Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Valve Cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Valve Cover gasket?

Well I am getting ready to put a timing belt in my 95 Del Sol Si. I just opened the valve cover gasket set that I bought and it has 2 humps in each side like it was made for a DOHC engine, and my Del Sol only has a SOHC engine. I looked it up on several websites and they all say thats the gasket set that the Si takes but I got a bad feeling this dont fit my car. Does anyone know does the valve cover have two humps in it?

thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Valve Cover gasket?

There were multiple engines offered with the Si so you have to be sure the gasket fits the one you have and not rely on sites when they say it's for "Si". Almost ordered the wrong one from my '97 Si last week had the exact same predicament.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 95 Del Sol SI came with a D16Z6 engine, The gasket you got was most likely for B16. Andy links or pics of the gasket you got?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattdg67
The 95 Del Sol SI came with a D16Z6 engine, The gasket you got was most likely for B16. Andy links or pics of the gasket you got?
Sure this is the gasket I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS5049...1995&carId=011

When you go through the list to see what it fits is says it fits the Si but it also says it fits the VTEC and I am almost positive that they have different valve covers.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thbx59
There were multiple engines offered with the Si so you have to be sure the gasket fits the one you have and not rely on sites when they say it's for "Si". Almost ordered the wrong one from my '97 Si last week had the exact same predicament.
Is that right? My understanding was the Si only came out with the SOHC vtec engine, and the VTEC Del sol had the DOHC vtec engine.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^it is but it may have escaped as an SI in other countries.

either way it sounds like you got the DOHC one.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats true I know other countries had different engines. I have all the original paper work on this car and it was sold in new in Denver Colorado. So bottom line is it looks like I flushed $25 down the toilet. Will an SOHC engine ever have 2 humps in each side of the valve cover possibly for the tubes that the rockers pivot on?

thanks again
Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you're stuck with the wrong one. At least you get some spare rings!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope. those bumps are for the cams. single cam sohc, dual cam dohc.

so wishful thinking is the only way your getting that. just resell it im sure someone with a dohc could use one.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Del Sol Si (left) and S (right):

Del Sol VTEC:

Next time order from a Honda web site like HondaPartsNow.com and search parts under your specific vin number. Then you can't screw anything up (unless you have a motor swap ).
Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!

Next time order from a Honda web site like HondaPartsNow.com and search parts under your specific vin number. Then you can't screw anything up (unless you have a motor swap ).
Hey is Honda parts now a good site to order from? Last week I ordered my belt, tensioner, and water pump from them using my vin number. I havent seen the parts yet but they are coming. I was going to go aftermarket but after reading several posts here it looked like nothing was as reliable as stock honda parts. I am a little skeptical about Honda parts now because they are about half as expensive as my local Honda dealer is but they say genuine Honda parts so hopefully there is not a catch.

thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
nope. those bumps are for the cams. single cam sohc, dual cam dohc.

so wishful thinking is the only way your getting that. just resell it im sure someone with a dohc could use one.
Yeah wishful thinking is all that was, I knew the second I opened that gasket set it was the wrong one, but several sites listed that kit as the that fit the Si so I was wondering. Oh well live and learn. I am just glad I found that now instead of 11 at nite when I am tryin to put this car back together.

thanks again
Old 01-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bellinoracing;44332165]Sure this is the gasket I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS5049...1995&carId=011

When you go through the list to see what it fits is says it fits the Si but it also says it fits the VTEC and I am almost positive that they have different valve covers.[/QUOTE

The 95 SI came with a d16z6, the "VTEC" was the twin cam B16
Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bellinoracing
Hey is Honda parts now a good site to order from? Last week I ordered my belt, tensioner, and water pump from them using my vin number. I havent seen the parts yet but they are coming. I was going to go aftermarket but after reading several posts here it looked like nothing was as reliable as stock honda parts. I am a little skeptical about Honda parts now because they are about half as expensive as my local Honda dealer is but they say genuine Honda parts so hopefully there is not a catch.

thanks
Yes they are a great parts place. Especially for the price. It's an actual dealership from Hollywood CA (see here). I've ordered many times and they always come through. But just like ordering from your local dealer, they usually have to get parts sent to them from stock wharehouses across the US before sending the order out. That's just the way it goes with OEM parts. Dealerships cannot possibly stock everything.

Also www.AcuraPartsWharehouse.com is an identical website for all the Acura parts you may need.

PS: There are other good Honda/Acura online dealers as well. AcuraOEMParts.com and HondaPartsDeals.com. Though most of these add a handling fee to your order...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but an even easier way to tell that he got the DOHC kit is the amount of grommets D series should have 5, in the picture (amazon link) the OP posted, there are ~8.

Looks like the amazon seller was confused and didn't know.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also usually match part numbers with felpro and beck/arnley on advanceautoparts.com where you choose your engine before it shows you the parts (d16).
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blowededup
Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but an even easier way to tell that he got the DOHC kit is the amount of grommets D series should have 5, in the picture (amazon link) the OP posted, there are ~8.

Looks like the amazon seller was confused and didn't know.
Yeah I can see that and I can also see the two humps in the gasket in the pic. I seen that before I ordered it because most of the time on parts like this they just use a generic pic that says for reference only. But that was not the case here, I got exactly what was picture which was wrong. But I sent it back today and ordered a oem kit from honda.

thanks