Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Having a blast with this new Del Sol...cooling system and water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Having a blast with this new Del Sol...cooling system and water pump questions

1994 del sol, with what looks like a 93 d15b7 engine replacement.... Only because in white paint across the top.... "1993 1.5" ....

As you may recall, i am fighting a BAD oil use/burn. 1 qt. per 100 miles. Taking it from the top (valves seals, pcv valve, etc... ) down (piston rings).... BTW, car runs IMPECCABLE. Greyish, blue... definitely not black smoke. Compression is 150 across all 4....

Today, i was flushing the radiator and found the reservoir tank "gunked" at the bottom... about 1/2 inch... also the elbow in the cap at the reservoir was clogged... i ran compressed air through the elbow and debris literally shot out from it.... cleaned and replaced the reservoir.

.... while i was flushing the radiator... and the car was at operating temperature... the radiator fan never came on. Also, i didn't feel the "water" flowing through the hoses... like i have felt on other vehicles. The Del Sol isn't over heating or anything...

i am use to, when the thermostat opens at temperature.... the radiator levels drop considerably, and the rush of fluid can be felt through the hose.... not this time...

I am going to change the thermostat 1st... due to the inexpensive part... and also due to the gunk in the reservoir tank.... but should i test the water pump as well?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Having a blast with this new Del Sol...Another NEWB question....

Why are you testing any of it? It's not over heating. There's no issues. Why look for one?

The gunk could just be build up from cheap coolant. I used PEAK coolant ONE time in my Si and it gunked the hell out of everything. There was like a layer of silt everywhere.

Leave it alone if it's not broken. It's not like the engine makes a lot of heat. It takes a lot of time for the radiator fan to come on during a flushing cycle. Gunk in the reservior tank is normal over time unless you're using Honda Genuine coolant. Even then...it's an old *** car. Stuff builds up over time.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the radiator fan didn't come on because it's at operating temperature, the fan only comes on when the engine is idling for long periods of time or hits a higher than acceptable temp, check the water pump if you're really concerned but it's fine i'm sure.

you could also run a radiator fan switch and just manually run it full speed, i've got a switch running to my console for that but that's just personal satisfaction, not needed.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. Just trying to "give some love" on this old honda. Cleaning parts that have been neglected. I am not used to hondas... so if you all say "leave it be" then so i shall!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you are describing may be the result of the prior engine having a blown head gasket which is real common. When your engine is running and warmed up look for air bubbles in your coolant reservoir or a hard (pressurized) top radiator hose which would be a sign of a blown head gasket. Or you could do a compression test if you ever suspect another blown head gasket.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ What he said sounds pretty good. If the motor is a replacement there is a good chance the one before had a blown head gasket which caused all those "issues". If the compression test reads good drive her until she shows you a problem.