Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar

wat is the size of the GSR swaybar compared to the Del Sol? i heard the GSR should fit the Del Sol, but i'm wondering if this is a bolt-on affair or if hardware must be bought or swapped? thanks alot

-alan
Old 08-05-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Re: GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar (Pengo)

Alan,

If you're going to go that route, I'd recommend the ITR/Beaks SRK combo (provided you have some beefier springs already installed). I have that on my Sol and its a fabulously balanced ride now.

Steve
Old 08-05-2002, 10:05 AM

Default Re: GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar (stevecockrill)

well my car already has tokico blue and H&R springs. not the most advanced setup, but it holds well and gets the job done. compared to other cars i've driven, the handling is already amazing and i have minimal body roll. with your setup, did you keep all the stock bushings and mounts? also, do you have a ballpark price range? thanks alot for the help

-alan
Old 08-05-2002, 10:47 AM

I had to buy new rear LCA's anyway to have the mounting points for the rear sway bar. I have an ES master kit in the garage, but no big *** press to get the old bushing out and the poly ones in. For the Beaks kit I used some new brackets, but they were cheap (about $10 from Summit). The beaks kit is about $65 (depends on if you want a lower tie bar too....check out http://www.beaksproducts.com for more info). The ITR bar is about $60 shipped from somewhere like AH motor, brand new. I got a used one from someone on Club Si. I also bought the end links and all that jazz, probably was about $40 tops. The rest is just elbow grease!!

HTH!

Steve
Old 08-05-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Re: GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar (stevecockrill)

cool. doesnt sound too difficult then. i dont have that much experience or knowledge on suspension tho, and its something i'm looking to learn more about. did ur sway bar replace the stock stabilizer bar? or are they two different things altogether. i've been confused to as if the stabilizer bars our sols have are the same or similar to sway bars? the prices look good tho, and i'm definitely looking into them. thanks for all the help

-alan
Old 08-05-2002, 11:53 AM

did ur sway bar replace the stock stabilizer bar? or are they two different things altogether. i've been confused to as if the stabilizer bars our sols have are the same or similar to sway bars?
Ok, I forget what model you have (94 Si?).....mine, a 93 Si didn't have a rear sway bar (correctly termed an anti roll bar). The VTEC models and 96-97 Si models did. You have to get the LCA's from one of those models which have the little "nubbin" on them to mount the endlinks that attach to the anti roll bar.

The stabilizer bar you mentioned......hmmm, well, that's a pretty vague term, and I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Under the hood the VTEC models had a strut tower bar stock. I put on a Neuspeed one as I liked the four point mounting hardware. No models came with a rear strut tower bar, but I put a Neuspeed one in. That's in the trunk and performs the same function as the front strut tower bar (but its not a four point mount). Then there's the rear LCA tie bar.....none stock on any del Sol model, but I added a Neuspeed one (hey, I like the brand and the quality! ). That's the little bar that goes between the LCA pivot points.

Have a look around the "GALLERY" section on my page. There are some pics in there that might clear things up for you. Also go to "STORY" and then "PERFORMANCE" and there are some pics in there of the individual bars (except the front strut tower bar!).

HTH!

Steve
Old 08-05-2002, 09:37 PM

MUGEN 22mm sway bar with Comptech Lower Tie bar....all I have to say
Old 08-05-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: GSR vs Del Sol Sway bar (Termbrkdwn)

Ok, that mite be all you have to say, but please add one more word. Front? or Rear?

thanks alot man
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 PM

oh yea, hey steve, in terms of the tie bars you have, which one alone would you say would make the most positive difference? i'm just wondering what i should buy first if i decide to buy them one at a time. also, does the rear upper create any problems for the roof? thanks for all the help you've given me

our cars already look so alike i'll try not to get all neuspeed
Old 08-06-2002, 02:41 AM

First bar, front strut tower bar. Makes a HUGE difference with the chassis flex on a del Sol. I'd go for the bar style with the best mounting "footprint" for want of a better word. That's why I picked Neuspeed. You could always get the polished ones.... Rear anti-roll bar and shocks/springs made the biggest handing difference, but so did the use of lower profile tires.......

A better design may be to have a triangular bar that connects the strut towers and also mounts to the firewall. That would have to be a bit custom, but do-able. That would certainly tie the chassis nicely, though I'd have to research some more to make sure that it wouldn't damage the firewall!!

HTH!

Steve
Old 08-10-2002, 01:11 AM

Ok, that mite be all you have to say, but please add one more word. Front? or Rear?

thanks alot man
REAR stock 99 Si sway bar in front...