Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack?

Ok, here's an odd question:

Does anyone here know of any specific ski racks that would fit a del Sol? It does have a stock spoiler on it, which could make this even harder. (I'm looking to carry skis and poles, not snowboards, if that makes any difference.)

I can always use another car for my ski trips, but I'd like the option.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack? (Bing0011)

I hate to be that guy who bumps himself, but I've noticed this get a lot less attention when they fall back to the 2nd page, so... bump.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 AM

I put snow boards on mine by using soft racks on the trunk. You can put them long ways on the trunk and tie them down with soft racks or a roap inside of the trunk lid. Fits great and keeps the car riding good.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack? (Hex420)

Yeah, its definitely possibly. Thuleracks.com has a roof rack system for your car. So it will work, but a new system is pretty damn expensive. I'm getting a roof rack for my eg hatch, but i've been finding all the deals on craiglist.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a website I found before when looking into this... I can't read japanese, so I don't know what it says

I like this solution best, but it doesn't look like it would work with a spoiler...
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack? (goforbroke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goforbroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, its definitely possibly. Thuleracks.com has a roof rack system for your car. So it will work, but a new system is pretty damn expensive. I'm getting a roof rack for my eg hatch, but i've been finding all the deals on craiglist.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I can tell you from exp. that the thule roof rack is nice I have one for mY EG. Just a few things 1st off driving with this thing on the car sucks even with the air deflector its like driving into a 20mph head wind. 2nd the way the rack mounts to the eg with the short roof line adapter, you end up with 2 feet in the door jamb this causes a lot of wind noise. Other than the 2 things that I have posted the system works well. I just tend not to use it very often I find it easier to toss the equipment inside the car.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:31 AM
MEAT PATTY

Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack? (instructor74)

It didn't think it would be that bad with the fairing, but I guess not....damn. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by their is only 2 feet in the door jam. I've been reading up on what attachments I need, but they all seem like they suck. It appears like they mount inside the door jam and then you have a little gap in your window, ugggggggg. Thats why I almost got a hitch style bike rack.

Thats what I have been doing with my mountain bike everyday, tossing it in my hatch. Its a huge pain in the *** though. I even managed to put a little hole in my seat .
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack? (De La Soul)

De La Soul,

Yeah, that picture is what I had in mind, but I know the spoiler would get in the way. I wonder if there's any sort of traditional "on top of the roof" type that would fit... I just dont want to have to put holes in my roof.

Thanks for all the replies though! I'm sure they'll be able to get me further.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM

I guess not to many surfers in the house. They sell something called Soft Racks that will fit on the roof with no holes. It has strapes that go through the window. You can take them off and on any time

http://www.wetsand.com/product...D=916

It should hold skies also
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goforbroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It didn't think it would be that bad with the fairing, but I guess not....damn. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by their is only 2 feet in the door jam. I've been reading up on what attachments I need, but they all seem like they suck. It appears like they mount inside the door jam and then you have a little gap in your window, ugggggggg. Thats why I almost got a hitch style bike rack.

Thats what I have been doing with my mountain bike everyday, tossing it in my hatch. Its a huge pain in the *** though. I even managed to put a little hole in my seat . </TD></TR></TABLE>
The rack has 2 feet on each side (4 total) and yes when the rack is on the car the door seal closes over the mounting foot. Trust me when the bike is mounted on the rack it will not come off. I ripped the whole rack off the car with bike still attached . I dont know that an over the hatch style will work I wouldn't want that much weight bouncing on the hatch glass.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hex420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess not to many surfers in the house. They sell something called Soft Racks that will fit on the roof with no holes. It has strapes that go through the window. You can take them off and on any time

http://www.wetsand.com/product...D=916

It should hold skies also </TD></TR></TABLE>
That won't work on a hatch or del sol no second side window to hook the bracket to

Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
MEAT PATTY

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The rack has 2 feet on each side (4 total) and yes when the rack is on the car the door seal closes over the mounting foot. Trust me when the bike is mounted on the rack it will not come off. I ripped the whole rack off the car with bike still attached .
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So their is an additional two feet sticking out on the sides of the car in both directions. What length bars do you have 48" 54"???

How the hell did you manage to rip the bike rack off the car, hell thats crazy, lol.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goforbroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So their is an additional two feet sticking out on the sides of the car in both directions. What length bars do you have 48" 54"???

How the hell did you manage to rip the bike rack off the car, hell thats crazy, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
48" .... to feet per door per side

using a full standing bike mount caught the handle bars on a low tree limb parking in the woods for a ride. IT SUCKED 1500 in body damage. nothing done to the rack or bike.

Edit: I went on thules web page it looks like they no longer make a rack for an eg hatch. I would give a few calls around to dealers I bet they still have old stock sitting around

Found this listing in stock hope this clears it up some
http://www.prolineracks.com/th....html

Modified by instructor74 at 1:49 PM 10/15/2007
Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
MEAT PATTY

I think they still carry the racks for our car.........
http://www.thuleracks.com/fg_c...ber=2
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
MEAT PATTY

instructor74
Do you have a picture of the roof rack on your hatch? I just want to see the mounting locations on your hatch.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Hex420. That's cool men. I will try to use snow board on my mine. :D
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Honda del Sol -- Ski Rack?

Wow. This thread was almost 3 years old. Super resurrection!