Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GENUINE Honda MTF vs. Conventional oil vs. Synthetic oil vs. ATF

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. They're the same oil filter. Your friends are retarded.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post pictures of them side by side, then I'll believe you. But trust me, they're identical. The 15400 PLMA-02 goes on every single Honda vehicle out there, as stated before, aside from the S2000 and the Insight.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drave
FORGET MY FRIEND, I have compared the two side by side, and the K is longer and skinnier, so how are they the same? When you go into an auto store thier diff part numbers, so how they the same? Yes they screw on diff engines, but diff in size, is any one better or not?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post pictures of them side by side, then I'll believe you. But trust me, they're identical. The 15400 PLMA-02 goes on every single Honda vehicle out there, as stated before, aside from the S2000 and the Insight.
Ight I gotta go buy another K filter to do that, but I'm not talking OEM filter so is that the diff?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In auto stores... I'm talking about GENUINE HONDA OIL FILTER, which will fit on anything. And dude, an oil filter is an oil filter. You're not gonna get a performance increase, if that's what you're asking.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wtf are you talking about? There's only 1 Honda oil filter..
i worked at honda in the parts dep. for a loong time and we handed only ONE filter out unless it was for a insight OR a s2k but most other hondas use the SAME filter 06+ si's being in that list. as far as it helping.. its only a freakin filter..

oh and before you thread jacked ur own thread lol i would HIGHLY recommend GM SYNCROMESH

S2k filters do fit bseries and all other hondas (maybe not insight) its shorter and fatter but i HIGHLY doubt ull notice a performance increase.. its only a oil filter..
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I'm gonna put Honda MTF, if I cant get that then I will put synchromesh.

The reason I was asking about the oil filter is it does repressurize the oil back into the system which is vital, so just wanted to know if thier was some other diff K filter that was better.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No...every oil filter does that.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No...every oil filter does that.
Thanks captain obvious I know that.

I just wanted to know if a different design would be more 'efficient' or more able to handle the 'stresses of prolonged' circut racing.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

He may just be going off of aftermarket filters and his experience with his friends, in which case he's not entirely wrong. Take a look at the K&N oil filters for example. B-series part # HP1004 is 88mm x 79mm in height x diameter. K-series is # HP1010, and is 95mm x 71mm. Taller and thinner. So be nice. :p
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
He may just be going off of aftermarket filters and his experience with his friends, in which case he's not entirely wrong. Take a look at the K&N oil filters for example. B-series part # HP1004 is 88mm x 79mm in height x diameter. K-series is # HP1010, and is 95mm x 71mm. Taller and thinner. So be nice. :p
Thanks bro, perfect numbers^^^, I am going off aftermarket filters, I don't buy everything from honda to damn expensive!!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
Thanks bro, perfect numbers^^^, I am going off aftermarket filters, I don't buy everything from honda to damn expensive!!
you shouldve said that in your original statement, honda filters arent even that expensive. It is assumed that your are talking about honda filters unless you state otherwise..
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

About the MTF...
I had Honda MTF in my tranny, probably original or close to original... 158k miles on the del sol. It was old and wasn't as smooth. I changed it to Mobil1 full synthetic 10w30, and it was better, but not much. Then I decided to change to Honda MTF, and ever since that the tranny has been a lot smoother during shifting.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bro, perfect numbers^^^,
If you go buy a oem filter for a k20a2 it will give you the same filter as type r/gsr integra bseries. The taller filter gives you 5-10% more oil pressure if not mistaken there was a test somewhere on s2ki

I ran Motul as oppose to honda mtf switched back didn't seem like much difference motul felt a bit smoother.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Manuel trans out of our transmission shop we run 90w in every single one honestly it doesnt break down at all stays strong and has viscosity the whole time.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine oils are rated differently than gear oils. I've seen a chart somewhere but 90w gear lube has the same viscosity as 40w engine oil or something like that.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I recall reading somewhere that synthetic wasn't great for transmissions because it's "slickness" was detrimental to the braking effect of the syncros. Don't hold me to that, just something to potentially consider.

I use synchromesh, for what it's worth.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I stick to Honda MTF.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by halocore
i have regular 10w30 in mine. Called the auto parts store and thats what they said.
10w30? seriously? wow...
I used genuine MTF Honda stuff in mine and it almost completely eliminated a 3rd gear grind that i used to get as low as 3k rpm...afterwards I used to only feel a scratch at 6.5k+ ..I HIGHLY recommend honda's MTF...using convential motor oil I would not recommend.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The thicker oils cover up a lot of noises like bearing whine, too.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna put Honda MTF
Good choice. The reason Honda owner manuals now say to use OEM Honda MTF is because motor oil chemistry changed circa 1990 to less zinc to protect catalytic converters. But the lower zinc adversely affects performance in "extreme pressure" situations like transmissions. Here is a writeup on the subject with citations: http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com/manualtrannyfluid . Probably most importantly, the price difference between using motor oil vs. OEM Honda MTF is small to none.

The GM synchromesh goes for $11 a quart at http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx . This is more than I pay at my dealer for the Honda OEM MTF.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 12-16-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EM2Civic
If you go buy a oem filter for a k20a2 it will give you the same filter as type r/gsr integra bseries. The taller filter gives you 5-10% more oil pressure if not mistaken there was a test somewhere on s2ki

I ran Motul as oppose to honda mtf switched back didn't seem like much difference motul felt a bit smoother.
^^^^This is what I wanna know, so if I put a mobil 1 oil filter for a K20 on my B-series I can gain 5-10% more oil pressure cause it is taller and thinner, can anyone else back this up???
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
HT White Ops

Alright I'ma gonna change my tranny fluid in my Y21 tranny...

Can I put any regular oil or only synthetic oil or ATF? I want to know the pro's and con's of each...
Originally Posted by Honda Bull
The new MTF has a friction modifier that they say reacts better in colder weather/climates...
Originally Posted by Shaw14
Manuel trans out of our transmission shop we run 90w in every single one honestly it doesnt break down...
A couple of things...

Honda Vics use a transaxle design. That is, the tranny and axle gears share the same oil...

The trick is to find an oil that will lubricate the axle gears and bearings without eating your tranny syncros!

Syncros work via friction - the more friction the better! Gears and bearings work best with NO friction.

Friction modifiers, so called, actually INCREASE the friction. A lot of ppl don't understand this. Friction modifiers modify the oil to make more friction, not less. They put friction modifiers in tranny oil so the syncros 'crash' faster - which causes less 'grinding' and wear - but this extra friction modified oil doesn't do your gears and bearings any good!

When you use the wrong oil, the synchros are usually the first to go. If this is the case with your ride, doctoring it up with 'friction modifiers' will make it shift better for a while, but the increased friction will eventually kill your input bearing, and so forth. At that point, it's usually game over, and time for a new tranny!

So, you see... finding an oil that works BEST in a Vic transaxle is a real balancing act!

In general, what you *need* is GL-4 GEAR OIL.

If you don't use GL-4 rated gear oil, it will either eat your synchros or wear out your gears and bearings, or both! It's a ticking time bomb...

Having said that, I've been running Honda transaxles for 8 years and never had a problem. My last tranny had 185k and shifted like the day I bought it.

What do I use?

Red Line MTL / MT-90

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...7&categoryID=7

This stuff is the real McCoy! My Honda dealer sells Red Line MTL, but I have to get Red Line MT-90 from a local speed shop (Loper's in Phoenix).

MY recommendation: If you want your tranny to shift great and last forever, use Red Line MT-90!

If you *think* $13/qt is too much to spend, there are cheaper gear oils on the market - just make sure it's GL-4 rated, or you'll be sorry in the long run!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^This is what I wanna know, so if I put a mobil 1 oil filter for a K20 on my B-series I can gain 5-10% more oil pressure cause it is taller and thinner, can anyone else back this up???

why do you want more oil pressure? you do know the only reason your gauge reads higher is because that filter is causing a bigger restriction in the oil flow. please explain to me why you want to restrict your oil flow for more oil pressure? keep your stock filter on there and you'll be just fine, I promise.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with BlackDeuceCoupe Red line or Honda MTF.

Regular motor oil will screw your syncros over time.

As for the filter discussion...

As long as you change your oil (with name brand oil) every 3k and replace the filter every oil change it doesn't really matter.

I have actually heard stories of people spinning a rod bearing be cause the premium (That advanced auto part one not K&N or Mobile 1) filter had a significant pressure drop across it.

Quick Reply: GENUINE Honda MTF vs. Conventional oil vs. Synthetic oil vs. ATF