Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help: huge and annoying problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: huge and annoying problem

alright I've used this site to help me with alt of my car problems so you guys obviously know what your talking about. I have an annoying problem with my civic. I drive a 2000 civic ex, and every morning when I start the car if I don't give it gas it dies. to get it to run I have to hold the idle at about 1200 to get the car to stay running. it never does it when the motor is warmed up. it has to do with how my car idles. it doesn't sacrifice the reliablity of the car but its really annoying. if I wasn't clear in explaining just tell me haha. but seriously I've tried fixing it and I need help. thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: help: huge and annoying problem (blindguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blindguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright I've used this site to help me with alt of my car problems so you guys obviously know what your talking about. I have an annoying problem with my civic. I drive a 2000 civic ex, and every morning when I start the car if I don't give it gas it dies. to get it to run I have to hold the idle at about 1200 to get the car to stay running. it never does it when the motor is warmed up. it has to do with how my car idles. it doesn't sacrifice the reliablity of the car but its really annoying. if I wasn't clear in explaining just tell me haha. but seriously I've tried fixing it and I need help. thanks guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be 1 out of a million things. Try checking your air filter to start. Then your fuel filter, etc.

Has any tune up type maintainence ever been done on the car? Plugs? wires? cap? rotor? filters?

Are there any check engine lights on?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Re: help: huge and annoying problem (B serious)

[QUOTE=B serious]

It could be 1 out of a million things. QUOTE]

thats exactly it, i dunno if you have done alot of diagnosing before but just use the process of elimination like he said by checking everything starting from simpliest to most complex. Also there are a lot of sensors on your engine that could possibly go bad as well. just start with simply first and hope you run into it
Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: help: huge and annoying problem (blindguy)

Assuming that the CEL is not ON, a few possible causes for low cold idle include a problem with the IACV or intake air temperature sensor, or a clogged air filter.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Re: help: huge and annoying problem (CivicSH)

thanks man forreal, I just hate when little stuff like this happens. my check engine light isn't on. im gonna start replacing some of those things this weekend and keep yall posted.