Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought smoked headlights.. need bulb recommendations if possible!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought smoked headlights.. need bulb recommendations if possible!

I bought these headlights off of amazon, they are smoked. I installed them and everything but I just went out driving at night and they barely light the road up at all. Are there any Halogen bulbs that would be really bright? Or would HID kits be the only option... if it is does anyone have a good recommendation on them.. budget friendly?

If not.. maybe I will have to return them and just go with non smoked.

These are the headlights I got:

Amazon Amazon

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought smoked headlights.. need bulb recommendations if possible!

its called you probably got a non dot approved lens and no matter what you do, you're gonna have a shitty beam pattern.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought smoked headlights.. need bulb recommendations if possible!

oem headlights are a good start, but get some of those phillips ultra beams or something
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get hids. they are the onky way to get maximum light output. Do from 5000-7000k thats the whitest n then slight blue tint but not really. Mine is 6500 for my tahoe and it loghts up everywhere and deer can bee seen miles away
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gzes
Get hids. they are the onky way to get maximum light output. Do from 5000-7000k thats the whitest n then slight blue tint but not really. Mine is 6500 for my tahoe and it loghts up everywhere and deer can bee seen miles away

DON'T do this. You want Hid's, do it the correct way and retro fit them...

Philips ultra's would be a good start. Be prepared to spend some time aiming the headlights..
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

2 days ago slickdeals.net had a sale posted for ge ultrastars or something along those lines...20 bucks for 2.

all those high output lights will last barely 8 months though so expect to be changing them alot.

and for the love of god...dont just throw HIDs in your new headlights. If you go HID get a set of projectors and retrofit them like 98 said. Glare doesn't look good, or help you see...it just blinds oncoming traffic. if your hid's dont have a ultra sharp cutoff...your doing it wrong.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure from the pics, but it looks like the actual lens is tinted? If so this will take away from visibility (obviously) If you just installed them, you need to to adjust and aim them correctly. You can find out how in your owners manual. basically you want the bubble in the level in the middle, there is also left/right aiming. I have black housings and they are excellent. I used Philips xtremevision bulbs. $30 on amazon. The pic of the headlight lit up is with the crappy cracked/faded/pitted OEM lens.

Are these the lenses you got?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Not sure from the pics, but it looks like the actual lens is tinted? If so this will take away from visibility (obviously) If you just installed them, you need to to adjust and aim them correctly. You can find out how in your owners manual. basically you want the bubble in the level in the middle, there is also left/right aiming. I have black housings and they are excellent. I used Philips xtremevision bulbs. $30 on amazon. The pic of the headlight lit up is with the crappy cracked/faded/pitted OEM lens.

Are these the lenses you got?

First of all would like to thank everyone who has responded so far, tomorrow I will try to adjust the aiming of the lights better to see if that does anything better.

Furious, the lights I got are tinted a bit, and the ones that you showed a picture of are some that I was also looking at getting.. but ended up getting these. I will look for those bulbs on amazon as well.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx

Philips ultra's would be a good start. Be prepared to spend some time aiming the headlights..
I have retro headlights on my tahoe but yea if on stock headlights they glare all over the place. But if you have cash get headlights and hids
Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go retro fit HIDS,, or you can try silver stars
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Retrofit HIDs are not wallet friendly. Either you're spending a couple hundred on the kit to do it yourself, which is time intensive, and takes precision work, or you pay someone else twice as much to do it for you.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx

this