Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help finding part, cleaning pieces, sanding question, and head gasket changing :P

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding part, cleaning pieces, sanding question, and head gasket changing :P

Ha, I hate posting one question so here's a bunch...

1. Where is the piece at on hondaautomotiveparts.com for the 95 del sol SI plastic piece that goes around the top of the guage cluster ? Can't find it on the site...

2. While I'm changing the head gasket I wanna go ahead and shine up stuff like the valve cover and other parts i gotta take off, what's a good cleaner? Simple green?

3. What grit and sanding procedure should i use on the plastic oem spoiler for my del sol?

4. While changing head gasket what other things should I change? What crap do I need to take off in order, least amount possible to get head gasket on? Piston rings? Just changed valve cover gasket and grommets. BTW it's a d15.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Help finding part, cleaning pieces, sanding question, and head gasket changing :P (Jorsher)

Yeah I'm looking for that peace too!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help finding part, cleaning pieces, sanding question, and head gasket changing :P (Jorsher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Where is the piece at on hondaautomotiveparts.com for the 95 del sol SI plastic piece that goes around the top of the guage cluster ? Can't find it on the site...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Part #1 on diagram

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. While I'm changing the head gasket I wanna go ahead and shine up stuff like the valve cover and other parts i gotta take off, what's a good cleaner? Simple green?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Simple green is good, if you've got access to a local auto detailer, see if they will sell you some professional degreaser or solvent. SG should work just fine, but if you find you need something stronger, try the detailer stuff

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. What grit and sanding procedure should i use on the plastic oem spoiler for my del sol?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You'll need something fine, I would say at least 300, higher if you're dedicated or have a fair amount of time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4. While changing head gasket what other things should I change? What crap do I need to take off in order, least amount possible to get head gasket on? Piston rings? Just changed valve cover gasket and grommets. BTW it's a d15.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Pull the head off per factory spec. If you get a Helms, it'll give you a step-by-step procedure to follow, along with excellent diagrams. Here's the site if you decide to order it, it'll be worth every penny, trust me.EG Helms ManualOnce that thing's off, scrape the mating surfaces clean, but make sure not to mar the deck of the block or the underside of the head, as this could cause problems with sealing once the head goes back on. If you can afford it, get new head studs. A lot of folks on here swear by ARP studs.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah thanks, yes I have heard about arp studs, I'll give em a whirl. Engine has 200k miles anything else I should check while head is off?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jorsher)

With that kind of mileage, I would probably just go ahead and replace the main and cam seals, and put in a new water pump (unless you've changed them very recently). Make sure your valve lash is set to factory. When you pull the head, expect a ****-ton of carbon build-up on your pistons. You'll want to remove that before you reinstall. My neighbor and I used an old dental pick to take all of his off. Car ran like a champ afterward. Hell, if you can afford it, get a three angle job on the head or maybe a port and polish.
Oh, and while everything is apart, clean it all up. Makes keeping it clean much easier later on
Old 10-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh the reason I'm doing this myself is because I'm BROKE so, not sure about port and polish but I do plan to clean it up as much as possible while it's all apart. Can you give an estimate on main/cam/water pump?