail, blox FPR. adjsutable. so im waiting on the gauge to see whaere its at...and do i measure fuel pressure with the car on? or with key urned twoice?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Like, does it just click when you try to start it? or does the engine actually turn over. By tapping the starter I mean take a hammer (small one) or something similar and give it a few whacks while someone tries to start the car. It sounds like you are saying it does "try" to start but just wont. Meaning it is missing air fuel or spark. Is your fuel pump coming on? Turn the key to the on position (2 clicks with the key) do you hear that whirring noise coming from the back seat area?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

click? like one click? or liek click-click-click-click like it wants to but doesnt ? cuz thats what its doing...klik-klik-klik-klik-klik but doesnt actauuly turn on. yes the fuel pump primes....and i think i hear it sending fuel the whoel time im trying to turn it on....but i do need my fuel pressure gauge to come on so i can see where its at
Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Well then it sounds to me like the battery isn't giving out enough amps. You can't have anyone get you a jump? I would try that. I honestly think thats what it is. At least why its not starting. As far as it running rough, could be a number of things but all of which you will just be guessing at untill you can get it running.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok...so if i get someone to jump me...im sorry im = *** lol. liek when someone jumps you...that byopasses the starter and everythign else...am i correct? so when they jump you...its up to your distributor to keep giving out spark and your battery to keep the charge?

oh and one thign i forgot to mention...after i "shorted
" the battery with the ratchet i put the neg wire to the terminal and there was blue spark. then after i tried cranking it...i disconnected the battery cuz i was diggin inside the distributor trying to see if one of my wiores got chopped or somethign...and when i was recoonnecting the negative wire to the batery, tyhere was no little spark that is usually there...dopes that eman anythign?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nsoman1ac
are the civic distributor caps interchangable witht he integra ones??
my msd setup is nto working, and theres no acura dealership here only honda, and they dont have the cap. will a civic one work? its a 96 ls motor in a 93 cx hatch
Go to Honda, order a distributor cap for a '99 - '00 Civic Si or a '94 - '97 Del Sol VTEC, both are the same and will work fine.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 PM

Just hook it up to the battery. It will give it that little extra umph that it needs to kick on the starter. If then, it cranks but still doesn't start then you know it still needs something. If you aren't getting spark and its not the fuses then try reverting your ignition system back to stock. Get a cap and try that.