Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

good suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good suspension setup?

so i have a 97 civic hx, and im looking to finally drop this thing

so far i have these things, and could you guys let me know if i need anything else cuz i have no idea what camber kit to get the car is for daily use not for racing or anything.

-stock hx 14" rims

-Tein S-Tech Springs
-Neuspeed Front strut bar
-progress rear sway bar
-tokico shocks (non adj)
-energy bushings

i need a camber kit...i think i saw one on here an omnipower front and rear camber kit for $170, but people say those are no good because of ball joints? someone please help me out and i am on a budget of about $300 to buy the remaining parts

thanks alot
Old 11-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: good suspension setup? (HondaEJ7)

you don't need a camber kit at all. you don't want an omni one anyway the bushings like to rip out of them.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so do you think what i have right now is good enough? i dont want my tires to get all screwed up. after i get this put in i would go get an alignment, but i was just wondering if i needed anything else. any more info?

thanks a bunch i didnt know that i didnt need a camber kit, i always thought u needed one no matter how much u lowered
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaEJ7)

you will need to get an alignment after to have the toe set right. Having negative camber will make the car handle better and doesn't cause tire wear like people think it does. As long as you have the alignment guys seet the toe to zero front and rear you wont have any wear problems.

If you want more info about this do a search on the suspension forum.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

It would certainly be nice to have a camber kit for the fronts at least, since if you drop more than 1" or so then you'll have quite a bit of negative camber. In the rear, the alignment shop can adjust the camber without a kit, but not for the front. That said, I'm poor after my suspension purchase and am currently running without camber kit for the front. It's something like -2deg right now. Hopefully the tires won't disappear in a month or something like that. But I won't know till then!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (violence_hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by violence_hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would certainly be nice to have a camber kit for the fronts at least, since if you drop more than 1" or so then you'll have quite a bit of negative camber. In the rear, the alignment shop can adjust the camber without a kit, but not for the front. That said, I'm poor after my suspension purchase and am currently running without camber kit for the front. It's something like -2deg right now. Hopefully the tires won't disappear in a month or something like that. But I won't know till then!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true, do some research before posting BS. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i asked some other people, and they said since i have the tein s-tech springs, i wont need a camber kit because im not dropped as much, but i would need an alignment. i also heard about a washer trick where u add 1-2 washers onto ur rear arm bolts and it fixes the camber. does anyone know if this actually works because if i dont need a camber kit i can spend $250 on something else.

thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaEJ7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i asked some other people, and they said since i have the tein s-tech springs, i wont need a camber kit because im not dropped as much, but i would need an alignment. i also heard about a washer trick where u add 1-2 washers onto ur rear arm bolts and it fixes the camber. does anyone know if this actually works because if i dont need a camber kit i can spend $250 on something else.
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, this is how the alignment shop did my rear camber. Be sure to use longer bolts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true, do some research before posting BS. Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So exactly what have I wrote that was not true? Everything? Nothing? How about if you're going to be a smartass, put some effort into it so you don't become a jackass instead. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: (violence_hero)

Dude, I suggest you get your alignment done, and then take a look at how much negative camber you have. From here you can decide if you need a kit or not. But, 1 - 1.5 degrees of negative camber is nothing to worry about. Any more than this and you might consider getting a kit.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: good suspension setup? (HondaEJ7)

Civic's actually come with -1 camber in the rear from the factory.

I did the washer trick on my Civic when I had it dumped, it does work but fixing the rear camber really doesn't do much, all the weight is on the front.

I would say getting a camber kit is based on how low you have your car. I don't think you'd need one if it was only dropped an inch, maybe even an 1 1/2, but over that I might look into one.

More importantly, get an alignment like they say and get your toe set to zero.