Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! Rear brakes dragging after shoe change! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Rear brakes dragging after shoe change! :(

OK I changed my rear brake shoes, had the drums turned, new hardware, etc. For some reason, whenever I brake there is a very noticeable/loud dragging sound coming from the rear brakes. I have ripped them apart and rechecked 3 times now and am so frustrated I don't know what to do. Does anybody know what this could be?? I'm starting to really dislike my car
Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, only "drags" when I use the brakes....
Old 10-26-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could just be the shoes adjusting to the newly cut drums. or the shoes themselves might not be fully contacting the drum; they may not be 'curved' properly.

did you properly set the star adjuster to put the correct amount of drag on the rear drums?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you turn the adjuster all the way in, and then let the parking brake self adjust it? It has adjusted itself from where I had it. Any other ideas?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM

you could let it self adjust but that takes forever. the automatic adjsuter is meant to adjust for typical wear, not for the initial adjustment upon installation.

The reason for the star adjuster is to set a decent amount of drag....basically to take up any slack in the shoes/drums so not only is pedal feel increased, but the brakes will work sooner.

I'd take off your wheels, jack up the rear with parking brake off, and tell me how much drag is on the drums when you try and rotate them. If you can turn them like you can bearings, then that is too little drag. Adjust the star until there is a fair amount but not so much that you need a gorilla to turn the drum. Lightly 'scraping' the drum and still free spins is still too light. I took an brakes/suspension/alignement class at my college and thats not only how the instructor told us but its also what that $150 book i bought said.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

I thought it should adjust if needed everytime I use the e-brake? Anyways, I could try that I guess. I do NOT want to take these damn things apart again....

btw, how come the good book makes no mention of that damn adjuster? if that was the problem, you'd think they'd have something about it in the manual...

Anybody else have any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 PM

no its doesnt just adjust if and as you use the parking brake. the self adjustment is really only designed to take up the very minute slack as the linings wear from normal use.

reason why the book (helms) doesn't mention everything there is to know about drums? I suppose it could come down to that a person using a helms manual would have sufficient knowledge in the basic car systems and brakes to know what standard procedures should be followed regardless of any of the manufacturers special instructions.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

so if I tear it apart again, how far apart should I set the adjuster?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SLATER97EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLATER97EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if I tear it apart again, how far apart should I set the adjuster? </TD></TR></TABLE>

To where you can slide the drum in without forcing it in. I have done this many times with no problems. Also, I think the shoes are getting broken in so you might hear some noise like you mentioned. But if you smell that horrible brake smell then you know they are dragging.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EL Vap133)

How long/miles before they should be broken in? This has been going on for a month now....

The drums pop right on now with no problem, so you're saying I should set the adjuster so they slip on with just the slightest effort?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most cars have a little access cover on the back of the drum to adjust the brakes. It should have a little rubber plug covering it. then get yourself a star nut adjusting wrench and adjust so there is even light drag on the brakes. If its been over a month since you did the brakes they would have seated in buy now.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you adjust the parking brake after you put it all back together. Helms says to put it back together, depress the brake pedal a few time to set the self adjuster, then adjust the parking brake. Pull up one click and adjust till the brakes drag a bit, then drop it back down and make sure they don't drag too much.

If you're still getting a weird scraping sound I'd pull the drums off and inspect everything to make sure it's all wearing evenly. Look for signs of some metal-to-metal contact on the inside of the drums too. Make sure the dust shield isn't bent and touching the drum (probably would make a noise all the time though).
Old 10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonsense)

Yes I did go ahead and adjust the parking break hoping that might help as well. If I get time tomorrow I'm going to let the adjusters out a bit to take up some of the slack between the shoes and the drums to see if that takes care of it. I'll give a report once thats done. Thanks for the help so far fellas.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well I had time yesterday to rip into her again. I turned the adjuster out to about a little over 1/8" of gap wich firmed up the free spin on drum but still enabled it to move well. This also made the brakes much more responsive, and the parking brake is nice and firm at only half pull rather than coming most of the way up. The dragging noise is still there, but much less noticeable and only happens in the last few feet of a stop.....so I'm hoping the brakes will wear in and it will go away completely.