Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help!! Car doesn't go in gear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Car doesn't go in gear!

OK, I parked my car at my house after driving it and I take my girlfriends car everywhere becuase me and her were hanging out. I get home, try to move my car and it doesn't want to go into gear while the car is on, now when the car is off it will go in gear all it wants. I try to put it in reverse while car is on and it grinds, the rest of the gears don't grind, it just doesn't want to go in. So I checked my resevoir, it was empty..I found the leak, fixed it and bleed the system...still nothing. I bleed it about 50 times, pumped the pedal a few times, opened the bleeder screw to let pressure out while holding the pedal down, and repeated until the fluid wasn't milky anymore or their was a strong stream pushing out. The shift fork moves just fine. I don't know what it could be considering I didn't physically do anything different I just parked it...and it was driving fine. Please help me! I havn't taken the transmission off yet becuase its outside and still cold and its a PITA to remove the tranny. I have a 1992 honda civic and its got a D16Z6 rebuilt in it, brand new clutch has maybe 150 miles on it. Now, there is a small leak I think on my cap to my reservoir would that be causing that much of a pressure difference? It was doing fine with it before...

Cliffnotes:
-car won't go into gear when car is on
-Bleed the clutch system
-Shift fork moves when I push clutch in
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!! Car doesn't go in gear! (CiViC_SOHC)

have u checked if anything was going on with the shift linkage??
Old 03-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could have damaged the master or slave cylinder while clutching it without fluid.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Help!! Car doesn't go in gear! (jfruauff)

The thing is though, I had pedal the whole time I was driving it...the slave still moves the rod in and out. Um, shift linkage doesn't matter...I can put it in gear when the car is off. Thanks though. I should also note I first started to bleed the system with power steering fluid cuase im a moron and I wasn't paying attention, I figured it out and switched to brake fluid but I pushed out all the power steering fluid first.

Modified by CiViC_SOHC at 10:46 AM 3/11/2007
Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 PM

OK, so I just went outside to try something else. I can put the car in gear but its really hard and it takes a couple times, then when I shift into 2nd, the wheels start spinning (I have the car on jackstands) and it says im going about 20 mph. I try to put it in reverse and it still grinds so I don't shove it in there. Please help!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM

bump it up! help me out if you know!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CiViC_SOHC)

Have you tryed starting the car in gear?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (cimo463)

Haha, I know somwonw who did this before. It took us about 2 hours to fix it. I dont know why, but power steering fluid and brake fluid have a weird reaction and seen to gunk up. If you're getting brake pressure, its probably false. Yes the slave will move, but most of the pressure you're feeling is from buildup, not resistence. I'm going to take a guess, and say that your leak was at the clutch resivior? To fix this problem you'll need these:

Bleeding tool: To pull all the junk out.

Brake Fluid:

Bleed the crap out of the system. This should take you about 2 hours. Good luck! Next time make sure you know what fluid goes where!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM

haha really? I don't think I was driving on power steering fluid though...Hmmm...ok well I will try to bleed it again I guess, thanks for the help! Would that be why I can only shift it into gear when I rev it up? I can shift it now without revving and holding the clutch in but the tires move. Oh, and my leak was at a line that was right before connecting to the slave (I think) the fluid level hasn't gone down since I used some teflon tape on that fitting so I am hoping that is where the leak was.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lmao
Old 03-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your master\slave cylindar is shot and isnt disengaging the clutch all the way, which is why its hard to get into gear while the motor is running, and would explain why your tires spin when you do get it into gear... its partially engaged. You need a new master\slave cylindar and lines
Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

Ok, well ill go buy a new slave first becuase thats cheaper then a master. I will hope that works, I should be able to get that done before I got class again tonight.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Ok, well an update..I bought one of those vacuum pumps and it sucks...I put the L-shaped thing on the bleeder screw, then I put the pointy peice inside that and then put the hose on...I couldn't get anymore then 10psi, but I put it on my finger and I could get past that...so that thing was useless...I changed the slave so far and that didn't work...I am gonna try to bleed the system more and MAYBE change the master..but I really dont' want to spend 70 dollars unless I know that is the problem.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 PM

the prolbem is the clutch isnt dissengageing, you need to make the proper adjustments to the bach of your pedal, all you need is a 12mm wrench, break the nut on the bach loose and twist that small pole in, if this doesnt chande a thing then i recomend buying a new clutch and installing it
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 PM

If there was any power steering fluid in the system, you need not to bleed it, you need to completely drain it. Like I said they have a weird reaction when mixed, and will form clumps of crap.

I'm sorry the pump didn't work out for you. Are you sure you got the right one? Mine didnt have a psi gauge on it, juat a hand pump and a little bucket underneath... kind of like a Windex bottle.

Good luck man, I wish I lived closer. I'd come help you out
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Help!! Car doesn't go in gear! (1992cxcivicEG)

Im not buying a new ******* clutch..I JUST got the thing...its got 150 miles on it...the hand pump looks just like the one in your picture. Yes i got the correct slave cylinder...adjust the length on the pedal? Why, I didn't touch the pedal when it just sat there for a few hours...thats why I don't know what it is...it was working fine and then BOOM stops working for no reason.
and I already cleaned the system out, I did that after I realized what I did, I drained it out then put clutch fluid in and start bleeding it again.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 AM

OK, I changed the slave and I have a strong stream coming out of the bleeder screw, no air in the lines I have as much pedal as I did before I messed with all this. The wheels still spin in the air when I put it in gear. What could be the problem??? I don't want to take the transmission off if I really don't have to becuase its a PITA. Please help!!! What could it be, why is it not disengaging all the way? Is there a way I can check the T/O bearing without taking the tranny off?