Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'heater inlet hose' for installing coolant flush Tee?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'heater inlet hose' for installing coolant flush Tee?

Okay the picture on the back of this kit looks nothing like what's under the hood of my 95 civic ex coupe (MT). Am trying to do a coolant flush to get the rest of the crap out of the engine block after radiator rusted through and leaked, but I am not certain which of these is the "heater inlet hose" as termed on the instructions of the flush kit.:

"Two heater hoses extend from the fire wall to the engine ..Hose #1 runs fire wall to water pump, Hose#2 runs from fire wall to top of engine. This is the heater inlet hose."

Both of the hoses I see appear to go to the side and neither seems to go to the pump or to the the top so I'd like to confirm that I've got the right one before I go and make a mess. Here's the diagram from the service manual that colored for ease of reference - the red and blue the heater hoses and the yellow is the lower radiator hose which goes to the thermostat housing along with the red hose labeled "A". The blue "B" hose connects to ?? (is this a pipe that leads to water pump??):

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/209/capture.JPG

Sooo- Is it correct to call the red "A" hose to the thermostat the one they refer to as #2 and as the inlet hose at the top of the engine? and the blue hose "B" as their "hose #1 runs fire wall to water pump"?

The kit directions say to install the Tee into a "straight portion of the inlet hose, away from hot exhaust system" which I take to mean I should put in on the smaller red hose "A" somewhere between the firewall and the thermostat housing.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help on this...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 'heater inlet hose' for installing coolant flush Tee?

Sounds like your "kit" is giving you instruction for a domestic vehicle. Maybe you should Google how to do a radiator flush on your own car.
Here's one to get you started.
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/14...-99-civic.html
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks - that helps some. I googled how to do it before I even bought the kit but the one how to I found was lacking pics, so I didn't quite get it. I am a newb who doesn't know anything except that the timing belt and water pump should be replaced at the same time and how to change my oil and air filter, so I kinda need a diagram to be sure I'm doing it right...

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of diagram are you looking for though? If you really like diagrams then hanes manuals might help you out, or go to hondatech.info and download the honda service manuals, they usually have alot of diagrams.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant with the DIY guide on the flush that I had found - images hosted on a site that was not there anymore or something because the thread was old, so even though there were pics I could'nt see em. All good now, though, I did find out that the inlet hose is actually the B on my diagram (from the service manual - its not labeled the same way as the flush kit though. Hence the question) The hose A apparently connects via pipe to the water pump across the back of the engine through that thermostat housing point.

So its a good thing I asked, as I would have thought it the other way round. For anyone in the future looking for this answer - "B" is the inlet hose.

Thanks!! Here goes nothing ...