Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gut outa/c but keep heat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gut outa/c but keep heat?

i was wondering if this can be done. its a 95 civic ex. i did some searching, and it seems to be a toss-up. some say you can remove the a/c system and keep heat. i want to remove my a/c becuase it doesnt work, + to clean up the engine bay. but with the cold winters we get, heat is a must for me.

any input or DIYs i mighta missed are appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gut outa/c but keep heat?

I removed mine in a 92 VX and never had a problem, I would say keep it and have it charged its not really that much extra weight and its good thing to have if you decide to resell the car.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the a/c and heat are 2 different systems. i'd leave it there though as mentiond and plus why wouldnt you want a/c?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it rarely gets hotter than 90 degrees where i live, and the a/c blows hot air. im repainting my car shortly, and puilling the motor to paint the engine bay, etc. looking to do a b-swap and turbo after college. so i want to clean up the engine bay, im relocating the fusebox and battery later this week, and tucking a few things. on another honda site i read that the a/c system is 85 pounds and pulls 15hp from the motor. since its rendered useless, i want to pull it.

but the cold winter we get, i will positively need heat for defrosting the car and keepin me warm [i hate the cold].

i know theyre 2 different systems, but somewhere i read the a/c stuff under the dash alternately allows the heat to flow, i have no clue about a/c or heat systems to be honest.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

85lbs? I highly doubt the AC is that heavy. Maybe 30lbs. If it's robbing 15 flywheel HP from you, disconnect the belt. Done.

fm
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, it almost never gets 90 degrees here, but I kept mine because the defroster won't work worth a d@mn without A/C.

fm
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
BTW, it almost never gets 90 degrees here, but I kept mine because the defroster won't work worth a d@mn without A/C.

fm
yeah thats what i was worried about.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the a/c also acts as a dehumidifier. This really helps the defroster work. That's why your a/c automatically turns on when you hit defrost, even when you have it set all the way to hot.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
85lbs? I highly doubt the AC is that heavy. Maybe 30lbs. If it's robbing 15 flywheel HP from you, disconnect the belt. Done.

fm
parts add up
compressor
drier
condensor/fan
lines
evap/housing

heater is just 2 coolant lines a heater core and your blower fan.
you prob don't even need to to keep the blend if you just want defrost.

your best et is to get a service manual and go through the HVAC sections and see alllll the parts associated and remove the a/c parts necessary.
to save some time in the future maybe just cap your lines at the firewall and pull out the lines/condensor/compressor/drier out of the engine bay to save it if you decide to resell later.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

removing a/c on a non-dedicated track car is dumb.

/thread
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
removing a/c on a non-dedicated track car is dumb.

/thread
Whatever, thats the stupidiest thing iv heard today. Alot of civics came without a/c and ps from the factory!! U dont need ac everywhere y would u wanna lug around the extra weight especially when its all on the nose of the car. Plus u can get more airflow into the engine compartment (dont know if this will do anygood unless theres a turbo or something in there).

Its pretty simple to remove the ac. Just start with the compressor and follow everything from there. In the bay its just the drier, compresser, condensor/fan , relays, lines, and wires. There are a few things under the dash u could remove but that is kinda a pain in the ***, so u could leave it there. Prob 5-10 pounds in the dash.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^lulz if a honda has working a/c why take it off? to save roughly 40 pounds? im sure cleaning out the trunk/back seat would do the same. having a/c is a great thing and if you really want the ~3hp you lose when the a/c is on...turn it off
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly you can buy the recharge kit for like 40 bucks. fo rme i love the a/c especially when in rush hour traffic. black dash... yea lots of heat.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off he said it didnt work. It may just need a new drier and charge, i dont know. So y in the hell would u keep it if u never used it? Plus it does look like **** if he's tryin to clean up the engine bay. I would do it in a heart beat if i didnt use it. Having said that, I have 3 cars and two of them have ac. Ones about to be a turbo beast so...yeah I understand what ur saying but ur previous post was just dumb. My cars always stay clean, never any uneccessary junk. Its hazardous in a crash lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^the autozone down from my house has the r134 recharge bottles for like 15. i took my a/c off to do a swap, and am putting it back on today. black car, black interior, tint, +no a/c = epic fail

and no, removing a/c on a car rather than fixing the problem is dumb. i'll never buy a car that doesnt have functioning a/c
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The OP didn't say why the AC didn't work (may not need a recharge...could be a failed compressor or condenser...I've had both go on me). That runs into money, so I can see why he may not want to repair it. My point is if you're not going to repair it, just disconnect the belt to regain that lost HP. The weight isn't going to be that significant. And you're not going to get 15 whp (or even bhp) by removing the AC...not unless you're throwing in cams to boot.

I'd just fix it to get a working defroster if for no other reason.

fm
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the weigth of the a/c being removed could also counter the weight being added by a turbo kit he said he plans on doing. along with paying extra for an "a/c friendly" manifold
i

also if you can't live without a/c that's pathetic grow some ***** i couldn't imagine how you'd survive over here in texas with 105+ summers 110% humidity. my truck has no a/c the compressor is bad and the wind blowing is sufficient to keep me alive. some people would rather take it out for free the pay all the extra bs that comes along with a/c service.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ride is black, with black tint, and no AC or PS(And I like in Phoenix, AZ where it gets around 125 degrees every summer). It's just preference, and what you do with your car. I personally like to go fast, so I've pulled anything out of my car for weight savings. I don't care that it's hot,because I only have to drive like 2 miles to work, and I do any "fun" driving at night when it's cool. If I drove 10 miles and carpooled, I may have kept it. It's all in the situation.

Either way, the guy didn't ask if we liked the idea. He asked if he could just pull ac and keep heat, and you can. So enjoy.

Keep the opinions out of this.... this is honda-tech not honda-opinion
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...r+Conditioning

heres a thread on adding a/c just do the opposite

actually when I did this on my DX hatch back in the day all I need to do was plug the holes for the evaporator in the fire wall and add a connector for where the fan blower connects to the rest of the air system. Heres a pic from the above thread for reference, you may have to either mock something up (what I did) or get this piece (green arrow) from a non A/C civic

Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow just got off work and read through this.

thanks to all those who just used this thread to complain at my topic. A+ for solving nothing!

ill start with the condenser/fan and just follow the lines. if i leave the big plastic tub behind my glovebox, where can i wiretuck my fusebox to?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...r+Conditioning

heres a thread on adding a/c just do the opposite

actually when I did this on my DX hatch back in the day all I need to do was plug the holes for the evaporator in the fire wall and add a connector for where the fan blower connects to the rest of the air system. Heres a pic from the above thread for reference, you may have to either mock something up (what I did) or get this piece (green arrow) from a non A/C civic

do you know which models came w/o a/c offhand? im going to 2 new junkyards tomorrow, i need some interior pieces too.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a little input but i removed the a/c and the ps from my 92 hatch.. i'll take all i can get to make a V8 driver feel like sh**. And i also have no problem with my heat or my defrost just takes a little longer sometimes to fully defrost the window but i dont mind waiting 2 extra minutes for a fairly decent power gain.