Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 02:46 AM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters?

Does a GSR stock shifter have the same throw length as all Civics? Is the throw shorter? Will a 95 GSR shifter fit into my 97' Civic? Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:25 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (GapxGuy)

It'll fit-same throw though. The only diff if the fact that the shiters on the 'tegs have an "s" bend to them. I have a B&M short throw shifter for a Civic if you want it(it's polished and in great shape).
Old 10-04-2002, 06:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (jg)

It'll fit-same throw though. The only diff if the fact that the shiters on the 'tegs have an "s" bend to them. I have a B&M short throw shifter for a Civic if you want it(it's polished and in great shape).
This guy is going to be pissed when he tries to bolt in the GS-R shifter and it doesn't fit.

Actually NO the Integra shifters will NOT fit the stock Civic linkage because they are wider on the bottom.

You'll have to bend the hell out of your Civic's shift linkage to try and fit it around the Integra's wider bottom area, and if you do that it feels like *** because now you've just spread out the forks and they no longer fit flush.

That's why a lot of short shifters come with a a spacer and a longer bolt - to accomodate the Integra's wider shift linkage.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (B18C5-EH2)

doh. You're right. I made mine "fit" the first time around. Bent the fork. Worked fine.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it can fit if you have a hack saw just measure the bottom of the civic shifter them measure the gsr shifter cut the right amount off on each side (make sure to pop the metal sleev out of the shifter before you cut) after you cut the gsr shuifter take the sleev out of the civic shifter and pop it in the gsr shifter tada you have a civic gsr shifter(you might have to file some of the metal off from cutting to get the metal sleev in the hole) i did this to my car it works fine no bending everything is just like the civic shifter except the s bend in it which brings the **** closer to the driver if you have racing buckets!
Old 10-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (B18C5-EH2)

This guy is going to be pissed when he tries to bolt in the GS-R shifter and it doesn't fit.

Actually NO the Integra shifters will NOT fit the stock Civic linkage because they are wider on the bottom.

You'll have to bend the hell out of your Civic's shift linkage to try and fit it around the Integra's wider bottom area, and if you do that it feels like *** because now you've just spread out the forks and they no longer fit flush.

That's why a lot of short shifters come with a a spacer and a longer bolt - to accomodate the Integra's wider shift linkage.
i found this out the hard way. tried installing a GSR shifter into my EF w/ hasport civic linkage..got everything apart and was trying to fit the shifter in when i figured it out
Old 10-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (SuperCivic)

I forgot to mention that this shifter will be installed along with my B-series swap. Then it will fit right? I'm just wondering if the throw will be shorter.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:33 PM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR shifter same throw as all Civic shifters? (GapxGuy)

I don't think the throw will be any shorter with the gsr shifter. If you have both of them out of the car- measure the distance between the ball(pivot) to the center of the hole where the linkage connects on the bottom of the shifter lever. If they're the same distance, the throw will be pretty much the same(depends how high your **** is on the top of the lever). Most "short shifter" levers have a longer distance between that ball and the linkage, this is how the throw gets shorter. The longer the distance below the pivot, the shorter the throw up top.

[Modified by jg, 3:34 PM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 05:14 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Ok, I guess I'll go with the ITR shifter then since the GSR shifter will have a stock throw. Thanks guys.