Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP my cars overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP my cars overheating!

can anyone tell me what might be wrong with my car. i checked all the hoses on my car and im not leaking any coolant. checked the radiator and its still good. but somethings eating up my coolant faster then usual. but after i had put new coolant it started to over heat again. my friend said it might be the water pump but would a faulty water pump cause my car to over heat? the engine only has 78K on it. its a d15b8 with a 16 valve head that came from a EF hatch that i had just put in. would there be soemthing i might have done wrong thats causing my car to over heat? when i turn on my heater to release more heat i can smell like a hint of coolant and exhaust fumes. my cars f*"cked up man. CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANY INFORMATION ABOUT OVERHEATING PLEASE . any information would be appreciated!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (EGPHANTOM)

Sounds like you've got a bad head gasket. Those old d15's are known for having them go bad. What does your oil look like? Remove your oil cap and check for a white mayo-like substance under there too. A faulty waterpump would probably seize before anything else, then snap the timing belt and bend your valves. I would do a pressure test on the cooling system, that'll indicate if it's a leak... which it likely is (into the engine somewhere).
Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 AM

check your hole and radiator and clean out all the dirty water out
Old 02-09-2005, 01:15 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (supdawg240)

sounds like a blown head gasket. are you blowing any white smoke?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove your radiator cap and see if you could see bubbles... or smoke...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (gumbii)

check for oil in your anitfreeze an smell ur exhaust if it smells like anitfreeze or there oil in antifreeze u blew a headgasket
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 AM

it runs fine when i stay under 70. but it only happens sometimes.. if it where a blow head gasket wouldnt it over heat for frequently like when i just start it up? like im able to drive it fine. it just sometimes the needle starts coming up so i turn on the heater and it runs fine again. like the heat fluctuates. even when im running it a little harder it sometimes dont over heat like it sometimes does. or when im running it weak it sometimes overheats. its weird. i cant pinpoint it exactly rite now but ill keep u guys up to date with some symptoms. appreciate the help folks.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 AM

Have you checked any of the things that we suggested?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Are you getting white smoke from the exhaust? I guarantee your HG is blown, and all it takes is a small hole. If I can find the pic of mine I'll send it to you. It was dropping coolant lil bit by lil bit in cylinder 2. Pull your head and you'll see what we mean. It only gets worse, not better and you run the risk of warping your head each time you overheat it.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:38 PM

i dont think its the head gasket. my cars not letting out any white smoke. my situation now is i had taken off my after market exhaust because it was rattling against my bumper so i decided to take it off and there was no way too put it back. so i got my friends 99 civic exhaust to put on and it turns out its too big haha. so i was stuck for awhile and i was running with no exhaust ever since i put my head on. today i had gotten a new stock EG exhaust that i had put on and my car seems to be running find now. but i have a feeling its not the Head gasket. im still leaning towards the water pump. im gonna try flushing out my radiator again and reload all the coolant and ill see how that turns out if not i think ill just take it to a "professional" to check it out. appreciate the help guys.....
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 PM

I have a 92 civic and my head gasket was blown and I was still able to drive it for like 2 extra weeks, long distance even....(from state to state)...But I would have to fill the radiator for every long trip. I am almost sure its the gasket... My car didn't smoke either, but when you put on the heat or AC you will smell anti-freeze and exhaust...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGPHANTOM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think its the head gasket. my cars not letting out any white smoke. my situation now is i had taken off my after market exhaust because it was rattling against my bumper so i decided to take it off and there was no way too put it back. so i got my friends 99 civic exhaust to put on and it turns out its too big haha. so i was stuck for awhile and i was running with no exhaust ever since i put my head on. today i had gotten a new stock EG exhaust that i had put on and my car seems to be running find now. but i have a feeling its not the Head gasket. im still leaning towards the water pump. im gonna try flushing out my radiator again and reload all the coolant and ill see how that turns out if not i think ill just take it to a "professional" to check it out. appreciate the help guys..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your water pump were leaking I think you'd know it. Have you performed the checks the guys had asked you for previously? It really isn't all that hard, Check your oil for coolant, check your coolant for oil. Smell your exhaust and check for traces of coolant, check for white smoke, and the simplest test of all: park your car, let it idle for a while then move it and check for puddles. If there are no puddles then c'mon man it doesn't take that big of an intellectual leap to know that its being burned.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (HalfAnP)

is your fan turning on if its not check your radiator fan switch.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (SSR's on MY COUPE)

i just had the same problem check ur fan fuze it could be that, mine was that but if its not then check all your other things goodluck
Old 02-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGPHANTOM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think its the head gasket. my cars not letting out any white smoke. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's only one of the symptoms, and usually only when it starts to get bad. If you're only loosing a little bit of coolant, and there's no leaks, it's getting burned.

I had a car that was loosing small amounts of coolant, no white smoke, and only a small amount of white foam under the oil cap (which could have been due to condensation). I was having other problems, and the car was notorious for HG leaks (like yours is), pulled the head, and sure enough, small leak in No. 4 Cyl.

If your water pump was faulty, it would most likely sieze, causing much worse problems than over heating.

The only other thing could be your T-stat, but since you're loosing coolant, there's something else going on.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 AM

I had the same problem with my 93 coupe and it turned out being a hole in the radiator, it was a small pin hole toward the top that only leaked when the car was warmed up. I had all the same symptoms that ytou are describing and replaced the TSU the thermostat the hoses and finally found the hole while I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for it to cool down for the rest of the ride home. Drive it until it starts to over heat then pull over and see if you can find the leak. Also is your cooling fan kicking on when it should?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 AM

I have one question: Did you open the bleeder valve on your car to release any air trapped in it. When i put my b16 in my car, that was the problem.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (b16a4dr)

Dude. You have a bad headgasket. Thats it. Thats what your problem is. It isnt blown completly yet, but it is bad.. your getting a leak which is putting air into the system. Try bleeding the air out via the bleeder valve. See how long it lasts like that. Otherwise, get ready to take your head off. =[
Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (JDM_Ej)

somebody has mentioned thermostat..........common issue, if it's just his temp guage going up, no fluid loss, and no smoke, it would be something to look at, and cheap to fix.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP my cars overheating! (Pioneer162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somebody has mentioned thermostat..........common issue, if it's just his temp guage going up, no fluid loss, and no smoke, </TD></TR></TABLE>

But he is loosing coolant. Whilte the thermostat may be bad, and causing some issues, he's loosing coolant, so there is something else going on.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM

yea nm i dont think its the water pump. u guys are scaring me i dont want it to be a blown head gasket hahaha. let me try out all the test u guys threw out and i shall get back to u guys... just too busy wtih work and school i have no time to check everything. apreciate the help..