Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please

Heya folks,

I have searched the archives and been reading up on the clutch break in period. I think its safe to say you need 500 miles of stop start traffic type driving with no heavy launching in order to break in your (organic) clutch in if you will.

My question is, is it ok to change gear at like 7k whilst on the highway (I.e. 4-5th shifts), will this do any harm to the clutch ?

The reason I ask is the car is likely to be in Germany soon, I would really like to give the car a good blast to find out it's top speed, only the clutch break in period isn't complete yet.

Anyone forsee any problems ? I have heard a lot of BS regarding the matter so I would be greatful if someone could set the record straight.

Prob,

- Prob

Old 06-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please (Problemo)

i really dont think there's a problem shifting at 7k cause its the motor doing the high reving, just shift it in smoothly, no smashing.. i did the same thing when i had to break in my 500 miles when i got my ls/vtec put in... had no problems
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please (Problemo)

I believe that the breaking period is to prevent your clutch/flywheel from glazing over. If that happens it will make your clutch feel like it's slipping. If you did break it in correctly it should feel like it's grabbing in low and high rpm's. I'm sure it's more noticeable in low rpm's though. But that's just my theory...I have no first hand experience.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please (Proglow3)

Anybody have any experience with this ? Someone must know about breaking in clutch's and the definitive do's and don'ts
Old 07-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How far away from complete break in are you? and how soon is the car going to be in Germany? I ask this because if you are close to the break in period, then go out and drive your car. unless you are shipping the car out in 10 mins.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:35 AM
my house has wheels on it

Default Re: High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please (sohcvtec1995)

the most important thing is the way you are engaging or disengaging the clutch. once the pp is clamping the disc it doesn't matter if it see 800rpm or 8000rpm, as long as you are easy between gears, but don't baby it, if you are slipping it during shifts to ease the engagement your doing more bad than good by heating up the disc from the friction
Old 07-02-2005, 09:44 AM

why not just go for a long drive?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:49 AM
my house has wheels on it

Default Re: (Crasian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crasian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not just go for a long drive?</TD></TR></TABLE>so what you are saying is get on the freeway and just drive at freeway speed for 500 miles?? you could drive from one side of the country to the other if you want but it wouldn't do any good. the whole purpose of breaking in the clutch with "city" driving is to engage and disengage the clutch very often. this allows the clutch disc to "wear" into the flywheel and pressure plate which makes a better mating surface, which means the clucth will work as it is intended to
Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High speed shifts during clutch break in - a definitive answer please (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

This is the sort of thing I was after, SO basically as long as engagement is clean and doesnt cause friction to build up and glazing to occur you should be ok ?

Grand, I never really do any high rev starts, generally pull away slowly and let the revs build up gradually.

Oh and to answer your questions there is about 200 miles left. I should cover this driving to Germany easily it's just I needed to be sure as I tend to be extra careful with this sort of thing.

All I need to do is keep an eye on the moving engagement point (only moved once, and very slightly ..) and I shall be set

Thanks folks,

- Prob
Old 07-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Problemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is the sort of thing I was after, SO basically as long as engagement is clean and doesnt cause friction to build up and glazing to occur you should be ok ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but at the same time you dont want to ride the clutch. Really when your breaking in a clutch i wouldnt go higher then 5k downshifting because you have a chance in popping the clutch into the gear or riding to long. As long as you could rev match good then you could do 7k.