Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H.I.D Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.I.D Headlights

Thinking about getting some HID's for my EM1 anyone no what a good set would be to buy. Thanks for any insight guys.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H.I.D Headlights

The HIDs that replace your stock headlights are no good. To do it right and have the correct amount of light you need to do a Retrofit from a Bixenon projector from some car that has them factory. the Bixenon projectors run about 320 then you can do what ever you want to install them in your housings I would reccomend getting a second pare of cheap headlights and using the reflector housings in those that way if you mess them up you can still have a working set of headlights or at least working reflectors
Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just strap lanterns on the front of your car. My brother did it with his Yugo...
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao ... yugo

i need to see pics of it man
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
The HIDs that replace your stock headlights are no good. To do it right and have the correct amount of light you need to do a Retrofit from a Bixenon projector from some car that has them factory. the Bixenon projectors run about 320 then you can do what ever you want to install them in your housings I would reccomend getting a second pare of cheap headlights and using the reflector housings in those that way if you mess them up you can still have a working set of headlights or at least working reflectors
X2
Old 02-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are certain HID's that work good in PNP housings. I have a set and I could probably get one for you.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
Originally Posted by 97twodoor
X2
X3!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yugo FTL
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i ordered my hids from tspny.com- they easily provide enough light for me even though technically its only a low beam setup, but believe me, its better than even stock high beams in my opinion... if you dont mind glare
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slateEKsi
i ordered my hids from tspny.com- they easily provide enough light for me even though technically its only a low beam setup, but believe me, its better than even stock high beams in my opinion... if you dont mind glare
If your driving the car you don't have to mind the glare, there will be none, its the oncoming drivers that have to deal with glare..and most of them probably mind. Even the ones that are nice and don't flash there high beams at you.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya im basically looking to get some that i can use in my stock headlights
Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by duneracer69
cant. there are hid bulbs that are used in certain reflector housings like on the 350z and older escalades, but its specially designed for hid. the ony right way to do it is a retro fit with projectors, ballasts, igniters and wire harness.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slateEKsi
they easily provide enough light for me even though technically its only a low beam setup, but believe me, its better than even stock high beams in my opinion... if you dont mind glare
i agree i dont mind
Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by duneracer69
That's a half *** way of doing HIDs. To each there own. Just don't get behind me on the highway putting all that glare in my mirrors blinding me cause I'll sling a handful of change that's in my console out the window and across your hood.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
cant. there are hid bulbs that are used in certain reflector housings like on the 350z and older escalades, but its specially designed for hid. the ony right way to do it is a retro fit with projectors, ballasts, igniters and wire harness.
is that really hard to do? never done anything like that before
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude if he dont want projectors then let him. I think projectors are expensive for what they do. To much work modding housings etc. And most of us dont have the guts nor skill to take apart a headlight housing and do mickey mouses on them. Just get a PnP hid kit and aim your beams down some more and you should be ok.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Dude if he dont want projectors then let him. I think projectors are expensive for what they do. To much work modding housings etc. And most of us dont have the guts nor skill to take apart a headlight housing and do mickey mouses on them. Just get a PnP hid kit and aim your beams down some more and you should be ok.

hes right! ive installed these kits many times before and you can get them rediculously cheap ive gotten quite a few sets from the same guy on ebay for like 40$ its a low hid high halogen bulb thats really only good as a backup, the kit comes with brackets and oem style connectors and hes located in the u.s. i get the kits in like 2 days from him. lmk if ur interested and ill get u a link to his store.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never said he couldn't do it. Hes a grownup, he can do what he wants. I just simply said its a half *** way of doing HIDs and to stay out from behind me if hes ever down this way. Yes a retrofit does cost money but its simply the right way of doing it. A PNP HID kit in factory halogen housings is a night and day difference between a retrofit. HIDs aren't some cheap *** modification, there a luxury, therefore costing money. I almost have the cash put back to get all my parts for a retrofit, therefore since its not done yet I am rocking my halogens.

When I first bought my PNP kit, I honestly knew nothing about HIDs, I thought HIDs were HIDs. After getting them hooked up I liked them at first. Then I didn't, the beam pattern was horrible. I did research and then found out about the retrofits. My PNP kit came back off and has been sitting in a box. $60 down the drain.

People will continue to buy PNP kits, nothing any of us that don't like them can do about it. But a retrofit is the correct way, and I will argue that until the cows come home.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure your not one of the ricers that don't run some sort of sheild in it,
But the only proper way to do it is a retro fit,
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I never said he couldn't do it. Hes a grownup, he can do what he wants. I just simply said its a half *** way of doing HIDs and to stay out from behind me if hes ever down this way. Yes a retrofit does cost money but its simply the right way of doing it. A PNP HID kit in factory halogen housings is a night and day difference between a retrofit. HIDs aren't some cheap *** modification, there a luxury, therefore costing money. I almost have the cash put back to get all my parts for a retrofit, therefore since its not done yet I am rocking my halogens.

When I first bought my PNP kit, I honestly knew nothing about HIDs, I thought HIDs were HIDs. After getting them hooked up I liked them at first. Then I didn't, the beam pattern was horrible. I did research and then found out about the retrofits. My PNP kit came back off and has been sitting in a box. $60 down the drain.

People will continue to buy PNP kits, nothing any of us that don't like them can do about it. But a retrofit is the correct way, and I will argue that until the cows come home.
Of course. I agree retro is best but for me and many other its just too much bull. Plus there are some kits out there now that have no glare at all..or maybe a tiny bit. As time goes by im sure they will come out with new technology to the point of no glare. Will you still buy retros? Maybe.....only time will tell.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Make sure your not one of the ricers that don't run some sort of sheild in it,
But the only proper way to do it is a retro fit,
Yup... but for us cheap budget people PnP is fine. Just make sure you keep the refloctor in housing like he said. Some people remove them.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some PNP kits come with shileds and Im not gonna lie i ran with PNP kit for a while and had a nice cut off line but i modifyed the sheilds that came with it to hug the bulb closer but the reflector housings were still bad becasue the light was patchy and not real even where as the projector makes the light evenly distributed
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course. I agree retro is best but for me and many other its just too much bull. Plus there are some kits out there now that have no glare at all..or maybe a tiny bit. As time goes by im sure they will come out with new technology to the point of no glare. Will you still buy retros? Maybe.....only time will tell.

I see your point on technology and respect it. I wouldn't be surprised either if someone somehow comes out with a PNP kit that somehow doesn't have glare, it would be easy for me to say it couldn't be done but with the advanced technology there is today, I wouldn't put it past a company to come out with something, put a patent on it and make butt loads of cash.

As I said earlier, I bought a PNP kit, at that time I knew nothing about HIDs..so what I thought was I was getting actual HIDs like all the high end cars had from the factory for cheap. I didn't know anything about projectors or anything. After I got it hooked up and and working the light was just all over the place. This seemed odd to me so I came on google and started searching as to why my beam was scattered and discovered the retrofit.

I drove around with them for awhile but it was obviously blinding on coming drivers because they would flash there high beams at me. I just decided to put my halogens back in until I can save up for a retro.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I see your point on technology and respect it. I wouldn't be surprised either if someone somehow comes out with a PNP kit that somehow doesn't have glare, it would be easy for me to say it couldn't be done but with the advanced technology there is today, I wouldn't put it past a company to come out with something, put a patent on it and make butt loads of cash.

As I said earlier, I bought a PNP kit, at that time I knew nothing about HIDs..so what I thought was I was getting actual HIDs like all the high end cars had from the factory for cheap. I didn't know anything about projectors or anything. After I got it hooked up and and working the light was just all over the place. This seemed odd to me so I came on google and started searching as to why my beam was scattered and discovered the retrofit.

I drove around with them for awhile but it was obviously blinding on coming drivers because they would flash there high beams at me. I just decided to put my halogens back in until I can save up for a retro.
I have HID's that have hi/lo beam and they dont really have any glare. Low beams are low and high beams are high. Not just light flooding from the headlights.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 AM

Retrofitsource.com good place if not retrofitting then JDlighting good company imo
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found them on ebay for about 50 dollars and it's been almost a year and 100% good.