Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's

Whats a good brand to buy??? ive looked on craigslist, and on google and such, but dont know what a good reliable and quality brand is.. anyone got any input?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID's

Noone?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Retrofit is going to be your best bet, theres an entire forum dedicated to it.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nix94delsol
Retrofit is going to be your best bet, theres an entire forum dedicated to it.
Id rather not retrofit, i dont like the idea of taking a part from another car and putting it onto mine, thats like people who put there chevy motors in a ford...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BiG_DeE
Id rather not retrofit, i dont like the idea of taking a part from another car and putting it onto mine, thats like people who put there chevy motors in a ford...
That seriously doesn't make any sense. So you're saying that swapping an integra motor into a civic is a bad idea since it comes from a different car? Your argument is weak. Just say "I don't want to spend the money/trouble/time for a retrofit" since that's what you meant.

Anyway...without a retrofit, any plug and play HID will look and perform pretty shitty in a civic housing. The housings aren't that well designed. Even with stock halogen bulbs, you can see a lot of escaping light. The light isn't very well focused.

With a plug n' play HID system, you get light just being thrown everywhere. My friend has HIDs on his 98 coupe. He gets more light in the air than he does on the road. My halogens light up the road better than his HIDs.

If you insist on doing this, just get on ebay and buy the ones that are cheapest. All plug n' plays work about the same as far as light concentration. The housing has to be desgined for a HID. Yours arent. Try to find one with a warranty. Try to get a bi-xenon so you retain your brights. The last I checked, bi-xenon kits were like $85 shipped or something.

4300k is the brightest color. It's what OEM HIDs are. Anything higher and you lose light output and IMO, it looks stupid.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i know what the op means with the different parts thing but that doesn't make it different. if you want to stay oem honda stuff look for a set for the tsx or tl or something. but yea a retrofit is your best option and will work the best.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
That seriously doesn't make any sense. So you're saying that swapping an integra motor into a civic is a bad idea since it comes from a different car?

Considering.. ACURA IS HONDA... but.. good try
Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got plug and play kit... i figured no different when trucks blind me, but honestly my car's pretty low to the ground! i havent had anyone flash their lights at me, i do have shields on my pnp kit... i plan on doing a retro fit just becuase the light output is alot nicer.. but for now my pnp kit is 1000 times better then stock lights were...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock lights are like 50 dollars for both, and i can get hid's for bout 50 more or so, and so i dont see a reason why not to.. lol
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YOU SAID FROM ANOTHER CAR BE MORE SPECIFIC ....

BUT..... GOOD TRY
Old 01-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

id be carefull buying hids off ebay.
trying looking in the lighting section theres a lot of good places to get them and not to much money
but retro fit is best!
if your looking for realy good lighting go retro fit or if you just want the hid look and dont care go pnp.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
That seriously doesn't make any sense. So you're saying that swapping an integra motor into a civic is a bad idea since it comes from a different car? Your argument is weak. Just say "I don't want to spend the money/trouble/time for a retrofit" since that's what you meant.

Anyway...without a retrofit, any plug and play HID will look and perform pretty shitty in a civic housing. The housings aren't that well designed. Even with stock halogen bulbs, you can see a lot of escaping light. The light isn't very well focused.

With a plug n' play HID system, you get light just being thrown everywhere. My friend has HIDs on his 98 coupe. He gets more light in the air than he does on the road. My halogens light up the road better than his HIDs.

If you insist on doing this, just get on ebay and buy the ones that are cheapest. All plug n' plays work about the same as far as light concentration. The housing has to be desgined for a HID. Yours arent. Try to find one with a warranty. Try to get a bi-xenon so you retain your brights. The last I checked, bi-xenon kits were like $85 shipped or something.

4300k is the brightest color. It's what OEM HIDs are. Anything higher and you lose light output and IMO, it looks stupid.

So you have no issues putting parts from other Hondas/Acuras on your car, but you have issues doing retrofits because the parts have to come from other cars?

You're right. Honda didn't make any cars with projectors or HIDs that people do retrofits from.

The S2000 doesn't exist. The TSX doesn't exist. The TL doesn't exist.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just grab an HID kit since thats what your looking for. and u said brand name? doesnt matter they all work the same. at least buy an Bi version of an HID kit. 85 shipp'd is about right.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have phillip HID kit and i like it a lot
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

im sure most are pretty good , but i haven't
heard the greatest things about ebay kits....
just go with one with a good warranty.