Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP-car is in need of your information, dieing.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP-car is in need of your information, dieing.....

Ok so when i bought this car there was an issue from the get go. No codes, but when say in traffic and was in a higher gear(say 5th while doing 50 or so, when you generally would know you need to drop it down a gear to pull away or to just get going at a pace, instead of the gradual know that you need to, the car would start jerking). It did this occasionally and remedied by just being in a lower gear then i was used to driving in on certain situations. Fast Forward to today and the last few weeks, it basically wants to die anytime i drop it out of gear to coast a few feet or stop at a light and am out of gear or sitting with foot on clutch switching gears to get ready to proceed. About a week ago a CEL popped up, checked it tonight and its #67 Catalyst system. Im at a stand point that i need to get this worked out, im going to do the regular maintanance i need to for a car about to roll over on 190k but i need to know what you guys think. Aside from what i told you above, it doesnt like to start recently unless i crank it over for what seems like a damn minute, there is a terrible smell sometimes after it finally does crank over. I need your oppinions to what to start with first and then proceed. Hopefully with some fast answers i can get to the stores start replacing and give updates as fast as i can. Thank in advance. Jon
Old 11-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also sometimes ill be driving and rather high in the revs and like if say youde give more throttle then it would want it would just cut power, engine still running pedal still gives like your giving gas, engine would rev ( i think cause if you kept giving it throttle say full it would make sort of a backfire sound, dont know if it really is revving or not as there is no engine sound really) but say you release the pedal to like 10% it would start revving again like you just started giving it fuel again.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Symptoms point to a plugged catalytic converter. Online dealers sell Magnaflow CCs for good prices. Take the current CC off and drive the car around the block. Any improvement?

What year and model?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

96 civic hb dx....ill try that tomorrow after i get off since ill be off a bit before 1. thanks for the speedy response.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Symptoms point to a plugged catalytic converter. Take the current CC off and drive the car around the block.
Word. That smell is usually unburnt fuel due to a clogged cat. That would cause a lack of power/smell and sometimes die under idle at stoplights.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet, im going to do some needed maintenance to it also, plugs etc etc.....this will help me get one thing bought and then whatever i can get also....paycheck wasnt as much as id hoped.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

morning bump, or before i go to work bump however you see it......lookin for all suggestions before i get home to get some parts ordered/bought......