Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More?

Like the title says, I got a free set of 5 speed B16A cams. Mine is euipped with auto cams, and the 5 speed cams should be worth 10 HP.

Just want to know if it is worth it to swap out the exhaust cam, or if there is even a difference?

I'm assuming they are atleast B16A manual cams, because the head they came from is an OBD0 PR3 with double intake springs, while an auto like mine has single, but...

Also, the cams have 3 different sized lobes, I thought only GSR cams had 3 lobe sizes, and that B16A cams had the same profile on the outer lobes, giving it 2 lobe sizes.

These may be GSR's
Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (diegoaccord)

Since when does having an auto or manual transmission dictate what cams you have?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (IHateJDM)

the auto b16 cams make less power, at least that's what i remember reading
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (drewthomas14)

My B16A was attached to an auto when I bought it. It is an OBD0 B16A with auto cams, an they are worth 150 HP, not 160, like 5 speed B16A.

I have LS B18B long greared 5 speed tranny, combined with auto cams is like having D16Z6 again.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since when does having an auto or manual transmission dictate what cams you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Looked like he explained that pretty well in his post. Different horsepower, cam and valve springs.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Looked like he explained that pretty well in his post. Different horsepower, cam and valve springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, i don't know much about auto honda's, never owned one.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry, i don't know much about auto honda's, never owned one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

NP, as far as I'm aware all/most companies tone down their auto cars.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NP, as far as I'm aware all/most companies tone down their auto cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always thought it was the torque convertor robbing power.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM

You should actually swap both cams. I have heard that the valvesprings are different but dont worry about it. when it comes to all honda being toned down because they are automatic, according to the crower catalogue the automatic 94-00 LS cams have more duration and more lift, weird
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always thought it was the torque convertor robbing power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the torque converter of course. I just mean toned down in general. Most companies. Not every car and not every Honda, just most.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Well, the torque converter of course. I just mean toned down in general. Most companies. Not every car and not every Honda, just most. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

My car isn't auto. I would never own an auto, or auto stick, or even a sequential. I don't know if you get the point , IHateJDM, but the engine was attached to an auto when I bought it, and is therefore an auto-spec engine. My car has always been a 5 speed.

Stock Integra shifter(has an S bend, as opposed to stock Civic shifter with one bend):

Yeah, might as well swap both, but I wasn't sure if the exhaust cam was any better than auto-spec, since they all have single exhaust springs.

Also, what about the 3 different lobe sizes? I'm sure B16A has 2 sizes.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

measure the cams when they are out, my guess is that they are exactly the same.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Got 5 speed cams, should I use the exhaust one too, or just intake? More? (diegoaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if you get the point , IHateJDM, but the engine was attached to an auto when I bought it, and is therefore an auto-spec engine. My car has always been a 5 speed.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was referring to the stock engines that came in auto's in general, not your specific motor. I do get the point. Do you have a micrometer? If so, measure the lobes when the cams are out, just curious what the difference in the specs are.