Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ground control upper mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground control upper mounts

do these give your struts more travel? and does it raise the car any or does the car stay the same height and have more suspension travel?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (VX)

my car is pretty low already. if i put these in on all 4 corners, will it lower more than what its already at? i dont need or want it to go lower. i just want more suspension travel for a better ride and better performance without my ride height moving. my cars height is perfect for me right now.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your springs should be holding up your car, not the shocks. By mounting your shocks higher it allows more travel. I run different shock mounts on my bronco for the same reason, to increase shock travel.

I haven't installed mine yet though...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (FritzInTN)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I deleted my misinformation. Sorry about that. FritzInTN is correct.

It does infact give you more shock travel. But only about 3/4" or so.

I spent some time making this picture so you can see for your self how these upper mounts work.

The bump stop is pushed high into the Ground-Control upper mount.

And the distance between the bottom of the bump stop to the opening in the shock (where the shock piston rod comes through) is increased.

So you do get increased shock travel at the same ride height as before.

Honda stock upper mounts VS. Ground-Control upper mounts.

Comprende?

EDIT: Above pic is wrong. Scroll down for the reasoning of why, and scroll even further for the correct pic.[/b]

Modified by VX at 1:52 AM 12/4/2003
Old 12-03-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ ^^ nice pic.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:52 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (O.G triple O.G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O.G triple O.G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ ^^ nice pic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, but what can I say... 1 607 M1CR050F7 P41N7 5K1LLZ y0!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:55 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: I'm an idiot. I deleted my misinformation. Sorry about that. FritzInTN is correct.

I spent some time making this picture so you can see for your self how these upper mounts work.

And the distance between the bottom of the bump stop to the opening in the shock (where the shock piston rod comes through) is increased.

Comprende? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Si senor...nice drawing.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant u just cut the bumpstop?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (sting94112)

not only does it raise the bump stops but also when the car is lowered the spring compresses the coilover closer to the top hat so you wont bottem out your shock or your bumpstop. I fyou have noticed that when you raise your car their is a gap between your spring and your top hat thus giving you more travel cuse it uses less shock when its lowered. Ive had mine for nearly 6 months and i love em. I only got em for the front tho. i was too cheap to buy the rears too. Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 12-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: I'm an idiot. I deleted my misinformation. Sorry about that. FritzInTN is correct.

Comprende? </TD></TR></TABLE>

This picture is FALSE!!!

You don't magically GAIN shock travel at all...what you do is you raise the top of the shock, which allows the shock to operate in a more optimal range.

I don't have painter or whatever to make a picture.......

but say you're lower 2 inches....stock shocks for example, were designed to operate 2 inches higher...so you basically put the shock 2 inches down more than it is designed for. When you raise the mount up, say 1 inch....you bring back that lost inch that was compressed, and so now instead of the shock being 50% compressed at ride height, it's now only 35% compressed.

The travel it takes to reach the bump stop is the same....it's the amount of rod inside the shock body that changes.

Trust me, I've done several sets of home made extended top mounts....

edit-made fals bold

Modified by Emerika at 12:40 AM 12/4/2003
Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This picture is FALSE!!!

You don't magically GAIN shock travel at all...what you do is you raise the top of the shock, which allows the shock to operate in a more optimal range.

I don't have painter or whatever to make a picture.......

but say you're lower 2 inches....stock shocks for example, were designed to operate 2 inches higher...so you basically put the shock 2 inches down more than it is designed for. When you raise the mount up, say 1 inch....you bring back that lost inch that was compressed, and so now instead of the shock being 50% compressed at ride height, it's now only 35% compressed.

The travel it takes to reach the bump stop is the same....it's the amount of rod inside the shock body that changes.

Trust me, I've done several sets of home made extended top mounts....</TD></TR></TABLE>

This makes sense. Using the optimal range of the shock, which prevents bottoming out.

Yeah my pic was not accurate to scale at all, the amount of travel isn't that much if one were to compare real physical shocks side by side, instead of looking at my pic and conceiving the data that way.

But I have personally gained shock travel by these upper mounts b/c the bump stop is less exposed out from the bottom of the top hat.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Solbros Owns Me

no, you don't gain "travel"...you put the shock in a better operating range.

the spring is compressed the SAME between the bottom perch and the chassi, right??

And the shock body is on the bottom, and the rod goes up through the chassis, right??

Well, if you allow the top of the shock mount to be raised up....the spring is in the same spot and so is the shock body...along with the chassis. You just move the rod out however much.

Only way to GAIN travel is to raise the car or lower the bottom shock mounting position.

This only puts the shock in a position, where it operates as it would if the car was raised higher.

I'll argue to the death bro, simply cause I have done this many times and I know why I do this...lol.

Basically....take your lowered car and raise it one inch, or raise the shock mount up one inch.....shock will act the same in both situations as far as how compressed it is
Old 12-03-2003, 11:56 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

You make a good point, and i can clearly see the logic behind it. A.K.A. I got 0wned.

You're right, this modification only prevents bottoming out, and increases the life of the shocks...

I don't want to mis-lead others by my false statements... BRB w/ a new correct pic.

Modified by VX at 1:40 AM 12/4/2003
Old 12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You make a good point, and i can clearly see the logic behind it. A.K.A. I got 0wned.

You're right, this modification only prevents bottoming out, and increases the life of the shocks...

I don't want to mis-lead others by my false statements... BRB w/ a new correct pic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not about being owned bro.

And it doesn't prevent bottoming out. It takes just as much suspension travel to bottom out with extended hats then it will with stock ones.

But it's going to be harder, since the shock is able to do a better job, being in the better range.

Only way to prevent bottoming out or increase "travel"...is to increase the distance between the bottom shock mount and the top spring perch.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Trust me, I've done several sets of home made extended top mounts...."

pics?? how do u make them??
Old 12-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (JCracer723)

take the top hat....

cut the bushing support off from flat surface of top hat

weld in a spacer...

I did 1 1/2 inch up front and 2 inches rear.

Car rides SOOO much better. My AGX's up front are stiffer on2 than they were on 3 before
Old 12-04-2003, 12:47 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it's not about being owned bro. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah i know, I was just being overly dramatic b/c all that time making that pic was wrong.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And it doesn't prevent bottoming out. It takes just as much suspension travel to bottom out with extended hats then it will with stock ones.

But it's going to be harder, since the shock is able to do a better job, being in the better range. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My bad i meant to say helps prevent, but in now way did i mean: total prevention.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only way to prevent bottoming out or increase "travel"...is to increase the distance between the bottom shock mount and the top spring perch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Trust me, I've done several sets of home made extended top mounts...."

pics?? how do u make them??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look no further: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485

And now for the new Correct Pic:

Old 12-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the top hat....

cut the bushing support off from flat surface of top hat

weld in a spacer...

I did 1 1/2 inch up front and 2 inches rear.

Car rides SOOO much better. My AGX's up front are stiffer on2 than they were on 3 before </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have any pics?? ... what about the welds... is it safe for a daily driver?? wut if the weld cracks ??? how safe is it?? tia
Old 12-04-2003, 10:04 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you have any pics?? ... what about the welds... is it safe for a daily driver?? wut if the weld cracks ??? how safe is it?? tia</TD></TR></TABLE>

I gave you a link, look up to my last post.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Solbros Owns Me

haha, thats a nice pic

Oh, BTW, this mod is wonderful.

If anyone needs it done, just let me know
Old 12-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I gave you a link, look up to my last post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i went to it.. kinda wanna see how other people do it.. thats why i ask emerika... im just worried bout the welds crakin up and i dont wanna end up fukin up my susp..
Old 12-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah i went to it.. kinda wanna see how other people do it.. thats why i ask emerika... im just worried bout the welds crakin up and i dont wanna end up fukin up my susp..</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless the person doesn't know how to weld....there shouldn't be a problem.

Doing mine was the first vital piece I ever actually welded...and they turned out great. 4 months down the road, plenty of track action, and they're still holding like stock
Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HE DID MINE AND mine are in great condition.....I'm just having issues with my new hood...haha DAMN TEINS!!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground control upper mounts (SloCivicHMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SloCivicHMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HE DID MINE AND mine are in great condition.....I'm just having issues with my new hood...haha DAMN TEINS!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much did u extend them?? same as him?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:01 AM
New User

i want one, but i think GC stop making them. probably because of marketing and the price they were trying
sell them for. **** i'd buy it if it was more in the $100 range. i got a secret that will allow you to do something
similar but only like 1/4 inch using your stock mounts.

Quick Reply: ground control upper mounts