Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got a REF ticket, Which engine can i put in for cali inspection LS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Got a REF ticket, Which engine can i put in for cali inspection LS?

Originally Posted by mayfly
ok the block under the engine code I.E. b16 b18 there is a set of numbers. they run those numbers to check to see if the engine is stolen or not
Really...and you've seen this personally? I brought the bill of sale for my obd1 swap and the Ref didn't even want to look at it, let alone go through the trouble of looking up block numbers. There is heresay that there are supercops that are able to look up block numbers for non-VINed engines but I have yet to see proof. I highly doubt a Ref can or would do this. VIN? Maybe.

fm
Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66fasty
if you want to legalize an engine swap it HAS to have a VIN on it because they put that info on your sticker when you pass so they can match each motor to the car.
Originally Posted by SeanK325
how is that possible? there isn't a VIN on the jdm motor.
Has to have a VIN on engine? That is a load of ****, big time! Explain engines that are purchased new or remanufactured from a delaership or places like Autozone or Jasper Engines or anyone else who sells rebuilt engines? As someone else stated, VIN tags didn't get riveted on engines until OBD2 vehicles. You are off base as ****!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxter
you must not know much about hondas obd0 and obd1 usmd motors dont have vins either
that's why im on Honda-Tech so much

I never claimed to know so much. I just try and sort out what I think I know and what I would like to know. thanks for being an *** about it, though.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

that's why im on Honda-Tech so much

I never claimed to know so much. I just try and sort out what I think I know and what I would like to know. thanks for being an *** about it, though.
nobody was being an *** dipshit
Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your posting's tone, then get back to me on that one. log out of here if you're just going to be a dick.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its like the ref station just does as they want

I just got off the phone with them and they dont even know what passes and what doesnt
how the hell does that work???

I asked " arent japaneees engine legal now?"

she said " yeah i think so"
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Master Detailer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGenEK
Its like the ref station just does as they want

I just got off the phone with them and they dont even know what passes and what doesnt
how the hell does that work???

I asked " arent japaneees engine legal now?"

she said " yeah i think so"
All they know is what the computer tells them.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

toshae
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
It may be cheaper just finding an LS or B16 to put in temporarily than losing a ton on trading away a turbo'd GSR. Damn, I'd buy a B16 from HMO to trade you.

Yeah im totaly lost on what to do at this point i might just register it as off-road
and keep my motor because I know how well it runs

Thanks everyone for all the great replies
Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

check your posting's tone, then get back to me on that one. log out of here if you're just going to be a dick.
posting tone however you want to interpret it dipshit tone my ***
Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej93
just so u know u dont have to do any of that...... i got reffed and when i went to court the judged asked if i fixed it and i just said no and he said ok well that i was going to have to pay the fine and it came out to 365..... and that was it. just FYI

How long ago was this

because the chp officer assured me that it was a heffty fine
Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait for the ticket to come in the mail...it'll tell you exactly how much you owe if you decide to just pay it. Should come in a month.

If you have the resources to just get another daily, I'd do that and just use this one as a track car. It would be a shame to dismantle it.

fm
Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my info from a local smog guy, he told me it was in his BAR newsletter. Could've been BS'ing me though
Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he said it was in his BAR newsletter, he was BSing you. You can download them here. Neither the Winter nor Spring issue of 2010 mention anything about requiring VINs on vehicles with engine changes.

fm
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP... if i was you i would just remove the turbo and try to bar it. And if you cant then buy a cheap *** LS long block to swap in there. Use the tranny and everything else. get the bar sticker and then swap your gsr back in and be done with it. You can maybe get away with running a gsr with the b18b ref permit. From what i know, or think i know a JDM engine can be used as a replacement engine when you have a bar sticker. I've never heard nothing about wether its VTEC or not. You can just say you swapped in the gsr as a replacement for the LS.

Besides its rare to see a cop that actually knows anything about a HONDA engine. I friend i know had a LS in his eg. He got popped and he acted stupid about buying car like that. They asked what engine the car came from he said its a HONDA. The cop saw the HONDA MOTOR CO. stamp on VC and let him go..LoL
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

worse comes to worse find a d16y8 and put it all back to stock!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO = laughing my az off for some of the people that don't clearly know what it means... oh man i would hate to do all that work just to have my car legal to drive on the street, i guess some of you people should consider moving to florida since the state doesnt care what engine you have in what car. illegal street racing is highly popluar here in florida and you dont need no bar pass or any type of inspection for your car. the only down fall to it is hondas are always getting stolen and if your honda gets stolen dont think the cops will help you look for it since COPS HATE HONDAS!!! the only way youll find a honda in florida is if its on a person's property when they get up in the morning and notice its sitting there blocking their driveway... sorry OP for all the trouble you have to go thru just to get your car legal!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnykawizzle
LMAO = laughing my az off for some of the people that don't clearly know what it means... oh man i would hate to do all that work just to have my car legal to drive on the street, i guess some of you people should consider moving to florida since the state doesnt care what engine you have in what car. illegal street racing is highly popluar here in florida and you dont need no bar pass or any type of inspection for your car. the only down fall to it is hondas are always getting stolen and if your honda gets stolen dont think the cops will help you look for it since COPS HATE HONDAS!!! the only way youll find a honda in florida is if its on a person's property when they get up in the morning and notice its sitting there blocking their driveway... sorry OP for all the trouble you have to go thru just to get your car legal!!!
Okaayyy...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
So much misinformation here.

- there are a couple of accounts of people who've BAR'd JDM motors in their Civics this year. Search! It all depends on the Ref you go to. The Ref in my area wouldn't do it as of 2/2010 but others have done it in April. Mostly Socal Refs.

- You can BAR a motor with no VIN. 94-95 engines don't have VINs. Check my BAR
sticker on the first page of this thread and you'll see it's a 94 B18c1 and it was BAR'd last Feb.

- many Refs will make note of the full engine code (eg, b18c1) in the notes section on the BAR sticker. If your Ref does this, you take a big chance swapping out your usdm motor for a jdm motor as it's written there plain as day. Again, look at my BAR sticker.

fm

-
So am I lucky that the Ref that did not put any comments on my BAR sticker for my B16A2 swap?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ that's why i was thinking. is your engine now open to anything 1.6L?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ that's why i was thinking. is your engine now open to anything 1.6L?
Yeah..that's what I'm trying to figure out...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fungus mungus, for posting the right info.

The local Referee station in my area would not referee "JDM" Motors in cars. I am not sure if he was reffering specifically to the JDM B18C (since there is type R and GSR under the same engine code). He specifically stated that I could not refferee a JDM B18C in my car under any circumstance. I had to source a USDM OBD-1 GSR motor

He did state that the JDM B18C was allowed as an engine replacement in cars like the GSR and type R, (not sure if it would have to be BAR'd)

I BAR'd my motor about a month after the law had changed, I think it changed in Feb. 2009, I had it inspected about a month afterward. I got really screwed. See the comments. . . it states, ECU, motor, even the header that I used :/
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In a word, yes, you are lucky. If you read what I said before, I said "most" Refs will put notes in the comments. Obviously the procedures the Refs follow are not properly documented, which explains why some Refs will BAR a JDM motor while others won't. The inconsistency among Ref stations is frustrating to say the least.

My point is, if you put a blanket statement out there like, "just get it BAR'd for an LS swap and then you can a JDM GSR or Type-R in", some people may do just that...and then get an ugly surprise when a cop pops their hood and sees a JDM motor and a BAR sticker that says "B18A2" on it.

Keep in mind that just because yours doesn't say "B16A2" on it, the fact that the sticker notes it's a 1999 would imply there should be a VIN on the motor. No VIN on your motor may raise questions and get you a Ref ticket. Or not...depends on the cop.

The moral here is, YMMV.

fm
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DC5yo,
You just illustrated my point that Refs are so inconsistent in how they do things, it's no wonder you get so much conflicting info on H-T. The bottom line is you NEED to check with your Ref if you can even BAR a JDM motor. Find someone that has recently had their motor BAR'd by your local Ref and see what their sticker looks like.

BTW, it sucks that they put your aftermarket stuff on there. When I got my motor BAR'd, I put everything back completely stock. Now I've got plenty of aftermarket stuff with CARB EO numbers (well...the header has a DC plate, but it's not really a DC) But in the event of a hood-popping, it should hold up to scrutiny. When I go to get it smogged in a couple of years, I'll be putting back my stock header n cat, TB, injectors, and ECU in the car.

fm
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
DC5yo,
You just illustrated my point that Refs are so inconsistent in how they do things, it's no wonder you get so much conflicting info on H-T. The bottom line is you NEED to check with your Ref if you can even BAR a JDM motor. Find someone that has recently had their motor BAR'd by your local Ref and see what their sticker looks like.

BTW, it sucks that they put your aftermarket stuff on there. When I got my motor BAR'd, I put everything back completely stock. Now I've got plenty of aftermarket stuff with CARB EO numbers (well...the header has a DC plate, but it's not really a DC) But in the event of a hood-popping, it should hold up to scrutiny. When I go to get it smogged in a couple of years, I'll be putting back my stock header n cat, TB, injectors, and ECU in the car.

fm
best advise I could give anyone as well. I'll post the 1800 number if I have it. . . the BAR is actually part of the Department of Consumer affairs for those not in the know. Yes it does suck fungus, but what sucks even more is that I have since sold the GSR swap and gone with a JDM 98-R. Stock heat sheilds, airbox and resonated test pipe to spoon street muffler.

If the poster above got his 1.6L BARd in 2008 that could also explain it. Older tags weren't as descriptive and the real OG tags were blue if IIRC. Either way a lot of good information in here

Quick Reply: Got a REF ticket, Which engine can i put in for cali inspection LS?