Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with Distributor!? (already did a search)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Distributor!? (already did a search)

Hi All,

I've been more of a reader than a poster since I joined (mainly because thats what happens when trying to learn about the Hondas).

Anyway, I have a 93' EG Civic Si which has been having it's share of electrical problems (mainly associated with the distributor). First problem was the ignitor which I replace and everything was ok for a while.

The new problem is that it seemed that the ignitor problem appears to be coming back because the car was starting to loose spark particularly under acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear and at about 2500rpm. The problem was intermittent and I never got a chance to diagnose it.

It is now at the point where I lost all spark and when the road side service guys checked it out (car died on the road and wouldn't restart at all!) they found a heap of oil in the distributor. They cleaned this oil out and airblasted any loose crap in there out, put it all back together and now it works!

They said that they're not sure whether it was the oil, or a faulty ignition coil or even an ECU problem.

Anyway, I took it to my mechanic but in the mean time, I'd really like to know if other people have any suggestions as to what the problem could be.

Thanks people.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Help with Distributor!? (vp rsvmille)

I guess no-one has any idea about this problem then.

Or else ya just too lazy ta respond...
Old 07-21-2004, 05:07 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vp rsvmille &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess no-one has any idea about this problem then.

Or else ya just too lazy ta respond... </TD></TR></TABLE>

most people sleep at night and that is when you posted this.. problem does sound odd, is the car throwning any check engine codes??

where did they find the oil on the dist? behind the dist cap or where?? its normal for oil to be in that area of the car but if it was in the dist cap then i dont know
Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a o-ring inside the dizzy housing (not to be confused with the one that seals the dizzy to the head). It keeps oil from seeping around the input shaft. If it goes bad, oil will leak into the inside of the dizzy.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Help with Distributor!? (realblag)

Ok. So the oil is leaking into the dizzy due to a failed o-ring seal around the shaft. I spoke to my Honda dealer who said Honda don't sell the seals as spare parts. If I needed a new seal, I'm supposed to buy the whole dizzy base which they quoted as being AU$650!!!! Wow! what a bloody rippoff!!

Do you know if I can purchase/make a new seal (which would cost near nothing) instead of having to buy the whole dizzy? Where would I get the seal from? Or how would I make one?

Thanks people.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Any takers on this then??