Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hesitation after startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation after startup

This has been a problem for about 3 weeks now, car is a 99 DX hatch with stock motor, bolt-ons.

After I start the car and start to take off, the car usually hesistates around 2500-3000 RPM's in first, second, or third gear. As I'm accelerating, the car just loses power and won't go any faster. If you give it more gas nothing happens for a second or two, then it jerks and starts accelerating again. It only does this for about 1-2 minutes after startup. It does it after every startup though, whether it's cold or if the car's only been sitting for 5 minutes.

It used to do it every once in awhile, now it's all the time. CEL popped on, got it checked, it was primary O2 sensor. I read that can cause hesitation similar to what I have, so I replaced it.

I've only driven the car about 20 minutes since I replaced the O2 sensor, so the CEL hasn't really had much time to come back on yet, but it still stutters/hesitates.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation after startup (******)

Could it be something like the IACV needs to be cleaned out?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last night I checked the following:

- IACV, it's clean
- TPS Voltage, good
- Timing, dead on
- injectors, all are ticking and firing

Fuel filter has been replaced within past 2 weeks
Spark Plugs replaced within past 5,000 miles
Distributor cap and rotor replaced within past 10,000 miles

The hesitation doesn't seem to be quite as bad as it was before I replaced the O2 sensor, but it's still there. The A/F gauge is also reading lean to stoich, or right around that transition most of the time. Sometimes it's off the chart lean the entire time I'm driving.

I'm lost.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drove the car Thursday, Friday, took a 5 hour trip Friday night, Saturday, then Sunday on the way back home the CEL came back on. I have yet to get it checked, but I'm about to take it to a shop and see what they say.

Anyone have any other ideas of what to look at? Distributor?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What code is it throwing?

try unhooking the battery... maybe it 'learned' to run bad when the o2 sensor was messed up.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cyphear)

Thanks Alex

It threw code P0132 - Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Circuit High Voltage

I had it checked last night and this is the code it was throwing, same as last week. I'm working on trying to move the harness for the primary sensor closer to the O2 sensor itself so I can delete my extended wiring. Just wish I would have done this earlier instead of extending it.

I have reset the ECU twice now, but I did it by unplugging the ECU instead of unplugging the battery. Any difference or does it reset the same either way?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (******)

Would using a different type of wire to extend my O2 sensor cause this problem?

For example, if the original O2 wiring is aluminum(I'm not sure if it is)? and then I extend it with copper wire, would that have an effect?

I can't see that it would, I think that's how it was originally and I ran it that way for 3-4 years without any problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pulling the ECU should reset it.

"Circuit high voltage" sounds kinda funny. Are you sure your heater wire isn't shorting out your voltage wire? You could check the resistance on your additional wire, but i highly doubt this is the problem.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cyphear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pulling the ECU should reset it.

"Circuit high voltage" sounds kinda funny. Are you sure your heater wire isn't shorting out your voltage wire? You could check the resistance on your additional wire, but i highly doubt this is the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All wires were connected back to the correct wire when I extended the sensor. Besides, I've always read that as long as you get the signal and the heater wires (white and green) hooked up correctly, the two black wires don't really matter if they are switch or not. But I connected them all correctly.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It'd be worth checking to make sure nothing has melted, or wherever you made the solder connections, nothing is touching.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shouldn't be, **** it's only been on there a week. 3 days before the CEL came on.

All connections were wrapped in electrical tape very well.

I disconnected the A/F gauge, seems to be running a little bit better. It doesn't hesitate like it did before, or at least hasn't since I disconnected it.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I said before I removed the A/F gauge, car seems to be running better now. No more hesitation, I reset the ECU last night, so we'll see if the CEL comes back.

Alex, since no one else is replying to this thread but you and I, I guess we can just bantor back and forth. I'll just keep it as my log of what's happening.

What a piece of horseshit.