Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Transmission/Shifing noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Transmission/Shifing noises

Ok, so I had a thread a little while ago asking about noises coming from the transmission and sloppy shifting... So I replaced my tranny, clutch, flywheel, TOB, got a short shifter, and the shifter bushing kit from honda. The tranny i got has 90k on it. After installing it, now, its really hard to shift into first and second gear, and also there is a grinding noise in those two gears.
Here is exactly when the noises occur.
1. When Im in neutral and clutch is out, there is a grinding noise coming from the tranny area (TOB?) because when I push the clutch in it goes away.
2. When in first or second gear, even with the clutch in(coasting) there is a grinding noise.
3. When in fifth gear, their is a high pitch whining noise while cruising.

So, I ordered mt shifter stabilizer bushings ( the ones that hold the shift linkage to the bottom of the car) yesterday, but I just dont think this will solve my problem. Do you think the tranny I got is bad?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the desc. but I wanted to be precise.
THANKS
Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well not being able to shift into a gear sounds like low clutch fluid, air in the system, bad clutch (worn out), or internal transmission problems like maybe synchros. The whining/grinding noise you describe is similar to something I had (but I never had problems shifting). In my case it was resolved by me opening the transmission and replacing the input shaft bearing (20$ piece and like 500$ labor, so I did it myself and learned a lot). Don't know if your noise and shifting problems are related to a single problem though. Good luck. I'm sure one of the seniors here will have some more input for you.
Steve
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (stevanrk)

Yah, i guess i'll have to check the clutch fluid level/adjust it since I just replaced it and the transmission, I also learned a lot from swapping all the parts in. The input shaft bearing would not be fun to replace! Also I wanted to note one more thing about the noise... when slowing down, with the car in neutral and the clutch out, the noise from the clutch being out doesnt happen untill i get down around the 15 mph range.. hope this helps someone determine whats going on
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does this sound like thrust bearing to you guys? My buddy has the same issue I think. Almost sounds like a dragging or brake scrapping right along with the engine at lower speeds.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like both the TOB and the ISB (maybe other internal trans issues too).
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, when I replaced my input shaft bearing inside the transmission, I spun the other big bearings in there (2 or 3 more like the ISB) and they were making a soft whirring noise, but that was half a year ago and they haven't gotten audible, but like blk92 said, it could be more than just a single bearing. Start with the easy stuff and bleed your clutch line. Did you remember to fill the transmission with fluid too? I forgot when I was working on my Nissan like 15 years ago and it ended up in a fouled up transmission. I didn't know much then and ended up paying 1600 for a new transmission (parts and labor). The new transmission felt nice, but my wallet didn't.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 AM

The thing is that I just replaced the tranny, throw out bearing, clutch and flywheel, and the little bearing in the center of it (isb?) and immediately after the installs I heard the noises. The only thing I can think is that the Transmission I got is garbage, should I call up the yard that I got it from and tell them that they gave me a bad one? I'm not sure, but I think it could be all in the new transmission.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Re: (97dxred)

any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The input shaft bearing is actually INSIDE your transmission case and takes about 13 bolts around the perimeter and a circlip to bust it open. Then you have to dismantle it a bit before you even see the isb. Maybe it is garbage, but I don't know. If you are confident with your clutch install and the whole bleeding thing, then the only thing left is the tranny which you say is "new" from the junkyard. Have you tried taking it into a transmission shop for a free assessment and free quote? That will actually get you an answer. I was pretty sure my isb was rotten but took it to a shop anyways and they confirmed it doing the same things I did and listening when the noises came and went. Free won't hurt you so go see what they say and post back. Just make sure it's a dedicated tranny shop and not an all in one shop.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 AM

I just took it to get inspected, and they said they couldn't tell what it was without tearing it apart... but there are better shops around town that probably could... i was just wondering if anyone on ht could give me a strait answer from experience or something.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97dxred)

Alignment tool used right? Also, I'm really leaning towards input shaft bearing. That's just one of the things though. That tranny seems to be having many other problems. The fact that it happens in neutral as well when you let go of clutch REALLY leans to an input shaft bearing. There was an AWESOME how-to that somebody had written with pictures that shows the COMPLETE process of dissasembling a D15/D16 tranny and replacing the bearing. I think the how to was off-site but I saw the link once on here. Does ANYONE have that link?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

Found the link by the way.

http://www.civicland.com/forum....html

Now that I re-read that, I have no idea what tranny that is for. Can anyone tell if it's D or B series?

Edit : Now that I think about it, my D16Y7 tranny only has 1 starter bolt, this one has 2, but the trannies can't be that different. I DO have the helms as well which I have not even looked at for the process. I don't know how I JUST realized this.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

I don't know, I think my tranny had two starter bolts (D16Y7) and it looked very similar to the one in the pics... I dont think its my input shaft bearing... that is the one that had to be put in the flywheel right... if that's it, I don't see how I could have put that in wrong...?

I did use the alignment tool... the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, ISB, TOB all came from Napa. I really don't think its possible to screw up this installation, I think that the transmission was messed up when i got it.

I dont know all of the terms, but I think what would be called the Input shaft for the tranny is messed up on mine and the syncros for my gears... it helps to shift into first if I got through 4th and 3rd first, it lines something up.

I think I'm gonna go back to the junkyard and ask them if they will find another tranny for me to swap. I should probably just wait till spring and get a B18!