Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic Dragon Short Ram Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:56 PM
TTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Dragon Short Ram Intake System

Has anyone else tried this? A friend of mine has it on a 100% stock 00' civic ex, and ive been told it makes a damn loud growl. If i get this car im looking at pretty seriously, then i would probably get this intake. Has anyone else used this paticular brand, and do you guys think its worth the $110? (no shipping :D)

Heres the link:
http://www.dragonautomotive.co...s.htm
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Civic Dragon Short Ram Intake System (TTM)

Why not get a cheapo from ebay? A short ram is a short ram, unless your talking a j's or ARC intake. You can pick up a intake from ebay for $30, even less.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no short ram intake is worth $100
get a generic no-namer on ebay and upgrade the filter....or buy a used intake from the classifieds here.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no short ram intake is worth $100
get a generic no-namer on ebay and upgrade the filter....or buy a used intake from the classifieds here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Intakes dont go bad, a nice AEM unit is just one piece of metal and a filter. Buy used = big savings. I got my Greddy Evo and AEM CAI for 120 + stock exhaust. Granted i got a great deal on the intake from a buddy (20bucks). Some parts just dont go bad.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:30 AM

right, a tube with a filter can't be improved on...
Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (mildly interesting)

i would get weapon r's new short ram instead. its called secret weapon intake. somehow it performs better than even cold air intakes like aem v2. I think it uses the same basic concept of v2 but its better. cost around $160. well worth it IMO versus buying an aem cold air.

http://www.rswerks.com/store/a...arch2
Old 10-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow if thats not full of crap, I dont know what is.
All general short rams, or similar design, will perform the same.
Different filters is what makes the difference - its a matter of restriction.

Its just a tube guys...there isnt anything special about any of them.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSIboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSIboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would get weapon r's new short ram instead. its called secret weapon intake. somehow it performs better than even cold air intakes like aem v2. I think it uses the same basic concept of v2 but its better. cost around $160. well worth it IMO versus buying an aem cold air.

http://www.rswerks.com/store/a...arch2</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you have to back these claims up? Anything? Based on that picture, I see 3 things that are not correct. The first is the "turbo velocity stack". I've got news for you, nothing about that intake resembles a turbo even a little bit. Secondly is the "primary and secondary airflow". It's a tube with one hole on it. It's got one airflow pattern. Explain to me how a round tube with a filter on the end of it can create multiple air patterns inside of it that haven't been stumbled upon in the 10 years of import tuning up to this point. The third is the "air fusion". Air turbulence is just that. It slows down your intake velocity and in turn creates LESS power.

Go dyno your 160 dollar short ram. I promise you'll get your feelings hurt.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic Dragon Short Ram Intake System

The velocity stack used on the Weapon R does make a difference, and it will usually pull a few more hp over a standart filter set up. Whether or not it's worth the money, is up to the consumer. Obviously every company is going to use as much technical mumbo jumbo as possible to spark interest. A no name pipe with a velocity stack and filter does a pretty decent job.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:53 PM

sad thing is that intake was tested by a third party and made more power then aem...injen...etc. sad.... but its dyno proven to be better
Old 11-01-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (BeerBaron105)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerBaron105 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sad thing is that intake was tested by a third party and made more power then aem...injen...etc. sad.... but its dyno proven to be better</TD></TR></TABLE> yup the intake made more power than an aem cold air v2 intake. approx. 2hp and trq more than v2. the intake made 9hp and 6trq on a 96 civic ex.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What do you have to back these claims up? Anything? Based on that picture, I see 3 things that are not correct. The first is the "turbo velocity stack". I've got news for you, nothing about that intake resembles a turbo even a little bit. Secondly is the "primary and secondary airflow". It's a tube with one hole on it. It's got one airflow pattern. Explain to me how a round tube with a filter on the end of it can create multiple air patterns inside of it that haven't been stumbled upon in the 10 years of import tuning up to this point. The third is the "air fusion". Air turbulence is just that. It slows down your intake velocity and in turn creates LESS power.

Go dyno your 160 dollar short ram. I promise you'll get your feelings hurt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so you are saying AEM v2 technology is bs? cuz thats almost the same technology thats incorporated into weapon r's secret weapon short ram intake. i know its not the same, but for legal reasons i dont think they could have made it EXACTLY the same. however, even though its not the same, they seemed to have done something better. maybe its because its made better or they use a foam filter instead of a cotton one. the fact is though it outperforms most if not every intake out there and is alot cheaper. the dynos were performed by DSR or DynoSpotRacing and some of them can be found in the latest edition of Tuner Performance Reports. TPR also tested the new intake on their integra type-r and got an additional 7.3hp and 10.3ftlbs of torque. here is some of what they wrote: " Not a V2 Technology-with an aem v2 intake system the concept is to use a primary and secondary dirameter of varying lengths to achieve a blended frequency of air flows that increase performance across a wide range on engine speeds. Upon inspection, the throttle body end of a v2 intake has just a single pipe leading to the throttle body. In contrast, a SW intake design has two pipes (a pipe within a pipe) that run to the throttle body. The SW Concept-To get the most performance out of an engine, one needs to maximize the amount of air that can get into and out of the engine. Since there is just a limited amount of time that the intake valve is open on each engine revolution, the goal is to get as much air into the cylinder while the door (intake valve) is open. As a result, the velocity at which the flow moves is critical to performance. A reality with any flow is that the velocity of the flow at a stationary solid surface is zero. The stationary solid surface of a conventional intake system is the inside diameter of the tube. If we took a look at the velcoity profile of a conventional intake, we'd find that the highest velocity flow is dead center of the intake pipe. This doesn't sound all the bad until you consider that the throttle shaft and plate is also dead center. The highest velocity flow must lose some speed to turn around the throttle shaft before it enters the intake manifold. The Weapon R SW concept is to provide two velocity profiles instead of one toward the throttle body. The outer profile has its peak velocities at a distance midway between the inner and outter walls, while the inner profile has its peak velocity dead center of the inner pipe as a conventional intake system would. The purpose is to increase the velocity of the lfow in the areas that do not come in contact with the throttle shaft." if you still don't believe me go pick up the latest edition of TPR.

DSR's website http://dynospotracing.com
TPR's website http://tprmag.com
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no short ram intake is worth $100
get a generic no-namer on ebay and upgrade the filter....or buy a used intake from the classifieds here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about those who buy $600 mugen air box's?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSIboi)

Well then maybe I stand corrected. Basing it off of what I see here, without the magazine in hand, or being present at the dyno days can be misleading. If they made that kind of power, more power to anyone who buys them.

Without being there, you have no way of knowing if those graps are corrected. You also can't say if they were adding those intakes to stock cars, or cars with other modifications done.

Bottom line, no intake is worth 160 bucks to me. If you like it and think it's worth it and believe what is written in those magazines, then go for it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznboysrfr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about those who buy $600 mugen air box's? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get me started on that either.