Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hid conversion help....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hid conversion help....

Well i did do a search but couldnt find anything.

Okay on with the question. My friend is selling me his HID kit, but its an H1 kit. And i wanted to use it on my projectors which are H3. How hard is it to make the H1 Hid kit fit in my projectors?? if its too hard, ill just forget about it.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (SjCiViCHB)

I heard the beam pattern is horrible if you use projectors. Can anyone else confirm this?

I had a Civic with projectors and HIDs behind me once and I can tell you the colors were bouncing all over the place. Not sure how much relevance that has.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (Underage hybridreams)

only one reply?? where da hid experts at? nobody likes me.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 PM

I heard the beam pattern is horrible if you use projectors. Can anyone else confirm this?

I had a Civic with projectors and HIDs behind me once and I can tell you the colors were bouncing all over the place. Not sure how much relevance that has.
i heard the opposite, ive never seen them in person but i am looking into hid's too, and apparently the projectors display a near perfect beam pattern but the stock civic headlights are horrible (usdm have 2 really bad hotspots right in front of the car and jdm are alittle better but still not as good as projectors) and you lose the high beam function as well with the stock housings. its possible the projectors you saw were aimed wrong, ive heard theyre tough to position... i am waiting to do more reasearch on it before i start buying anything.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (euclid)

im waitin for mtk to reply. I think he can pretty much answer my question. From readin the other threads i found when usin the search button it looks like he knows alot about HID's.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont have any help for ya with out looking at it but my buddy has a hid kit on his sc300 and it has projectors and it looks phat as hell
Old 01-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (showspeed.com)

oh yea i also sold some to a kid with a teggi and they looked very good as well
Old 01-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (showspeed.com)

well the main question i want answered is if it would be hard to make H1 Hid's fit in my Projectors which use H3 bulbs. I wanna know if it would be a hard modification or an easy one.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for ya early birds.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up up and away!
Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 PM

just buy a set of h3 bulbs.....
who makes the kit?
most companies make kits for h3 bulbs.......
if you look closely at h3 bulbs and h1 bulbs they are very similar. so It shouldn't be too hard to modify the base to make it fit. however.....h3 bulbs are much shorter than h1 bulbs to they h1 bulb might be to long to fit in the projector.
IMO, I would just get a set of d2s or d2r (whichever they are) for your kit and be done with it.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:57 PM

if I were you, I'd get a set of Audi or BMW HID projectors (along w/D2S bulbs and ballasts), and then retrofit them into your current projector headlights. This link should give you an idea... http://home.earthlink.net/~pliepl/_wsn/page2.html

Trust me, you'll be happier later if you done this.

btw, how much is your friend selling the kit?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (DIESEL8118)

hes sellin the kit to me for 350. Hid kit plus ol skoo Nintendo!! yeeeeee....

so what your saying, is i should just get some projectors from an audi or bmw, and just use the projectors with the hid kit??

[Modified by SjCiViCHB, 6:57 AM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 10:01 PM

hid's work best w/projectors because they concentrate the light output. end result is a crisp pattern across the drivers view vs. regular lamp enclosures that have reflecting pads in the back and on the glass that only projects light where they angle. thats why you get the scattered view without projectors. why do you think BMW uses them on their cars.

[Modified by 94hondaLS, 11:05 PM 1/22/2003]

[Modified by 94hondaLS, 11:07 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 10:43 PM

if I were you, I'd get a set of Audi or BMW HID projectors (along w/D2S bulbs and ballasts), and then retrofit them into your current projector headlights. This link should give you an idea... http://home.earthlink.net/~pliepl/_wsn/page2.html

Trust me, you'll be happier later if you done this.

btw, how much is your friend selling the kit?

great post dude, does anybody know where i can buy a set of used audi s4 headlights complete with balasts and bulbs?

[Modified by euclid, 3:44 AM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 12:18 AM

great post dude, does anybody know where i can buy a set of used audi s4 headlights complete with balasts and bulbs?[Modified by euclid, 3:44 AM 1/23/2003]
I've seen them go for around $400 on ebay... I got my Euro 2003 Audi A4 HID headlights (no ballasts) for $300, but didn't have time to do the retrofit so I sold them.

You can grab a set of Audi or BMW HID projectors for about $150, then $250-$300 for D2S bulbs and ballasts. Also Check out www.illusion-lighting.com

hth
Old 01-23-2003, 12:41 AM

i found a set of a4 lights on ebay for 425$... when you had yours were they high quality, and what is the intensity, 4300? have you seen the audi lights in person? if so how does the beam look, what color, and how bright?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:02 AM

when you had yours were they high quality, and what is the intensity, 4300? have you seen the audi lights in person? if so how does the beam look, what color, and how bright?
I guess I was lucky... The guy I bought the headlights from wrecked his Audi A4 before he planned to put them on, so they were in brand new condition.

Most of the stock Audi or BMW xenon headlights use 4000K series bulbs. Yes, I have seen them in person. They're more like bluish light. The beam pattern spreads out evenly, and the cutoff line is excellent. Check out the sites I mentioned above, and you'll see what I'm trying to say.

hth
Old 01-23-2003, 01:24 AM

i think i will order that set i found... i need a set of projector headlights to retro fit them into though, i have a 94 civic and if i use my stock housings the lense will scatter the light everywhere b/c it has grooves in it. thanks for all your help, that site you listed was the most informative ive seen so far on the topic.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey pal.. you're in luck.. its pretty easy to make H1's fit into an H3 hole.. you just need a couple washers to bring the bulb back and you're in there.. just make sure the bulbs hes got arent D2R type..meaning the glass capsul is fully clear with no black lines on it and u should be fine.. here are some pics.

ok, here is step 1.. put the bulbs side by side with a straight line on a paper, or u can just set them on a ruler.. u notice the distance from the base to the filament & base to gas bubble are not the same length on the bulbs..

step 2.. buy some heat resistant washers to put on the base of the HID bulb to make a new base.. notice how the bubble and the filament match up now, and also the bases do too..

you might also want to put the bulb in, turn it on ONE SIDE ONLY, leave the other side halogen.. then turn the HID bulb inside the hole til you get an exact beam match on the garage or wall.. then secure the bulb somehow.. you might need to take the housings off the car to make a new holding pin because im sure the HID base will be a little too big.. but good luck man.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid conversion help.... (MTK Kommander)

Thanks alot MTK....really really helpful. Answered my question with no problems. And thanks to the other guys for that website.