Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny issues

okay, so i was driving down the highway and i gave it a some gas. when i shifted to third, it wouldn't go in so i missed that gear and the car redlined.

when the car got down to a slower speed, i tried putting it in 3rd gear, but it wouldn't go. so i pull over to the side of the road and try to put it in 1st gear, but it won't go in that gear either. i tried all other gears and it wouldn't go in.

i turned off the car and the tranny went in every gear smoothly. i then turned back on the car, but then it wouldn't go into any gear again.

i got the car home and checked the fluid and saw there very little to none in there. i put some fluid in there and open the valve on the cylinder and fluid started coming out. a friend and i bled the clutch a few times and everything feels normal. i have pressure with the car on and off, but with the car on, i can't put the car into gear. it will still go into gear just fine with the car off. the clutch pedal doesn't stick to the floor, i don't see any leaks from the clutch or slave cylinder. update: there is a little fluid coming from the fire wall where the clutch pedal is. i still have pressure on the clutch pedal just fine. it doesn't stick to the floor or anything like that.

i had recently noticed i would hear some kind of squeaking sometimes when i'm driving. i thought it was coming from one of the tires, maybe the dust shield rubbing against the rotor or something. could this noise have been coming from the throwing out bearing or something? i'm wondering if my throwout bearing is bad and thats the reason i can't get the car into gear when its on.

any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny issues

when the car is on the mainshaft is spinning ,unless you push the clutch in. thats why you cant put it in gear with the engine running because either your clutch is shot and a piece of the diaphram spring broke off and landed between the pressure plate and the disc (see it all the time on b series clutches) im thinking its more of a master cylinder problem, poke a hole in the dust boot on the slave cylinder and see if u have any fluid coming out.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 PM

one of the springs on the clutch popped out.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i'd replace master and slave cylinder first, and if that doesn't fix it, then you pull the transmission