Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help get my 99 civic inspected b18c/ hondata s300

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help get my 99 civic inspected b18c/ hondata s300

ok i have a 1999 honda civic it has a full jdm gsr swap with hondata s300, the cars been recently off the road but i've been trying to get it back on the road. my dad had a friend to do the inspection so i brought it to him, when i came back to pick it up he said the machine could not make a connection to my car. I wasnt sure what to do i checked the fuses to see if maybe the power was out to it. Again the car has a jdm enegine, hondata s300, 310cc injectors and a testpipe instead of a cat. my dads friend said not having a cat wouldnt be a big deal and i throw no codes. Im not sure what to do to get it inspected, please help HT the weathers gettin nice i want to get my **** out there.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help get my 99 civic inspected b18c/ hondata s300

Originally Posted by MugenSpeclNY
ok i have a 1999 honda civic it has a full jdm gsr swap with hondata s300, the cars been recently off the road but i've been trying to get it back on the road. my dad had a friend to do the inspection so i brought it to him, when i came back to pick it up he said the machine could not make a connection to my car. I wasnt sure what to do i checked the fuses to see if maybe the power was out to it. Again the car has a jdm enegine, hondata s300, 310cc injectors and a testpipe instead of a cat. my dads friend said not having a cat wouldnt be a big deal and i throw no codes. Im not sure what to do to get it inspected, please help HT the weathers gettin nice i want to get my **** out there.
The Hondata S300 is originally an OBD1 computer and will not connect to a scanner via the datalink port. I don't know which state you're in nor the laws, so I'm going to be generic. In order for your car to hook up to the scanner and communicate with it, you'll need to run an USDM OBD2 computer. OBD2B or OBD2A, it doesn't matter, but it does have to be USDM. You'll need a USDM P72 OBD2A ECU (with an OBD2B-to-OBD2A jumper harness). You can run the GSR OBD2B ECU, but you'll have to have the immobilizer fixed so you can start your car and not get a CEL. It'll be easier to run the OBD2A with a jumper harness. You'll need to swap out the injectors to stock, and you'll either need to run a stock cat with secondary O2, or you need to fool the ECU with an O2 simulator. Since your JDM engine doesn't have a crank fluctuation sensor, you'll also need to perform this trick to fool the ecu: http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8
The Hondata S300 is originally an OBD1 computer and will not connect to a scanner via the datalink port. I don't know which state you're in nor the laws, so I'm going to be generic. In order for your car to hook up to the scanner and communicate with it, you'll need to run an USDM OBD2 computer. OBD2B or OBD2A, it doesn't matter, but it does have to be USDM. You'll need a USDM P72 OBD2A ECU (with an OBD2B-to-OBD2A jumper harness). You can run the GSR OBD2B ECU, but you'll have to have the immobilizer fixed so you can start your car and not get a CEL. It'll be easier to run the OBD2A with a jumper harness. You'll need to swap out the injectors to stock, and you'll either need to run a stock cat with secondary O2, or you need to fool the ECU with an O2 simulator. Since your JDM engine doesn't have a crank fluctuation sensor, you'll also need to perform this trick to fool the ecu: http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309.
thank you veryyyyyy much, btw i live in new york so it will be a nys inspection. Are there any other specifics for a nys inspection compared to the generic info you gave? would there be any way for me to get the car inspected as a obd1 car? If i run the obd2a ecu instead of the obd2b will i still need to fix the immobilizer?

Last edited by MugenSpeclNY; 03-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you veryyyyyy much, btw i leave in new york so it will be a nys inspection. Are there any other specifics for a nys inspection compared to the generic info you gave? would there be any way for me to get the car inspected as a obd1 car? If i run the obd2a ecu instead of the obd2b will i still need to fix the immobilizer?
I'm originally from CA but I live in AZ now and have never encountered NY's inspection so I don't have anything to add. There is no way for you to get the car inspected as an OBD1 car cause your chassis is a 99. If it were stock, it would be running an OBD2 computer so that's how the inspection station is going to treat it. You'll have to temporarily do these modifications to your engine to make it OBD2 so you can pass. After you pass, you can switch everything back. Next time you go to inspection, you'll have to do the same thing all over again. I suggested the OBD2A ecu cause it doesn't have an immobilizer installed so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found this http://www.hamotorsports.com/obd2btoobd2a.html....thats what ill need correct if i going to run a usdm p72 obd2a ECU ive been looking at some usdm p72 obd2a ECU's and some say no immobilizer, will that not work then?

Last edited by MugenSpeclNY; 03-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found this http://www.hamotorsports.com/obd2btoobd2a.html....thats what ill need correct if i going to run a usdm p72 obd2a ECU ive been looking at some usdm p72 obd2a ECU's and some say no immobilizer, will that not work then?
Yes, that jumper harness is what you need. And again, yes, you want an OBD2A ECU cause it doesn't have an immobilizer. That is good cause you don't have to modify the ECU in order to make this work.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As said earlier in NY you do need the cat and secondary o2 sensor for the car to pass an emissions test. Knowing the person doing the test gets you past the visual check but you will still throw a code and fail with a test pipe unless you have an o2 simulator.