Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going turbo

i have an ek hatch and im going turbo i have to the turbo i bought it from egturbo on these boards. how much boost do you think my rods and pistons can handle i have a usdm b18c its compression is gonna be lowered to either 8 5 1 or 9 0 1 thx for any help guys.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: going turbo (youngster)

depends on the internals, hardware you have and if it's sleeved. search in the forced induction forum.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much boost do you think my rods and pistons can handle i have a usdm b18c its compression is gonna be lowered to either 8 5 1 or 9 0 1 thx for any help guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, why are you asking how much boost your stock rods and pistons can handle if you're going to be lowering the compression to 8.5 or 9.0:1...are you going to run five head gaskets or something?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:13 PM

Default Re: going turbo (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Um, why are you asking how much boost your stock rods and pistons can handle if you're going to be lowering the compression to 8.5 or 9.0:1...are you going to run five head gaskets or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was wondering how do you lower compression
Old 11-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: going turbo (screech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats what i was wondering how do you lower compression</TD></TR></TABLE>

By making the combustion chamber larger.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

By making the combustion chamber larger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha i think the post creator doesn't know what hes talking about.

first off its not how much boost you motor can handle boost is all relitive and you can not have something relitive be a key to the door. because it will change. youre stock gsr can handle 300whp if tuned correctly, as far as running 8:1 compression i would not suggest this at all unless you are gona be pushing MAJOR boost, youre turbo will never spool (well it might but not for a long time). i suggest you do alot more research befor you start this project i know alot more about turbo's then you do i can tell, and i would still be iffy building and installing a homemade turbo kit. I know i have the skills and the base knowledge but there still alot of stuff i don't know and ALot more you don't know
Old 11-17-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Re: going turbo (slammed_93_hatch)

Go read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. That's a good start.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo (GreenGoblin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenGoblin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. That's a good start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but nothing beats doing it yourself and experiencing it first hand. read and collect knowledge and then apply it.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search its your friend and u will learn how much boost most honda motors can handle in almost any situation because everyone and their brother has made a post on how much boost can my motor handle thread.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Re: going turbo (GreenGoblin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenGoblin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. That's a good start.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats a great start. don't buy anymore stuff till you read that book, or learn everything via some other source.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats a great start. don't buy anymore stuff till you read that book, or learn everything via some other source.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good call guys. Don't just slap some **** on your car and not understand what you are doing or I can guarantee you are going to break stuff.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:37 AM

Default Re: going turbo (Ricey McRicerton)

i was told by a mechanic that i would need to cause the compression ratio was to high on the motor i wasnt to sure cause in a lot of magazines and articles i read say its dangerous to run like more than 8 lbs on a stock gsr motor cause the comression ratio was so high. and i havent put the turbo on yet cause my head is going into the shop to get all new valves cause the ones in my number 2 cyclinder are bent. and i dont claim to know everything about turbos. mine is a turbonetics t3/t4 with fmic turbonetics deltawastgate downpipe 440cc injectors smc fuel controller which to be honest i never heard of and im not sure what it does so if you guys can help me with that it would be great if your going to be a dick dont even bother replying plz. have you heard the saying if your not breaking **** your not going fast enough lol jk anyone know where i can get a carbon fiber lip a good not to expensive clutch and a carbon fiber wing perferbly civic type r style thx
Old 11-18-2003, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was told by a mechanic that i would need to cause the compression ratio was to high on the motor i wasnt to sure cause in a lot of magazines and articles i read say its dangerous to run like more than 8 lbs on a stock gsr motor cause the comression ratio was so high. and i havent put the turbo on yet cause my head is going into the shop to get all new valves cause the ones in my number 2 cyclinder are bent. and i dont claim to know everything about turbos. mine is a turbonetics t3/t4 with fmic turbonetics deltawastgate downpipe 440cc injectors smc fuel controller which to be honest i never heard of and im not sure what it does so if you guys can help me with that it would be great if your going to be a dick dont even bother replying plz. have you heard the saying if your not breaking **** your not going fast enough lol jk anyone know where i can get a carbon fiber lip a good not to expensive clutch and a carbon fiber wing perferbly civic type r style thx</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. That mechanic doesn't know all.

Yes, lower compression is better. But there are peeps here with turbos on their ITR set ups. The ITR is something like 11.1 CR. And the LS is at 9.2 I think, can't remember, but you could run 10psi on stock internals. The GSR is only 10.1 I believe.

A Drag Gen 3 or Rev Hard Stage 1 would do you just fine with stock on the inside.

How much boost do you plan on running?

http://www.dragturbokits.com
http://www.revhard.com
Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: going turbo (D16Z6racing)

wow. i highly suggest you read that book first. it's the best $25 you'll sink into your project. a turbocharged engine is a lot more complicated then you or that mechanic might think.

know what you're doing before you do it.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:43 PM

Default Re: going turbo (jwn7)

its no my machanic its a machanic at some shop that i dont go to i want to run like 12 lbs daily driven as long as it will be safe
Old 11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its no my machanic its a machanic at some shop that i dont go to i want to run like 12 lbs daily driven as long as it will be safe</TD></TR></TABLE>

You aernt listenting at all..12psi on ANY stock motor is not a good idea (IMHO). Read the book before you ask us any more questions and end up wasting your time and money on a setup you don't understand. If you don't understand enough about it to do it yourself, then you are going to end up paying 5x as much as you should on a turbo project.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo (Ricey McRicerton)

you can run 12lbs...but only can you do this safely with good tuning. again, like everyone has stated...do your homework first.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: going turbo (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can run 12lbs...but only can you do this safely with good tuning. again, like everyone has stated...do your homework first.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

listen to him he helped me lots of times.. awesome guy.. hey wassup dude. when u gettin ur kit in?? i wanna see pics GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:02 PM

GAH!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...07846

GO, BUY, READ!