Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hi flow cats on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi flow cats on ebay

i'm looking for a universal high flow cat for my swap so i can cut it to the right length and weld on the flanges because i hear that a stock cat might now be the right length. but anyway, i found some on ebay, like obx and stuff, those don't look like cats to me, they look like resenators, or maybe fat test pipes, anyone know? i wanna stay emissions legal
Old 03-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hi flow cats on ebay (Littlegreend15)

The OBX's are resonated test pipes. Search for a magnaflow or catco cat. I got mine for around 50 shipped on ebay.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hi flow cats on ebay (dwnthehatch)

Yup, OBX cats are not cats at all...

I have some off brand eBay "high flow cat" on my car and it's nothing but a resonator that is the same length as the stock cat... it looks nice and makes good power but it's not a real cat...

Any cat like this WILL NOT pass emissions! There's no hope... if you need to pass emissions or want an emissions legal cat, you need to get a magnaflow, catco, or any other legit cat...

Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: hi flow cats on ebay (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup, OBX cats are not cats at all...

I have some off brand eBay "high flow cat" on my car and it's nothing but a resonator that is the same length as the stock cat... it looks nice and makes good power but it's not a real cat...

Any cat like this WILL NOT pass emissions! There's no hope... if you need to pass emissions or want an emissions legal cat, you need to get a magnaflow, catco, or any other legit cat...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because it looks like a resonator doesn't mean it's not a catalytic converter.

Catalytic converters use platinum to convert exhaust gases to CO2 + whatever else. It doesn't have to be in a honeycomb design for it to work.

As long as it's being sold as a catalytic converter you should be fine. Also there is really not much of a difference between a "high flow cat" and a normal catalytic converter.

Buy whatever is cheapest.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hi flow cats on ebay (GetawayinMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayinMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">J... It doesn't have to be in a honeycomb design for it to work.

As long as it's being sold as a catalytic converter you should be fine. Also there is really not much of a difference between a "high flow cat" and a normal catalytic converter.

Buy whatever is cheapest.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding me? Show me a real catalytic converter that is a straight through design...

Haha... trust me man, there is no way in Hell you are passing emissions with one of those cats...

I used to have pics of mine before I put it on, it's nothing but a resonated test pipe...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: hi flow cats on ebay (EJ1 wilcox)

It doesn't have to do with the design, it has to do with the fact of if it has a catalyst in it converting your exhaust gasses. It's chemistry........

I had a straight through desing hi flow cat on my last civic, the exhaust shop would have said something if it was illegal.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

For clarification obviously it isn't going to be see through like a pipe, but it doesnt have to use baffles and honeycombs in order to be a catalytic converter.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayinMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For clarification obviously it isn't going to be see through like a pipe, but it doesnt have to use baffles and honeycombs in order to be a catalytic converter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But without them, they just plain old don't function as efficiently as a stock cat. Without baffling and honeycomb, how is the fuel and exaust gasses supposed to react with the metals if only 10% of the gases come in contact with them?

THe honeycombs increase the surface area of the metal and residency time of the gasses to allow for complete reaction.