Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me out car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out car won't start

So today I went to start my car, it turned over and then just cut right back off. After that it would not start at all just rotate but not turn over and start. I started looking through my chiltons manual to try to figure out what the problem was and decided to try to start it again before I broke out the wrenches. What do you know it cranked right up. WTF! I just got my coil replaced a few months ago so I'm thinking maybe its my fuel pump or my injectors because my spark plugs were replaced within the year also. She's running fine right now but this happened last week too and I just ignored it cause it ran fine afterwards. If anybodys got any advice let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

Default Re: Help me out car won't start (Chef Andre)

Bump.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 AM

it would be hard to diagnose now that its running but heres a few things to try and to look for.
are all of the lights on the dash illuminating in pos. 2?
next time it does not start, listen for the fuel pump priming..
now that it starts you can also do this.. my first question is checking to see if your ignition switch is faulty..Sometimes, not all the time when the switch goes bad the lights on the dash do not operate like normally. Now that it runs, try wiggling the key in the ignition while its running and see if it shuts down..
you can also check the contacts on your main relay to see if the solder is still holding up..this is a common problem with hondas..
get back to us
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

I would check the simplest thing first.... try the battery cables make sure they are not corroded or loose
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM
HT's TOP CHEF

Car is no longer running. I drove around the block and when I got home and turned it off then on again and it ran for like a few seconds then cut off. I checked the main relay but it seems to look fine. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:24 AM

now that its not running check to see if you have fuel and spark..
Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
HT's TOP CHEF

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now that its not running check to see if you have fuel and spark..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I figured out that the fuel pump relay is going bad. I took it out and took it to discount to try to buy another one but its a dealer only part. When I got home I figured I'd pop it back in to see what would happen and the car started right up. For future reference though what's the easiest way to check if I got fuel and spark?

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (Chef Andre)

yeah that sounds like a faulty main relay..once it cools down the relay operates like normal. to check for spark you can do it a couple ways, i just pull out the plug wire from the valve cover end..stick a stick a screwdriver in the end of it and hold it close to a ground source. if your getting spark obviously youll see it jump to ground. to check for fuel you can either pull the line off of the fuel rail and crank, or do it the hard way and pull the rail off with the injectors attached and crank to make sure they are all spraying.. glad you found the problem tho
Old 11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
HT's TOP CHEF

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that sounds like a faulty main relay..once it cools down the relay operates like normal. to check for spark you can do it a couple ways, i just pull out the plug wire from the valve cover end..stick a stick a screwdriver in the end of it and hold it close to a ground source. if your getting spark obviously youll see it jump to ground. to check for fuel you can either pull the line off of the fuel rail and crank, or do it the hard way and pull the rail off with the injectors attached and crank to make sure they are all spraying.. glad you found the problem tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey man thanks alot, you were real helpful!!! I'm glad there are still nice people on HT. Good lookin out.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Glad u got ur car running
Old 11-07-2006, 07:16 PM

glad to help
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
HT's TOP CHEF

I'm just glad I didn't have to change the fuel pump cause taking out the rear seats is a pain in the *** IMO.