Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

going to get a del sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to get a del sol

is there any problems with the 93 del sol si?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:15 AM
dAng!

Default Re: going to get a del sol (95CIVICEXCOUPE)

its got the older seal around the pillars and winshield unless it was updated back during the recall period. if it was not updated, the car will probably leak and you would have to drop another 250 bux to get it replaced. other than that, if it's an auto, i wouldnt buy. if it's a stick, it'll be alright. only downside, its not a del sol vtec with the dohc vtec b16.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Re: going to get a del sol (Black Light)

93 Si.....excellent start point. You'll have an easy time dropping in a B series, and you have all the creature comforts that comes with the upper level models (VTEC and Si). If its a stick , auto

What are your plans with the car?

The seals aren't that big of a deal - get them replaced. The dealer did mine back in 97 for free, as well as the "lock kit" for the roof pins (eliminates the rattle). Been a great ride for almost 5 years now......

Steve
Old 06-13-2002, 08:08 AM

Default Re: going to get a del sol (stevecockrill)

steve I was wondering the same thing. looking to ditch my swapped 95 cx for a dels sol.

(1)does it rattle alot? and
(2)how do you deal with chassis flex?
Old 06-13-2002, 08:32 AM

Default Re: going to get a del sol (GTRsi)

93 SI, manual...red...wasnt leaking when it rained last nite...needs paint job tho...

i will be learning manual with this car too...sold my 95 civic ex auto to learn manual...
Old 06-13-2002, 10:12 AM

GTRsi: Well, the rattling is more of a "clunk" probably caused by the roof pins hitting the chassis where they lock. I took my roof apart a couple of months ago, and one of my pins on the rear (passenger side) rattles - it turns out it can be wiggled back and forth in its sleeve. The answer is to eliminate the movement in the sleeve. I need to adjust it a tad, but I haven't had a chance lately (4 hours commuting each day ). It can be fixed for sure.

I have part numbers for the roof lock kit (which cured the rattles at one point) and also the seals at home if needed. That way, order from hparts.com and save a bundle. I had no problems until I installed my suspension - go stiff, and like any car things start to rattle, targa top, sunroof, or whatever it may be. I also installed ES poly motor mount inserts so that didn't help with things!!

I plan to eliminate rattles and vibration by pulling my interior, stripping the factory tar and installing sound deadening sheets and spray in the nooks and crannies. It might add a few pounds of weight, but nothing major, and will make the interior vibration and rattle free, and quieter. I'm not into all out weight reduction since I want the car to be comfortable enough as a daily driver (I actually have another car anyway for the long *** commute, but I still take my Sol a couple of times a month, plus all the pleasure driving is in the Sol.....)

95CIVICEXCOUPE: My car is original paint too, and needs painting......40000 highway miles one year put in enough rock chips to make the moon jealous!! I plan to get that done at some point also when I can afford it. I have only had the commuter (02 Ford Escape) for 2 months, so haven't had a chance to do any work on the Sol......also got married last month (finally!).

Great news its a manual.....much better than the auto (IMO). Get a nice short shifter too - the stock one is ok, but I like a real short stubby shift. I have a B&M Edge, also cut down about an inch, and about 1/2 inch cut from the bottom of the stock shift ****. I can take pics maybe this weekend with my dig cam if you like.

Also good news about the seals.....your Sol may have had the seals replaced anyway......there's a trick to tell which I can show you (pics) if you like.

Oh, on the chassis flex subject......my car is now very nicely stiff after being somewhat sloppy stock - remember there's no rear sway or front strut bar on the 93's......here's what I did.

1. First thing is a front strut bar. Its a must and GREATLY reduced chassis flex, especially with the roof off. Makes a world of difference. I got a Neuspeed one, as I like the 4 point mounting design. Better yet MAY be one that mounts to the firewall too. Haven't seen any like that though.

2. I bought a lower rear control arm tie bar (Neuspeed), since it was cheap and I had no money at the time, but needed to mod something!! Didn't make much difference really, not like #1 above. I had it off for a while, but its back on now (see #5 below).

3. Neuspeed rear upper strut bar. Nice, easy install and can be removed if you need trunk space. I like it as you can slip a case of beer back there and it won't slide around as much! Bought used from a dude on the web.

4. Progress competition coilovers. Wonderful product. I don't move mine up and down, just set and forget. Easy install with handtools. Excellent control, but the car still had a tendancy to understeer.......

5. Integra Type R rear sway bar. Cheap, big, beefy and allows you to bring the tail around when you get off the gas hard in a corner. Leaves the car with almost perfectly neutral balance. I love it.

The ride is a little stiff on crappy roads, but its awesome. Huge improvement in body roll (its on rails!) and almost no chassis flex at all. BTW.....I have 16x7 Rota subzeros and 205/45/16 Kumhos. Loving every minute of it.

I'm in the process of updating my website (see sig) which will someday soon have all my mods and installation how-2's included and pics too. I have some pics posted on another site if you wanna see (some are on this board in the past couple of days)..... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=206636

Hope that helps!

Steve
Old 06-13-2002, 10:20 AM

I drive a blue 93 del sol si and I used to drive a GMC Jimmy with the luxury package. Let me tell you something, going from ANY car to a del sol, you will think "Wow, this car sounds like absolute **** while you drive it". The road noise is horrible, its clanky and rattles, and being on the highway is unbearable. The trunk leaks, the roof leaks, and the ****** fogs up to a point of non-driveability when it rains or when its cold outside. The only good time to drive it is when its hot out and you can have the top off. That way there's no more road noise since its open area, and you don't notice all the rattles and ****. And about body roll and chassis flex... my suspension is stock and I don't experience either of those, ever. My car will spin out before the body rolls, it corners like a ****. Thats one of the only things I like about it. I really wish I would have kept my SUV because it was so ******* nice of a ride compared to this horse buggy.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: going to get a del sol (OKSolSi)

Forgot to mention why the rear lower control arm tie bar was off for a while - its because the ITR rear sway bar mounts too close to the LCA pivot bolt - but get a Beaks SRK and you have no problems......

OKSolSi: I don't think that you can compare the ride quality/comfort of the del Sol with anything like an SUV or a luxury sedan. Its a different league. Its almost as bad as saying the SUV sucks because you can't take off ramps at 90 mph. I have an SUV also, and its nice a quiet and comfy, but I love to DRIVE the del Sol, despite the rattles, etc. I have no problems with it fogging up ever. Try a/c and heat......works great for me! Being on the highway IS noisier than some cars, but not all. Compare to a Civic of similar age, and you'll find the del Sol is not worse than any car out there. Yes, its no Cadillac, but I wouldn't want to drive something like that for the fun factor.

I drove to St. Louis, MO from College Station, TX with the lowered suspension......about 3000 miles in just a few days. It was noisier (but see my post above - I plan to add sound deadening) than a luxury car, but not to the point of being unbearable. The enjoyment of driving it makes it less horrible IMO.

Try a Miata for an uncomfortable ride......jeez!! The Sol's interior room is AWESOME compared to the Miata, but I still liked the way the Miata drove. If there was no del Sol, I may just have bought a Miata (my sister has one anyway!).

Steve
Old 06-13-2002, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info, pls post the pics...i wanna know about the generica upper strut bars? are they ok...

oh and congrats on the marriage...u guys must be happy...

[Modified by 95CIVICEXCOUPE, 8:04 PM 6/13/2002]
Old 06-13-2002, 11:18 AM

Generic bars.....depends on the mounting point style.

See the four point mounting?? I think its much stiffer than ones that just have the round mounting tabs. For the extra cost, go with that style. I have NO complaints at all!!

For pics (some general ones of my car) browse around http://personalwebs.myriad.net/delsol/images/ ....I'll get the roof seal pics as soon as I have a chance.

Steve
Old 06-13-2002, 11:34 AM

don't you need to drill the holes for the nuespeed bar, opposed to just bolting on the other type(round flanged ones)
Old 06-13-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Re: going to get a del sol (Grimm)

No, the Neuspeed mounting points are where the upper A arms attach to the shock tower (the A arms at the top of the suspension).....there are already four nuts on the bolts that come through from underneath. The Neuspeed bar comes with larger nylon locking nuts also. Its a very good piece. I believe there is at least one copy of the same style, but I don't know who makes it.

HTH!

Steve