Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!!! 92 DX D16Z6 Check engine light always on but no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 HELP!!!! 92 DX D16Z6 Check engine light always on but no CEL

I have a 92 hatchback DX with a d16z6 engine that was running fine and all the sudden check engine came on. It doesn't turns off after I turn it to the ON position and when I jumped the diagnostic wires It stays on solid so I can't even check for codes.

Somebody mention about having a shot wire on the cell light itself, has anybody had the same problem and found what was wrong with the engine? How you guys went about this problem?

Last edited by Boricuanology; 04-26-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!!! 92 DX D16Z6 Check engine light always on but no CEL

On other forums you would contribute to threads with the same problem.

The philosophy here is a bit different. In the beginning I was like you and didn't understand why you wouldn't just add to an existing thread. I have a better understanding of the logic now.

First off, different car, could be different mods, swaps etc.

More importantly though, in the long run, the thread becomes convoluted with many people with the same problem and then there is page after page to sift through.

What you do is start a new thread with your car information, mods (if applicable) and problem and reference any and all other threads with the same issue (which I did for you in your post). It keeps it cleaner overall and easier for everyone to help you.

I hope that clarifies for you.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you checking it with the engine running after the check engine light comes on? If not do that.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes sense TomCat39, sorry for the inconvenience.

Here's whats happening, I put the key on the on position and the check engine comes on like it supposed to but it doesn't turn off. I start my engine and the check engine light is there. I jump the diagnostic two wire plug and check for codes with the key on On (engine not running) but the check cell light is solid on.

I also did the disconnect the negative wire battery and also pull the 7.5 back up fuse inside the engine bay. It did Nothing, problem remains.

I take the computer out (my hatch) put it on my DD and computer is working fine like it supposed to, I install my DD computer on my hatch (the one with the problem) and I have the same issue with the check cell light on so I know is not a ECU problem.

Same thing I did with the main relay, I swap and check on both cars. Somebody told me I might have a short on the Cell engine light (A13) wire.
Before I go all crazy on a wire short hunt, has anybody deal with this issue before? I'm about to go the U-pull it and cut some wiring with female pin connectors to see if that is the problem indeed.

Thank you guys before hand!!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Are you checking it with the engine running after the check engine light comes on? If not do that.
^--- I'd try this first. ---^ Checking the service connector with the engine running to see if there is any change.

The other thing I would do before ripping apart harnesses is to check every ground.

I'm assuming you have the Factory Service Manual? It will show you where every ground is located.

After that it's the wire harness short hunt (no fun).
Old 04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
The problem is that the light is on as soon as I turn the ignition on the ON position (Engine not running yet) and it stays On, even if I turn on the engine (Engine running) the cell/check engine will remain solid On.

Even if I remove the back up fuse 7.5 on the engine car and even if I disconnect the negative cable, when I turn the ignition on the ON position, the cell/check engine light still has the same issue, solid On.

Not sure if I have checked the engine after it was running, so I will do that next time even thou the engine check light will be On, while the engine is running I will plug a wire on the diagnostic plug and see what happens.

I think there is a shot on the check engine light wire itself "A13" which I plan to find out next time I check the car. I was wondering if anybody went thru the same issue, has anybody deal with this before?