Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!!

Well some of you know that I'm desperately seeking an engine swap for either Christmas break, Spring break, or next summer , hopefully not next summer. I live in Decatur GA (metro ATL) and was wondering what I should do based on H-T member experiences.

Import Auto Salvage has a 96' GSR swap for $3300, but probably most of all, they are in NC, so if I had to, I could drive there if I start feeling bs'd. They have the pic of the car sitting there waiting to be purchased and gutted.

HMotorsOnline sells 94-01 GSR swap with an "average" of 35,000 miles on the engine for $3199 plus shipping and handling. They are located in CA, which means it might and probably will take a little while to get here. HMO says the have plenty in-stock and ready to go.

I don't mind paying extra for a quality product. I just don't want to end up like some people who have unfortunately purchased motor from places like Osaka or JDM Club, which if you didn't know, is the same.

I am just interested in hearing other people's experiences with these two companies or maybe even experiences with other companies who have similiar prices. I just want to hear about past engine buying experiences. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (Jswpstdoff)

I'd go with Import Auto Salvage. I got my motor from them it was great.
My friend got a motor from hmotorsonline.com. Came in as promised. But I'd perfer IAS over hmotors.

You can also check out Jerom Soh @ http://www.sohfast.com
Old 05-30-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (Bumnah)

thanks for info so quickly, i forgot to ask another question

I have a 99 Civic, and NEED to pass emissions inspections. Do I NEED to have an OBD2, or can I get by with OBD1??

Sohfast has b18c complete changeover for $3900, that seems a little high but still an option
Old 05-30-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (Jswpstdoff)

21 views, 1 post.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need an OBD2 motor
Old 05-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for info so quickly, i forgot to ask another question

I have a 99 Civic, and NEED to pass emissions inspections. Do I NEED to have an OBD2, or can I get by with OBD1??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont know about ATL but in delaware if it cant read OBD2 it will fail.
and as for the place to buy from, i have dealt with both. steve (hmo) is a pain in the *** to get ahold of but he is good and not let me down yet. larry (ias) was very polite and had a good price on an SR20DE i needed quick. either way
Old 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (boostedcivicsir)

bump for info

much thanks for what I have so far
Old 05-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't go wrong with either one, I didn't buy anything from IAS but I did buy my B18c from HMO and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. One word of advice, if you can, go pick it up yourself, in person the whole experience is easyer and you don't get any broken ****.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:44 PM

Someone help me and post 2 ferio on 94 GSR Swap 4 me.. I'm trying but new user stats killin me.. I'm really seriously interested in the swap it's in md i'm in NJ . if someone could help muchly appreciated, sorrry to b postin this in u guyz thread.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: (bsteelz92_VxHatch)

ttt for any more experiences
Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 AM
New User

Import Auto Salvage is very reputable. I've actually visited their yard and was impressed (6 hour drive from DC) If they say that they have a full swap than thats exactly what you will get. $3300 sounds about right also. Supply & demand is a bitch

You do need to be OBD2 but you won't have any problem with emmisions if the swap is a 96. GA probably won't care or even notice that the engine is older than the car. Cali seems to be the only place that gets real **** about that stuff

I did my swap myself with a rented hoist and hand tools. That is all you will need. I highly recommend doing it yourself. The knowledge and satisfaction you will gain is well sorth the effort (not to mention the $$$ you will save)

I've since bought a hoist and about $1000 worth of tools and have had that engine out and back into the car in less than 24 hours. Once you've done it a few times it becomes almost routine.

Mike
Old 05-31-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (92sleepR)

not to jack your thread, do people generally have good experiences with sohfast.com? i saw they sell b18b engines with gsr trannies already on them for a good price.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (leadtrum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadtrum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to jack your thread, do people generally have good experiences with sohfast.com? i saw they sell b18b engines with gsr trannies already on them for a good price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've bought a center console from them for my DX. Gotta have that armrest, but as far as engines I'm not really sure. Console came as promised.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:15 AM

Currently I have an automatic DX Gauge Cluster. I want to swap in another one. Not sure which, either CTR, ITR, or 99/00 si. Since my current gluster doesn't have a tach will there be a lot of extra wiring, or can I just disconnect my old cluster and slide the new one right in??? If someone could help with this, I would appreciate it. I need this cluster swap
Old 05-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ITR you'll have to do a lot of wiring.

CTR and Si, plugs right in.... You dont need to add any wires.....
Old 05-31-2003, 11:25 AM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (EVIL Hx Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITR you'll have to do a lot of wiring.

CTR and Si, plugs right in.... You dont need to add any wires.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure? I was thinking that without a tach in my current cluster adding another cluster with a tach would require, at least, some wiring?
Old 05-31-2003, 12:10 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Currently I have an automatic DX Gauge Cluster. I want to swap in another one. Not sure which, either CTR, ITR, or 99/00 si. Since my current gluster doesn't have a tach will there be a lot of extra wiring, or can I just disconnect my old cluster and slide the new one right in??? If someone could help with this, I would appreciate it. I need this cluster swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can be done but there is some re-wiring involved. The civic wiring harness has the signal wire for the tach already. You will need to get the harness plugs for the GSR/ITR cluster. The ITR cluster looks awesome but the GSR is a lot cheaper and still looks pretty damm good IMHO.

A while back there was a post of a correspondence chart for the wire color/pin locations between the Civic and Teg. Do a search on 'cluster swap' or something and you will probably find it.

What I did was to splice the Teg plugs on to the Civic wiring using Molex style connectors from Radio Shak. That way I can quickly swap back to the DX cluster to pass inspection. Cosmetically, you can graft the Civic cluster bezel on to the Teg cluster to make it look completely stock. For the faceplate I made a mold of the curve of the faceplate using bondo and then thermo formed a piece of lexan plastic for the face. That way the Odometer reset button can actually work (it's in a different location on the Teg cluster. It looks tight. the Civic clusters suck ***. The only ones worth a damm are the JDM CTR clusters but those don't come cheap.

Mike
Old 05-31-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: GSR swap, complete changeover, want to hear about your EXPERIENCES!!! (92sleepR)

I found a CTR Gluster on ebay, it's look pretty tight, but $300 - $350 for something that doesn't add any hp just isn't on the agenda right now. Possibly looking at getting a 99/00 si cluster and calling it a day. Would I still have to do some re-wiring swapping my DX auto with a si?