Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ghetto Style Fuel Injector Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 05:40 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ghetto Style Fuel Injector Tuning

Had a weird thing happen the other night...

I've been trying out different spark plugs lately, looking for an alternative to NGK's. I'm running Champion Copper Plus 318 spark plugs right now. Worked great for a week or so, then...

Ever been running down the highway and you know something is wrong, but you can't put a finger on it?

After I installed the Champions, when I was droning down the road, doing 70-80, everything was fine, but as soon as I would press the pedal down for a LITTLE extra power/speed, I could feel the engine 'kick', like VTEC was going into 'power mode' or something. This isn't particularily unusual, except it usually takes a period of time, depending on how far I push the peadl down, and is usually very linear and predictable. Figured it might be the plugs. Hrm...

Then, a few nights ago, I started my car and it was running on 3-cylinders. I tried to beat the CEL. I popped the hood latch, got out and started pulling plug wires one-at-a-time, with the engine running, trying to find the dead cylinder.

#4 cylinder was dead, however the spark plug boot was arcing madly when I pulled it off the plug, so I knew the ignition was okay. Besides, the plugs were only a couple of weeks old - couldn't be that. I decided to start taking the fuel injectors 'off-line.'

Pulled the wire off #1 injector - idle dropped - replaced it.

Pulled the wire off #2 injector - idle dropped - replaced it.

Pulled the wire off #3 injector - idle dropped - replaced it.

Pulled the wire off #4 injector - dead as a door nail.

Scratched my head. Now what?

At wit's end, I whipped out the ol' Leatherman and tapped the #4 fuel injector body a couple of times - nothing. Tried it a 3rd time, and Woo Hoo, #4 came back to life. Closed the hood, got back in the car - no CEL. Drove it home like nothing happened.

It's been a couple of days and a few 100 miles later now, and my ride is running great! No starting problems. Runs down the road with no weirdness. Getting mad mileage, blah, blah, blah.

I figure either the fuel injector was clogged, and the tapping dislodged it, or it has some sort of internal electrical problem. Who knows? Only time will tell...

Anyway, thought this might come in handy if, like me, you're 100 miles away from home at 2 AM and your injector[s] decide to take a ****. Might save you a tow charge and expensive repair bill.

BTW - The Champion 318's are running - well - like a champ. I'll report later, after I've tested them a little longer.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ghetto Style Fuel Injector Tuning (BlackDeuceCoupe)

i had... hmmm..... you can say a similar problem...

the problem wasn`t sudden it went incresing from day to another....
first it started when starting the car warm, i had to start it several times till it turned on.... few days later same ****,, like ten days after that when i started the car i smelled gasoline... hmm... i wondered what was hapening... sensors? that wasn`t the case.... runned the car had no choice... everything was looking good..
then a few days later i poped the hood and saw gasoline on the fuel rail. (fpr area) wtf?? cleaned it and runned the car like 2 or 3 days then today i poped the hood and saw gasoline same place..... i looked at the fpr bolts (were all tightened properly) looked at the rubber things also were all good... pulled the vaccum hose.. and guess what?? the gasoline was spraying from the upper side of the regulator (vaccum thing)... then i removed the fpr and installed back the factory one.... any ways the ls/vtec is on the way so i`ll install a new one with the new heart though....

thats my story guys...