Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help! --> car dies slowly... electrical problem with my 92 cx hatch (stock)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help! --> car dies slowly... electrical problem with my 92 cx hatch (stock)

I would appreciate anyones help here... 1992 stock civic cx 1.5 liter hatchback-

~my car dies slowly, around 15 minutes of driving will bring my headlights to almost not visible in light output. before it dies completely, the tach and speedo drop dead if I use the brakes, blinkers, radio or fog lights...
~charged battery to full tip top, tried again... still went dim over time, ame time pretty much too.
~so I assumed the voltage regulator on the old alternator was toast.. installed a new alternator and same **** but took a little longer, but thats the same ****. the new alternator was tested fine and that means it wasnt the alternator or voltage regulator in the first place.
~of course I have spent $120 on a new alternator which didnt solve the problem, and I was trying to fix this myself without the cost of a mechanic, but I failed miserably in that respect having spent $120 I did not need to... Fawkin foolish
Could it be my battery wont keep a full charge? It is a Sears with the fun liguid center... I guess I could figure out how to test it and see if I need to top off the chambers with distilled water.

So I think my powers of reasoning and deduction are not a match for the honda electrical system, and I have to take her to a mechanic for a full electrical system diagonstic / troubleshoot test... drats. Any pointers would be helpful thanks, Owen
Old 12-29-2001, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help! --> car dies slowly... electrical problem with my 92 cx hatch (owen_the_soyboy)

[edit..didn't read the part about getting a new alternator]

is the alternator belt properly tensioned? how are the connections to the alternator? nice and snug? no rips, or corrosion?

it REEEEEEAALLLY sounds like an alternator problem
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help! --> car dies slowly... electrical problem with my 92 cx hatch (stock)

i am having a similar problem. my car will not start due to my battery is not charging. he replaced the battery and alternator at same time. now he replaced the main relay and ECM, but still is not working. does the main relay and ECM has anytime to do with the battery not charging. If it is a alternator problem, why did a new alternator and new battery solved the problem?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help! --> car dies slowly... electrical problem with my 92 cx hatch (stock)

In all honesty the normal assumption is the alternator. Given that you have already replaced and tested the alternator, here's what confuses me. The car runs off the alternator when driving so how is the car dying if it tested out ok? That's where I would focus on trouble shooting. Something is preventing it from sending voltage out to the rest of the car properly. Are you familiar with how to read wiring diagrams?