Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Identifying Head Passage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Identifying Head Passage

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows what a port in a D16Z6 head is for. It's a round hole that is drilled immediately above the coolant outlet on the intake manifold side of the head and it's under the intake manifold when it is bolted on. From 92-93 the passage was blocked off at the intake manifold, but for 94-95 they opened it up in the intake manifold to allow entrance into the coolant outlet. Help! I put the open intake on the head, and I am concerned that it might be an oil passage and could let oil go into the cooling system, and vice versa. The coolant seems fine, and there's not a hint of milkiness in on the dipstick. The passage on the head seems to just dead end, I stuck a phillips in, and looking at all the passages in the head, the screwdriver exits nowhere. It's almost like a dead end hole. And, it had soot built up inside of it, like oil or at least oil fumes were collecting in it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Identifying Head Passage (stealth723)

Is there a hole in the 4th cylinder exhaust port by any chance? Leads back into the head? I don't remember d series having egr but a possibility?

Mike
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Help Identifying Head Passage (h22apwrd95)

Just checked the old head and that's EXACTLY what it is. Funny thing though, the car is not equipped with EGR, so it's just passing the gas (no joke intended) back into the cooling lines, just before it enters the Cold Idle Valve. So, should I reroute the coolant lines so that it picks up coolant further from where exhaust gases are being introduced into the cooling system, or does it matter? And wouldn't channeling EG's into the head/cooling system create air bubbles or something adverse?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Identifying Head Passage (stealth723)

From memory are the vtec-e, egr motors? The head assembly would be the same most likely, but with smaller valves possibly? Sounds like maybe what you have here. And no, it is not passing back into coolant passage, the IM gasket isolates that. Main thing it is doing is heating up the IM more than just being attached to the head does.

Mike