Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with EP3 steering wheel asap

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with EP3 steering wheel asap

Hey guys i need some help before i buy an ep3 steering wheel..i have an eg and i kno and ep3 wheel wont fit... i just wanna kno if thier is a way i can make it fit?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Help with EP3 steering wheel asap (Jazzy Jeff 978)

Cut the spline off your stock wheel and weld it onto the EP3 wheel.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with EP3 steering wheel asap (Jazzy Jeff 978)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jazzy Jeff 978 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys i need some help before i buy an ep3 steering wheel..i have an eg and i kno and ep3 wheel wont fit... i just wanna kno if thier is a way i can make it fit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The short answer is yes you can make it fit, with little to major modification.

I have a 1995 Civic EJ1 coupe and have swapped in an S2000 steering wheel. My horn and cruise control work perfectly, but I have not hooked in the SRS airbag yet because I have not been able to find any reliable information about SRS airbag swaps into the 92-95 Civics. People have swapped steering wheels and hooked in the SRS airbags into 96-00 Civics with no problems.

The S2000 wheel and EP3 steering wheel are identical to each other in fitament. The airbags are different as the AP1 S2K uses a 2 wire single stage airbag versus the EP3 uses a 4 wire dual stage airbag.

The long answer is you can swap this wheel into your EG in 1 of 3 ways:

1) Do what BlueIntegraBoy said. It may not be 100% reliable. If you were in a crash, those welds have the possibility of breaking.

2) Consult with a machine shop to make an insert to compensate for the size difference between the smaller EG/EJ steering column splines versus the bigger size of the hole for the S2K/EP3 steering wheel ring. This may not be 100% reliable since the gap is less than 1/4 inch and the machined splines to fill in the teeth could suddenly wear or break causing the wheel to spin freely.

3) Swap in an 96-00 Civic steering column.

I personally used option #3. If you do this you will have to have the lower shaft lengthened by about 2-3 inches. See the second pic for comparison of 92-95 steering column versus modified and lengthened 96-00 steering column. This offers 100% reliability as long as the bottom steering column shaft is PROPERLY lengthened with perfect welds from a top notch machine shop. Once you do that, the steering column is a direct bolt in. Also, the 96-00 steering column mounting plate for the turn signals is different than the 92-95 (see third pic). So if you want to continue to use your existing turn signal / wiper levers, you will have to have the machine shop remove the 92-95 mounting plate from the 92-95 steering column, and have them weld it onto the 96-00 steering column. Expect to pay a few bills for the machine shop work.

Before assembly, you should also source an SRS cable reel for the AP1 S2K with the wire harness. This will allow you to directly plug and play the horn, cruise control, and SRS airbag plugs before installing the steering wheel. This way, you can do all the custom wire splicing under the dash instead of behind the steering wheel.

Once the steering column is ready, you will have to transplant the ignition cylinder from the old column to the new column. The locking notch in the 96-00 column is narrower and will require a wee bit of widening with a dremel to get the steering wheel to lock when the ignition cylinder is installed.

Before anything comes apart, make sure that your front wheels are straight. Then reassemble everything with the new wheel in place. Do all the custom wire splicing for the horn and cruise under the dash. Leave the 2 airbag wires alone and tape them off to prevent static charge which could cause the airbag to pop.