Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!! : RPM drops then rises back to normal whenever i step on gas!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! : RPM drops then rises back to normal whenever i step on gas!

so i drove to and from work today and the car ran fine.

about 30 minutes after i got home i had to run out to get groceries and when i started the car, the car seemed to be choking and almost stalling, almost not starting. after about 3 seconds of this 'almost stalling', the car started fine. BUT now, whenever i step on the gas, the RPMs drop to about 500 (almost stalling again) then rises. this happens every time i step on the gas.
the car still DRIVES fine... but the RPMs will always drop then rise whenever i step on the gas and the car seems to have a hard time starting.

any ideas?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!! : RPM drops then rises back to normal whenever i step on gas!

thowin any codes check engine light on
Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Default Re: HELP!! : RPM drops then rises back to normal whenever i step on gas!

check the sensor that goes on the back of the intake manifold.its not the thorttle position one I think its the iacv theres a way to clean it. I forgot what its called....that's what keeps the engine idling normal.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civic 4door lx
check the sensor that goes on the back of the intake manifold.theres a way to clean it. I forgot what its called....that's what keeps the engine idling normal.
Idle air control valve is what you are referring to
Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civic 4door lx
check the sensor that goes on the back of the intake manifold.its not the thorttle position one I think its the iacv theres a way to clean it. I forgot what its called....that's what keeps the engine idling normal.
He said the car RUNS fine.. the TACH is just ****ing up.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
He said the car RUNS fine.. the TACH is just ****ing up.
nono, sorry. i the engine actually feels like it's about to stall so it's not just the tach. wat i meant was, there isn't any rough idling or bouncing RPM's except for the initial drop...

Originally Posted by jimmy o.
thowin any codes check engine light on

no codes.

UPDATE:
i just went outside to start the car and it started up without sputtering or stalling at all. stepped on the gas and it goes straight up without initially dropping...

i did some research and it could possibly be my IACV acting up.. (i've had some signs and symptoms of the IACV going before but it always seems to fix itself...)

THANKS FOR YOU HELP GUYS! if it starts acting up again i'll clean out the IACV and let you guys know..

CHEERS!!!

-Eric
Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mister.wong
nono, sorry. i the engine actually feels like it's about to stall so it's not just the tach. wat i meant was, there isn't any rough idling or bouncing RPM's except for the initial drop...-Eric
So what your saying is the tach moves AGAINST what the engine is actually doing, right? Not in unison..