Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

getting 10-12 mpg. stock GSR motor in eg

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting 10-12 mpg. stock GSR motor in eg

well i had a thread posted on here about a month and a half ago and im still fixing my problems.
im semi-noobish and i got done dirty by a guy that sold me a motor. left it pretty much unfinished and barely running.
still on a single cam non vtec ecu.
without an 02 sensor,knock sensor,intake/temp sensor/tps sensor
i dont know how it ran
i have all sensors in for now except tps because the one we put on broke
i spent my last 120 on a "virgin p72" but it happend to be socketed for a chip without a chip so it wouldnt even start my car... but it really had hondata in it before and not a chip so until i can get it chipped...my friend let me borrow a p28 ecu made for an automatic because thats all he had...that made a noticeable difference and now i have vtec

but my new mechanic said my timing is off because when it idles it goes up and down and the idles spudder up and down a few hundred rpms...
im getting the timing fixed in about a week on the timing belt side and getting the tps sensor hooked up...and hopefully the ecu chipped but
why am i getting 10-12 mpg? so much smoke comes out of my exhaust and everything still reaks of straight gasoline.
its running rich to the max

is the timing being off causing it to run CRAZY rich???

thanks for any help
Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting 10-12 mpg. stock GSR motor in eg

any help anyone???
i just need to know if the timing being off can affect my car that bad to make me run SUPER RICH and give me like 12 mpg
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump ^^
Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you've got quite a few issues to deal with there.

First of all, you're running an automatic ECU. That's already problematic there.

Secondly, you have no TPS sensor hookedup? Obviously the car is going to run terrible. Do you even know what a TPS sensor does? If you know what it does, you'd see why you're getting terrible gas mileage.

And lastly, that's not your timing being off making it surge at idle. You've either got a vacuum leak, sensor unplugged, or a bad or clogged IACV.

Fix these problems then come back.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ before i put in the auto ecu and when i had a working tps sensor on i still got horrible gas mileage and running hella rich. i had the tps on for a couple weeks then it broke and my car bogged and so we had to take it off so i could even drive it.

and what is IACV-noob
where would i be having a vacuumn leak?
my secondary butterfly on the intake manifold is just open i think. but i hear a lot of people leave it open but thats just how my intake manifold was when the guy swapped my motor
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's killing your gas mileage too. The secondary plates should NOT be held open.

Search for IACV, it's probably the MOST talked about sensor on H-T.

You can have a vacuum leak in tons of places, you need to find it yourself, we can't find it for you.

Why don't you have your "new mechanic" look at it?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you put on the tps did you adjust it with a multimeter? The auto ecu can make your idle go up and down. Get a new tps and get it adjusted right cant just throw it on, and get the right ecu then maybe we could help you more.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not your timing belt. Maybe your ignition timing? Maybe not anything to do in relation to timing. Do a basic tune up/maintenance first. And don't chip your ecu until everything runs well stock, at least that's what I would do.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you getting low mpg? good god theres so many things that you didnt do right..

First of all you should get a STOCK USDM or JDM p72 ECU obd1 MANUAL ECU.. you cant run your motor off a single cam ecu.. no matter what it is unless its chipped or reprogrammed to DOHC

Second you need to hook up the 02 sensors, the tps, map and IACV sensors.. those are very important

Third it doesnt matter if you secondary butterflies on the manifold is working or not.. it shouldnt give you problems.. people unplug the sensor all the time

Last DONT RUN YOUR CAR AGAIN.. meaning driving around until you get those main things fixed.. You need to get rid of ALL the check engine lights for GOD sake I wonder how many of them there are..
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
why are you getting low mpg? good god theres so many things that you didnt do right..

First of all you should get a STOCK USDM or JDM p72 ECU obd1 MANUAL ECU.. you cant run your motor off a single cam ecu.. no matter what it is unless its chipped or reprogrammed to DOHC

Second you need to hook up the 02 sensors, the tps, map and IACV sensors.. those are very important

Third it doesnt matter if you secondary butterflies on the manifold is working or not.. it shouldnt give you problems.. people unplug the sensor all the time

Last DONT RUN YOUR CAR AGAIN.. meaning driving around until you get those main things fixed.. You need to get rid of ALL the check engine lights for GOD sake I wonder how many of them there are..
^ the only thing i did wrong was take it to a shop who left me with an unfinished swap.
i couldnt do the swap myself because i dont have the knowledge of a mechanic.
the new mechanic i went to about a month ago hooked up all my sensors and then there was no check engine light until the tps sensor broke in the next few days. i guess there was one on my car when i got the swap back but it ended up breaking.

i dont think my cars idle is bouncing because of the automatic ecu because its been idling like this since i got my car back from the original guy who did the swap. the auto p28 is running my car much better than the single cam non vtec ecu i had in it but i know its still not the right ecu ..
i bought a "virgin p72" for a manual off a guy..but it turned out not even starting my car because its socketed for a chip. but theres no chip in it.
so the only thing i can do is get a chip for it so atleast i have a p72.
but im just gonna have the vtec kick in at 5000 rpms..and keep it like a stock gsr basemap.
i want to keep the ecu as much like a stock gsr as posible.

so this comes down to

my timing being off
a vacumn leak??
and the wrong ecu
but i dont think putting in a p72 into my car will make my car go from getting 12mpg to like 30 what a stock gsr has.

but i never know. im a noob at this. and i need help because i cant really do much myself and im sorta scared to try because i dont want to mess things up myself since i have no experience.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone is trying to help you, but you need to get your tps fixed and the right ecu. The problem is both those things will make your car run like crap so until you get those things fixed its hard to trouble shoot anything else as a problem
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and trust me the ecu will make your idle bounce, it may not be your original problem but its not going to get better until you replace it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jxhxb
the only thing i did wrong was take it to a shop who left me with an unfinished swap.
This is why your having problems. Not saying that your Honda isnt a good place to cut your teeth on your automotive practice, but you should have done more research first.

Go to a book store and buy some books on Automotive Repair/Automotive Modification, & Electronic Fuel Injection (note. SA Design has really good books). Then buy roughly 500$ or more in tools before you start trying to change things on your Honda.

If you decide to let shops work on your car instead, thats your business too. But then sometimes you get these kinds of problems with businesses when you do.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jxhxb
^ the only thing i did wrong was take it to a shop who left me with an unfinished swap.
the new mechanic i went to about a month ago hooked up all my sensors and then there was no check engine light until the tps sensor broke in the next few days. i guess there was one on my car when i got the swap back but it ended up breaking.

i dont think my cars idle is bouncing because of the automatic ecu because its been idling like this since i got my car back from the original guy who did the swap. the auto p28 is running my car much better than the single cam non vtec ecu i had in it but i know its still not the right ecu ..
i bought a "virgin p72" for a manual off a guy..but it turned out not even starting my car because its socketed for a chip. but theres no chip in it.
so the only thing i can do is get a chip for it so atleast i have a p72.
but im just gonna have the vtec kick in at 5000 rpms..and keep it like a stock gsr basemap.
i want to keep the ecu as much like a stock gsr as posible.

so this comes down to

my timing being off
a vacumn leak??
and the wrong ecu
but i dont think putting in a p72 into my car will make my car go from getting 12mpg to like 30 what a stock gsr has.

but i never know. im a noob at this. and i need help because i cant really do much myself and im sorta scared to try because i dont want to mess things up myself since i have no experience.
Good GOD dude.. listen to us..

Buy a Manual Obd1 P72 ecu STOCK VIRGIN!! no chip or anything.. you can find them on ebay

Buy a new TPS sensor.. You can find them on ebay as well. Replace it with the broken one then adjust it with a multimeter.. actually just install it then come back here and do a search on how to adjust the tps sensor..

An automatic ecu is not made to be used with an engine with a manual transmission.. no matter how good it runs you will need a manual ecu..

Do these things then come back and tell us whats up.. otherwise stop askin us the same questions
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy a stock p72 chip (plus goodies if you want but keep the maps close to stock) to put in your ecu for like 25$. You may need a adapter if it was already hooked up for hondata, PM jdm-james he'll hook you up. Dont trust mechanics, there (most) already dumb as f k plus you have a swapped car. Get that tps on there or it will run like crap and have trouble idling. Honda's are notorious for the roaming idle, like stated above search iacv.
I hope this isnt your dd (it'll just make you learn faster), take your time, do research, and hopefully find someone who's decent with hondas. You already have a whole web site here. Check your main relay located under or near the fuse box (im assuming you have a 92-95 civic) and pop it open to make sure its not corroded. Make sure your marks are lined up on the cams (u may have to take the valve cover off) and use a timing light to set timing. Get a compression tester and perform a compression test, its very simple.
P.S. you dont need 500$ in tools
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
You've either got a vacuum leak, sensor unplugged, or a bad or clogged IACV.
x2
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM

i bought my civic with a gsr in it. that was running a single cam vx ecu in it. i had all the same problems. to start have you even wired the nock sensor, the IAB solenoid, and the EVAP solenoid to your engine harness?

also.. you will have to convert your 1wire o2 sensor to 4 wire if you decide to use your sohc harness. that would ecplain your poor gas milage. your ecu wont read your 1wire o2 if its looking for a 4 wire 02 sensor. the computer doesnt know if its too rich or too lean withought the corresponding o2 sensor

next question what year is your civic. i didnt catch it. if its 92 cx or any year si the vtec pressure switch and vtec solenoid already wired into the stock harness.

(jsut a stock GSR wiring harness wont help. because the sensors the computer are trying to control only go to the shock tower, but not from the tower to the ECU)

this may help you...

the wires you need to add
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/...ktowerplug.jpg

and for detailed ECU pin schematics (just incase. it helped me with other issues as well)
http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd1.htm

and about your idle serge. sounds to me like your getting a typical gsr IACV issue. they like to "unscrew" themselves. you can take it off and clean it with brake cleaner or something to see if it helps. if not you have to take it apart and clean it. when you take it apart its self explanditory. when you put it back together make sure you screw the white plastic retainer in ALL the way and back it out 1 turn.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM

ps a chip and a base map that will make your socketed ecu usefull, will cost you no more than 20-30$
Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once you get your sensor situation taken care of give this guy a call, give him all the details about your motor (if you know) and he'll help get you a half decent match or OEM basemap to get you going.

www.phearable.net

After you get it running it wouldnt be a bad idea to have it dialed in on a Dyno (by an experienced tuner) just to fine tune it for longevity and half decent MPG.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks everyone for the help. first thing is..the guy that sold me the p72 socketed said he will pay for my chip and is gonna pay for it from one of the best tuners here in vegas so i think i have the chip problem solved..
and i will check on the IACV issue and let u know how everything goes

as the 02 sensor. i think the guy converted it to the 4 wire because i baught a brand new 02 from autozone and he ran longer wires for the gsr because my headers 02 bong is farther down. and i bought the o2 for a gsr
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 PM

you jsut have to add 2 heater wires and a ground to go with the existing signal wire. along with lengthaning the O2 wires from the front to the back, like you said he did.

but look into wiring the IAB, KNOCK, EVAP (havent seen a reply about the adding of wires to your engine harness and body harness)

and please dont do what most ppl do when they swap in a gsr. T a vacumm line to the second butterfly actuator to leave them open.

and its good to hear the guy who sold you hte ECU is giving you the chip after leaving you with an utterly usless, chipless ECU

and about the auto ECU on a manual harness. if its chipped you jsut disable the programming for hte auto transmission.

an automatic p28 is the cheapest ECU to put a socket and chip into. it requires the least amount of parts to be added to the board.